Player Discussion Kirby Dach: Welcome to Montreal part 2

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Monahan and Gallagher would be good linemates for him I think. Gallagher looks rejuvenated, same with Monahan. Both those guys can finish around the net and let Dach be the primary pick carrier.
I like that idea a lot, feels like there could be some chemistry there. Style wise it's a nice mix. Monahan can take all the left side faceoffs too. Gally doesn't need to have the puck to do his thing, Monahan is good at protecting the puck and working the cycle, Dach can do the zone entries and skate them out of trouble in the defensive zone.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
He should be on PP1.. only Caufield looked better than him on the PP and he's easily the best passer on the team.
Only thing, it's that they play in the same spot on the PP. I would't mind if he start on the PP2 but he's the guy on that PP until that have always the puck. Could be good for his confidence

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Only thing, it's that they play in the same spot on the PP. I would't mind if he start on the PP2 but he's the guy on that PP until that have always the puck. Could be good for his confidence

A good PP has a lot of movement. So I don't see an issue there because Dach can switch down to the front of the net, make plays behind the goal-line, leak out to the point. Caufield can slip into the bumper or go to the other side of the ice.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
A good PP has a lot of movement. So I don't see an issue there because Dach can switch down to the front of the net, make plays behind the goal-line, leak out to the point. Caufield can slip into the bumper or go to the other side of the ice.
Of course, there is a lot of things you can do and I'm sure Dach could be successful playing behind the goal line and have an option to give it to Caufield or Suzuki but I would like him to take control of the 2nd PP. I think it would be good for his offensive confidence.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Of course, there is a lot of things you can do and I'm sure Dach could be successful playing behind the goal line and have an option to give it to Caufield or Suzuki but I would like him to take control of the 2nd PP. I think it would be good for his offensive confidence.

I don't know if it will 'cause he'll get less ice-time, it always comes off of a zone clear, so you have to establish the zone with less than a minute left.. and he will have to create something with who's left.. Drouin? Gallagher? Dvorak? None of these guys are gonna help him get PP confidence by doing nothing positive.

Reactions: SlafySZN

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I don't know if it will 'cause he'll get less ice-time, it always comes off of a zone clear, so you have to establish the zone with less than a minute left.. and he will have to create something with who's left.. Drouin? Gallagher? Dvorak? None of these guys are gonna help him get PP confidence by doing nothing positive.
Yes that's a point, it would probably have been a better option if we had finisher on the 2nd PP unit. Hoffman seem to have even loss his scoring touch

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Can you send this message to Burrows please!!

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
You could put Dach in Widemans spot on the PP and he would do a better job ffs lol

But I agree, not hard to fit Dach into a PP1 with CC and Suz at established locations

I'm an overload PP1 for 1:30min over a 2 PP unit man anyway

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
If i’m not mistaken he was on PP1 this morning in practice with Caufield, Suzuki, Hoffman & Monahan. I saw some clips it seems like he was at the point, instead of a D.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

Still wish we found a way to lose Romanov but pretty understandable when you look at it this way. We simply didnt have the depth at center compared to D.

Reactions: Redux91

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
Habs's PP has no movement, so the shooting lanes rarely open. Every so-called movement goes through the pointman, who distributes either left or right.

Couple that with the other major problem of rarely being able to gain the zone and set-up (or winning faceoffs to set-up).

It's the most inept PP strategy I've seen in the league.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Habs's PP has no movement, so the shooting lanes rarely open. Every so-called movement goes through the pointman, who distributes either left or right.

Couple that with the other major problem of rarely being able to gain the zone and set-up (or winning faceoffs to set-up).

It's the most inept PP strategy I've seen in the league.

We're entering the "Just give it to Cole" era.

It's not ideal, but it's better than the "Powerless play" era of the last number of years.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

Still wish we found a way to lose Romanov but pretty understandable when you look at it this way. We simply didnt have the depth at center compared to D.

Romanov tops out as a defensive #4 dman in my opinion. We already have a bunch of 2way dmen that can replace him or have even more potential. It just hurt that the Hawks used that pick on one of my favorites in Nazar, but we only traded Romanov to get Dach. Even if Dach tops out as a 40 point center, I'd take that over Romanov any day of the week and Dach has the potential to do more.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Romanov tops out as a defensive #4 dman in my opinion. We already have a bunch of 2way dmen that can replace him or have even more potential. It just hurt that the Hawks used that pick on one of my favorites in Nazar, but we only traded Romanov to get Dach. Even if Dach tops out as a 40 point center, I'd take that over Romanov any day of the week and Dach has the potential to do more.
It was a good gamble in my opinion. Romanov's cheapest years were finished but he does not appear to be more than a #4 while Guhle and Xhekaj still have more untapped potential.

Meanwhile, the potential to acquire a big 21 year old former high pick who can be a 2C could not be passed up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad