Player Discussion Kirby Dach: Welcome to Montreal part 2

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
His(Suzuki) entries are generally toothless though. Never a risk to keep the puck always passing it off once across the blue line. He needs to challenge the defense more often, in order to open up more passing lanes, or more importantly to create scoring chances for himself and his filthy shot.
That or rifle a puck on goal. I've mentioned it more than once the D are always playing the pass as he enters the zone.
Last season he went through a pair like butter but lost his balance because he was so surprised.
This is exactly what will open up more options. He should also defer to Slaf's side more often.
It will probably give us a better control rate.

Reactions: HankyZetts

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
You're right, maybe they should try him gaining the zone on the PP. Not that i don't appreciate Suzuki doing it.

Suzuki is much better than Slaf at gaining the zone and setting up the PP. Slaf is getting better at it but I certainly wouldn't even call it a strength in his game as he screws up many entries by making a questionable decision.

I think Slaf will be able to gain the zone more consistently in the near future but Dach is great at it as is Suzuki so he will hardly be the first option.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Suzuki is much better than Slaf at gaining the zone and setting up the PP. Slaf is getting better at it but I certainly wouldn't even call it a strength in his game as he screws up many entries by making a questionable decision.

I think Slaf will be able to gain the zone more consistently in the near future but Dach is great at it as is Suzuki so he will hardly be the first option.
Dach was becoming the first option during last year.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Dach was becoming the first option during last year.

Agreed, and he looked fantastic before getting hurt this season.

Suzuki has been incredible at it in the second half of this season so we should be loking good next year.

For the record we were comparing Slaf to Suzuki as you would not have received any push back if you were referring to Dach.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
If Dach can come back with 2-3 games left of the season à la Markov in 2012, do you do it or no point risking it? For some guys it helps ahead of summer to know knee holds up.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If Dach can come back with 2-3 games left of the season à la Markov in 2012, do you do it or no point risking it? For some guys it helps ahead of summer to know knee holds up.

No point risking it - and they won't.

You gotta understand that he would be coming into games where the teams they are facing are getting ready for the play-offs. Not enough time for him to find his rhythm relative to the rest of the team/league and just opens him up to another injury.

They'll use the summer for him to get stronger, continue skill development and he will return next year.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
No point risking it - and they won't.

You gotta understand that he would be coming into games where the teams they are facing are getting ready for the play-offs. Not enough time for him to find his rhythm relative to the rest of the team/league and just opens him up to another injury.

They'll use the summer for him to get stronger, continue skill development and he will return next year.
Haven't checked the schedule but most times these games are meaningless and involve top players being rested. But definitely a valid concern. If we face Sens forget it lol.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
This guys getting hurt honestly killed my interest for this season.
I was actually honestly ready to make some 'noise' as a team as early as this year, I was excited
And Dach was a HUGE part of that as he no longer was a '?' and was primed to establish himself as a bonafide Top6 C, and if anything Slaf was still a '?', which he himself has now answered this year like Dach did last year

But soon as Dach was dead for the season in game 2 of 82
It was the total green light I needed to hope for another top10 pick one last time to shore up the team at offense a bit more as we get ready to take the next step

Dachs injury, albeit emotionally devastating on a short term, is a small blessing in disguise for the long term as we will get just a little more help so that we can start making 'real' noise starting with next season (despite what many other somber posters feel about it, we will be decent as early as next year)
A healthy Dach this year and we most likely draft 15th

The question is simply, who are the 2 lucky guys planted next to Dach to start next year :D, it's exciting

Reactions: HabzSauce

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
This would be an awesome time to develop a skill he hasn't really ever developped in his shooting. I have no doubt his size, IQ, hands and vision are going to remain. Skating may be something that goes with the injury, who knows. I'd have him shoot 1000 pucks a day until next year lol.
He’ll be back next year, taking one timers :laugh:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Skating with authority, very promising.

Svechnikov came back this year from a similar injury and while it took him time to get going and he's not really at his previous level, he's still producing well. Dach at least will have the benefit of a full offseason to recover.

Reactions: Tyson and SlafySZN

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I miss you Kirby!

He is a amazing player. Just stay healthy please. That's the only thing that I want from you.

Can't wait to see him next year, he will come back stronger and better, I'm confident about that!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad