Player Discussion Kirill Kaprizov (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackBusa24

Dec 13, 2018
Except it isn't; you have to replace those players with someone else. It's not like the Wild bought out Suter and didn't need to replace him with - someone.

Or you know, you didn't have to buy out the players and replace them?

You mean the 14 million plus? You move a guy like Zuccs or Dumba - there you go.

I think part of it also had to do with they got to keep a guy like dumba around... A guy from who from all accounts KK really likes... Due to the fact that they bought out Suter.

Personally I would rather keep the youthful asset then a guy that probably has one or two more good years in him.

If you think either Parise or suter was going to not retire when they were only being paid one or two million a year when they have that much in the bank is ludicrous.

Essentially we were screwed either way

Reactions: HobeyBroten

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I think part of it also had to do with they got to keep a guy like dumba around... A guy from who from all accounts KK really likes... Due to the fact that they bought out Suter.

Personally I would rather keep the youthful asset then a guy that probably has one or two more good years in him.

If you think either Parise or suter was going to not retire when they were only being paid one or two million a year when they have that much in the bank is ludicrous.

Essentially we were screwed either way
Can players terminate their own contracts? I wonder if a players could "retire" terminate their contract and accept a job in the front office for 1 mil for a year or two. Or would the NHL find that to be cap circumvention ?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Can players terminate their own contracts? I wonder if a players could "retire" terminate their contract and accept a job in the front office for 1 mil for a year or two. Or would the NHL find that to be cap circumvention ?

Contracts subject to recapture, they most likely would've found it to be circumvention.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Thought your guy had some pull.

I believe he was aware of Kirill's plans by the end of last season...hence the big goodbye hug.

It isn't over though, maybe Guerin can do something. But it doesn't look good right now.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
What happens if he goes to the KHL next year for 1 year? Would he technically be a FA in the NHL next year, or do the Wild still own rights?

Goose312

May 15, 2015
The recapture penalty isn't specific to just retiring. It basically boils down to if a player who has a contract which is subject to recapture isn't being paid an NHL salary in some form (salary, LTIR, buyout) for the entire duration of the salary then the team is hit with a recapture penalty. If Suter/Parise just refused to report which made their contracts void, or if they agreed to be put on waivers for the purpose of contract termination, recapture applies. Now if they agreed to contract termination and then signed somewhere else for 4 years it's kind of fuzzy on if recapture would have applied.

Though recapture would have been better than the buyout anyway so there's also that.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
correct me if im wrong, but if kap goes to the khl, doesnt that slide his team rights a year?
No, he still becomes a UFA at 27 regardless.

What it does do is prevent him from getting arbitration rights and the rest of it next summer. Because he signed his ELC at 23 he needs to play at least two seasons in the NHL for those to kick in.

Reactions: GuerinUp

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I wonder if that first ELC year counts as a professional season towards Group 6 UFA status. If so, he could sign a 1-year deal, play ~20 games & then hold out to stay under the 80 NHL game threshold. Although I’m sure there’s something in the CBA to prevent a player from doing so.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
I wonder if that first ELC year counts as a professional season towards Group 6 UFA status. If so, he could sign a 1-year deal, play ~20 games & then hold out to stay under the 80 NHL game threshold. Although I’m sure there’s something in the CBA to prevent a player from doing so.

I believe he would need to have completed 3 seasons of professional hockey while under an NHL contract to qualify for Group 6 UFA status

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I believe he would need to have completed 3 seasons of professional hockey while under an NHL contract to qualify for Group 6 UFA status

Which would be after this upcoming season if that 1st ELC year counts when he played in Russia. Even though he signed it after the KHL season had concluded, the contract was technically for the 19-20 season where he played professionally.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Which would be after this upcoming season if that 1st ELC year counts when he played in Russia. Even though he signed it after the KHL season had concluded, the contract was technically for the 19-20 season where he played professionally.

The wording on CBA specifically states "games played [...] while under an SPC". If I had to interpret that, I would assume the 2019-20 KHL season doesn't count.

What it does mean is that if Kap was allowed to play in the bubble playoffs, he could have qualified for Group 6 UFA.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
clearly there was.

Not really; even I was against buying him out. I suggested throwing him on the expansion list so that they could protect another player. What reasons were there to buy Suter out?

And no one has actually given any sort of plan on what Guerin is doing for the next 4 years except - eating 17% of the cap in unnecessary buyouts. Are we tanking? Are we shuffling the cards and see what sticks?

Reactions: FromChaos22

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Not really; even I was against buying him out. I suggested throwing him on the expansion list so that they could protect another player. What reasons were there to buy Suter out?

And no one has actually given any sort of plan on what Guerin is doing for the next 4 years except - eating 17% of the cap in unnecessary buyouts. Are we tanking? Are we shuffling the cards and see what sticks?
yes.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN

its been said numerous times that he was a locker room and management problem. i feel like we (the board) keep having this conversation over and over again.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
So business as usual, just shuffling the chairs on a sinking ship and throwing off the broken ones?
it was stated a bit ago that he is creating a culture right now. not so much shooting for the most talented all around roster. he wants everyone with the right mindset. is it exciting? not currently but it may turn into some excitment.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
its been said numerous times that he was a locker room and management problem. i feel like we (the board) keep having this conversation over and over again.

Vague allusions to locker room and management problems (which Guerin kind of but didn't really hint at) isn't really concrete evidence or reason to buy out a guy to blow a hole in your cap space.

it was stated a bit ago that he is creating a culture right now. not so much shooting for the most talented all around roster. he wants everyone with the right mindset. is it exciting? not currently but it may turn into some excitment.

Except feuding with your star players doesn't really help the culture. I agree that building a culture is a good thing (kicking out Koivu, Staal and Parise...and to some extent Suter), but not at the extent of wandering around for four years without a plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad