News Article: Kings would have taken Doughty over Stamkos in '08

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Lesson learned, don't take one dimensional, tough, stay-at-home type dmen in the first round. Their ceiling is VERY limited, and in Teubert's case, very likely to bust. The Rangers are also finding this out with Dylan McIlrath, and the same goes with San Jose when they selected Nick Petrecki.

That's a good point I've never thought about. Not a heck of alot of stay-at-home d-men that get taken early that pan out. When guys like Mark Stuart, Komi, and Jeff Schultz are the best of those tough stay-at-home guys, the track record is clearly there.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
The funniest part about that trade was at the Oilers press conference when Tambellini was totally clueless that Teubert had been a healthy scratch for the Monarchs for much of that season, I believe he actually snapped at the reporter who asked the question.

Just about sums up how awful those clowns running the show in Edmonton were.

My favorite thing about the Teubert flop was how the projections changed the worse and worse the guy played.

He went from the next...

Scott Stevens to
Adam Foote to
Bryan Marchment to
Sean O'Donnell to
Matt Greene to
Mark Visheau

Normally I feel bad when young players get so close but fail to reach their lifelong dreams, but not Teubert, it truly is fitting that he is playing for a team called the "Roosters" since he was something Roosters are sometimes called.

That is what former head scout Al Murray said, the scouts wanted to go with Lucic but they were overruled by management who wanted a defenseman after taking a forward and goalie in round 1.

That was Lombardi's first draft [a few months into the job] and judging by a few comments afterwards, you can tell not everyone was on the same page. That was pretty much the organizations MO, draft forwards and goalies and maybe a defenseman way down the line. It was never a priority to look at defensemen in the early rounds with the exception of Grebeshkov, until Lombardi got here.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I still don't really know how Teubert didn't stick in the leauge but Herby is probably right. Player development is oh so very important and so try to thank Taylor (and Lieweike, (still can't spell his name right ha!)) just as much as Lombardi because the Kings having to share an AHL franchise or have players just play for the Ice Dogs was not working. Taylor built the foundation and Lombardi just did the rest after that.

Captain Mittens*

I still don't really know how Teubert didn't stick in the leauge but Herby is probably right. Player development is oh so very important and so try to thank Taylor (and Lieweike, (still can't spell his name right ha!)) just as much as Lombardi because the Kings having to share an AHL franchise or have players just play for the Ice Dogs was not working. Taylor built the foundation and Lombardi just did the rest after that.
The problem was that they half assed the foundation.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I think the only defenseman to come up through the system under Taylor's watch was Joe Corvo, and they let him walk as a UFA. Visnovsky was an overage pick, as was Lilja. They traded Grebeshkov, and guys that they drafted or signed as prospects, such as Rullier, Pudlick, etc.

Look at these numbers from the last four Al Murray drafts with the Kings:

2006 draft (Al Murray's last), none of the 4 defensemen selected ever appear in a single NHL game.

2005 draft, none of the 4 defensemen selected ever appear in a single NHL game.

2004 draft, only 1 defenseman selected (Paul Baier) out of 9 selections (yet two goalies were selected). He never appears in a single NHL game.

2003 draft, not a single defenseman selected in the deepest draft in NHL history. They select two goaltenders though, with one NHL game between them (Ryan Munce and Matt Zaba).

So between 2003 and 2006, Al Murray and his staff couldn't draft a defenseman who could crack the NHL. That is beyond terrible.

Then in 2007, they draft Hickey, who is now playing full time in the NHL with the Isles, and Martinez, who has appeared in 203 regular season games and 59 playoff games.

In 2008,they draft Doughty and Voynov, and at least used Teubert to acquire Dustin Penner who played a pivotal role in the 2012 and 2013 playoffs.

In the past couple of years the Kings have also drafted defensemen who have since graduated to the AHL where they continue to develop their games. It's a significant change from the Dave Taylor/Al Murray era.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
LOL, sounds like Lombardi was already disappointed with Teubert. I remember the issue of size in the pipeline being discussed back then, but all Teubert was doing at dev camp was trying to act tough and always looking for fights in games against the other teams' prospects (and he wasn't that great at it either).

Lesson learned, don't take one dimensional, tough, stay-at-home type dmen in the first round. Their ceiling is VERY limited, and in Teubert's case, very likely to bust. The Rangers are also finding this out with Dylan McIlrath, and the same goes with San Jose when they selected Nick Petrecki.

I wouldn't say he was disappointed with the Teubert pick. I think he was frustrated with how soft the team was, and it was, in many ways, still disjointed. That's just my interpretation though.

I don't think anyone can reasonably be disappointed with an 18 year-old in his first week of development camp.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
You make a point there, though I have to admit, I remember Belanger25 along with myself and a few others being displeased that all Teubert was interested in showcasing was how tough he was at most of these camps. If only he focused on his game and learning how not to take himself out of position fishing for big hits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad