Confirmed with Link: Kirby Dach to Montreal for 13th and 66th overall picks

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Nice to hear that isn't really his fault and looks more a bad developement by Hawks and his injurie don't help. He got 10 points in 18 games in 2020-2021 (that's a 45 points on 82 games) season and before that, play really well in playoffs too.

I wanted Nazar for Habs... but I think it's a good gamble to grab a 21 years old, big 6"4 two-way C.

I mean you can't really say that with full conviction.

Yeah we most probably rushed him, although when in the bubble he was showing out, nobody would've said that.

But then came the injury, his physical development for sure got halted and he started losing confidence until it went down the drain completely. I think he shouldn't have been brought back so soon from the injury, that was a mistake.

But not his fault at all, also can't be stated so assuredly. His finishing never really improved at any point, his faceoffs didn't improve, his physical play kind of disappeared. Even if he gets back to the bubble level of play, if those things remain the same, he won't be more than a defensive middle six type player. A fine one though, coz he's very good in the neutral zone and defensively.

Ultimately that's why he got moved imo. FO wanted someone with more dynamic potential, more scoring ability.

Im happier with Nazar honeslty. More speed and offense.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I mean you can't really say that with full conviction.

Yeah we most probably rushed him, although when in the bubble he was showing out, nobody would've said that.

But then came the injury, his physical development for sure got halted and he started losing confidence until it went down the drain completely. I think he shouldn't have been brought back so soon from the injury, that was a mistake.

But not his fault at all, also can't be stated so assuredly. His finishing never really improved at any point, his faceoffs didn't improve, his physical play kind of disappeared. Even if he gets back to the bubble level of play, if those things remain the same, he won't be more than a defensive middle six type player. A fine one though, coz he's very good in the neutral zone and defensively.

Ultimately that's why he got moved imo. FO wanted someone with more dynamic potential, more scoring ability.

Im happier with Nazar honeslty. More speed and offense.

Thanks for the report. At least if Dach don't reach his full potential in MTL, they got a pretty big good 3C in the future. But with the price Habs pay, I really hope that he improve his shooting, faceoffs and physical ability to become a solid top 6. If Hughes and Gorton pay that type of price, they believe on his potential.

Yeah I think your team are lucky to have a player like Frank Nazar, one of my favorite prospect in NHL 2022 draft.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Thanks for the report. At least if Dach don't reach his full potential in MTL, they got a pretty big good 3C in the future. But with the price Habs pay, I really hope that he improve his shooting, faceoffs and physical ability to become a solid top 6. If Hughes and Gorton pay that type of price, they believe on his potential.

Yeah I think your team are lucky to have a player like Frank Nazar, one of my favorite prospect in NHL 2022 draft.

Let's hope it works out for both our teams, Frank and Kirby!

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I've heard tonight that Hawks have received an offer including the 11 OV, is that true?
Heard it too, someone said thought but Montreal was adding the 66 pick. I assume they also would of taken Nazar still and not Geekie who I believe was considered a reach or another pick and 12th was another Dman.

Reactions: bleuetbio

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
The weirdest thing about Dach is I've never seen a player eat as many hits as he does. It's almost like he intentionally puts himself in a position to get hit. It's bizarre. The guy is a magnet.
Very true, he has taken some big hits and seemed to be a target at times

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
On a podcast with Corey Pronman, when discussing this trade he wondered if some of the gossip or rumors (forget exactly what word he used) were true about Dach and that might have been part of the reason he was traded. Sorry if this was already discussed, but what were those rumors? From context it sounded like work ethic.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
On a podcast with Corey Pronman, when discussing this trade he wondered if some of the gossip or rumors (forget exactly what word he used) were true about Dach and that might have been part of the reason he was traded. Sorry if this was already discussed, but what were those rumors? From context it sounded like work ethic.
Attitude

If things didn't go well, he'd sulk, get frustrated, break sticks, etc

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
Attitude

If things didn't go well, he'd sulk, get frustrated, break sticks, etc
And I wouldn't exactly consider this a rumor. This was all visible watching the games on TV.

I think the "work ethic" rumor was overblown due to some vague comments made by King. Not saying it isn't true, though.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
And I wouldn't exactly consider this a rumor. This was all visible watching the games on TV.

I think the "work ethic" rumor was overblown due to some vague comments made by King. Not saying it isn't true, though.
Yeah it's no secret his body language was poor

Reactions: BLKHKhockey

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
The weirdest thing about Dach is I've never seen a player eat as many hits as he does. It's almost like he intentionally puts himself in a position to get hit. It's bizarre. The guy is a magnet.
It seems like thats gotten worse, I wonder if thats a symptom of overthinking and not letting his instincts ride. Hates will say he has no instincts. f*** the haters, always.

Edit: In regards to his body language, it was poor, but that seemed more like a symptom of frustration and misallocated passion and a desire to be good, so while I’m never a fan of that stuff I think its possibly not as bad as it looked.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Dumb move, this is another Stan. This team is doomed for the next decade, maybe when Rocky moves on or passes we see some real changes, this ownership has no balls to hire a real GM it’s pathetic.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I really like the fact that you liked Kirby Dach on Chicago and you think that he deserve to be coach with another coach.

I think Dach vs Nazar will be fun to debate for many years. Nazar is one of my favorite prospect on draft 2022 and if you think that Dach have still his potential to become a solid top 6 C. I think both teams will be happy with this trade!

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
If Kirby can hit the reset button, he's probably worth closer to 4-5M.

And if he doesn't, I don't think that cap hit is that damning.

But going straight to free agency, that could be rough.

EDIT: nvm he's still an RFA after. Seems like a good deal to me.

Reactions: d rake

Crow

May 19, 2014
People are saying he has one more year of RFA due to his non nhl injury causing missed time.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
He will be a RFA at the end of the deal (because his injury at the WJC was not an NHL injury and he missed to many games that year to count as a service year). Deal could be good if he blossoms or could be another to add to the pile of Habs bad deals if he is what he is at this point.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
That's what happens when a guy is rushed to the NHL (in my opinion of course).
It’s true. It could also be he just never lives up to his draft ranking as well. Nothing in hockey is linear unfortunately, which makes situations like these unpredictable.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'm not really buying the rushed argument. Dach looked like he belonged, or at the very least was on pace to belong, in the NHL his rookie year. Then he got injured during the offseason and took a pronounced step back imho. How much of that was not recovering mentally or physically, a prolonged sophomore slump, or just not adjusting after an initial solid start and alre a dy being at his ceiling, I don't know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad