News Article: Kings would have taken Doughty over Stamkos in '08

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
1977097206_d6aad4e18e_b.jpg

Hi guys. Remember me!?

Oh a related note, did you not expect Willsie to make Royal 1/2's 'The 10 Worst Kings of the Last 10 Years'!?
http://theroyalhalf.com/10-worst-kings-decade/

Great read. Completely forgot about that article. Put's **** into perspective in terms of where we came from this past decade.

Last edited:

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
Honestly, what else is he supposed to say? Doesn't mean much, imo.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Decent list, but to me Raitis Ivanans, John Zeiler and Ethan Moreau are missing from that list. Bure is kind of a dumb inclusion, the guy was injured and didn't play.

As for Doughty, I don't see why many on the main board find it so outlandish. Doughty was playing and winning a gold medal in a best on best tournament 20 months after that draft.

Ron*

Adding Weight to the Doughty vs. Stamkos Debate

A ton of GREAT stuff regarding the draft from Mark Yannetti as well.

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

z9z6.gif

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Nobody will ever know for sure, but, the Kings already had Kopitar for 2 seasons before Doughty was picked, and the Kings had nothing like Doughty as a prospect already in the organization.

Everything changed after Doughty was drafted. Visnovsky was dealt in part because Doughty was now there, and they end up with 2 guys that have been with the Kings since that deal. The 2009 trade deadline was the first one where the Kings were buyers when they got Williams, even though they were well out of the playoffs. In the summer of 2009, the Kings get Scuderi and Smyth. Basically within a year of drafting Doughty, the Kings added 5 veteran players, all of them contributing to playoff teams, 4 of them winning the first Cup, and 3 of them winning both.

You can't go wrong with Doughty or Stamkos. The Kings could've used either one. Obviously, because Lombardi ended up trading for Richards to fill that 2nd line center spot a couple years later. We've seen some centers moved over the last few years. Outside of Suter, who specifically went to Minnesota, you don't see too many defensemen like Doughty changing teams. Although, you don't see the Stamkos level of center moving either.

Again, can't/will never know for sure, but you can make a decent argument that Lombardi drafts a right handed defenseman with the potential to control the game #1 overall. Kopitar/Stamkos, or Kopitar/Doughty. Nobody is complaining which ever way you go.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I don't think that interview with Lombardi makes Yanetti's interview untrue. Tikh could've been Lombardi's guy or Futa's guy and VV seems like Yanetti's guy. Anyway that's quite a bit of background on Voynov in Yanetti's interview.

reset

Puck Luck
Oct 5, 2005
South Bay
i cant believe that during the draft, some talking heads were rating bogosian higher than DD. what a laugher.

I have to admit, though, I would have picked stamkos over DD in 2008. But in 2014, it would definitely be the other way around.

Ron*

Finally got a chance to read the article after the site went back up.

Pretty interesting stuff, after you get past the back-patting. I thought the Mayor was writing the article in the third person, until I saw the byline and someone else had written the piece. Still, why is the article even addressing whether the Mayor was right or wrong at the time or what he believed in was true? Some of these blog writers' egos are off the charts...

Anyway, I found it very interesting that Yanetti said their focus is on drafting the best player possible vs. drafting for need. Actually, I thought it was pretty much "best practices" to draft talent above need, and has been so since a rather famous NBA draft in 1984 (see 2. Sam Bowie 3. Michael Jordan). I am glad to hear that "we will not be drafting for need in any draft Mike [Futa] or I run."

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I'm sorry, but that's a little tire pumping.

I very clearly remember the 2008 draft and Stamkos was absolutely the consensus #1. Doughty had an insane 17 year old season in the OHL and a lot of people were predicting a 90+ point season his draft year. But in typical Doughty fashion he yawned his way through his draft year and left little to reason that Stamkos wasn't the #1.

Bogosian, Doughty, Pietrangelo, and Schenn were considered the consensus 2-5 that draft, but no one knew where they'd actually fall.

Pietrangelo was touted as having the highest ceiling of the four but considered somewhat of a project. Bogosian had a ton of hype (and there were MANY on this board who were certain he was the better pick than Drew) because he was a physical specimen and could do a bit of everything. Schenn was considered the bruising shutdown D of the four. Doughty was unanimously labeled "most NHL ready" of the four, many argued the entire draft.

I have no doubt in my mind that Lombardi would have picked Stamkos at #1, or at the very least traded down to #2 for Doughty. No way he takes Doughty at #1.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011

I very clearly remember the 2008 draft and Stamkos was absolutely the consensus #1. Doughty had an insane 17 year old season in the OHL and a lot of people were predicting a 90+ point season his draft year. But in typical Doughty fashion he yawned his way through his draft year and left little to reason that Stamkos wasn't the #1.

Bogosian, Doughty, Pietrangelo, and Schenn were considered the consensus 2-5 that draft, but no one knew where they'd actually fall.

Pietrangelo was touted as having the highest ceiling of the four but considered somewhat of a project. Bogosian had a ton of hype (and there were MANY on this board who were certain he was the better pick than Drew) because he was a physical specimen and could do a bit of everything. Schenn was considered the bruising shutdown D of the four. Doughty was unanimously labeled "most NHL ready" of the four, many argued the entire draft.

I have no doubt in my mind that Lombardi would have picked Stamkos at #1, or at the very least traded down to #2 for Doughty. No way he takes Doughty at #1.

Exactly! And for all of you who claim you would have taken Doughty at #1, you're probably the same posters who knew the Kings were a Stanley Cup contender in 2011.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica

Yep, I'll admit I was one of those that thought it was a toss up between the Kings taking Doughty or Bogosian. I remember there was a pretty big contingent that wanted Schenn as well as he looked better in the WJCs that year and was paired with Doughty. At that point though I don't think anyone knew about DD's extra gear in big games and his ability to step up in those games. That wasn't until the Vancouver olympics.
Anybody remember what the napkin said that Dean had on the wall in his office after they interviewed Doughty? I forget what it was.

The only time I’ve felt we’ve made tangible mistakes that were entirely avoidable were when we drafted for need. Our first couple of years, we were developing our identity – as a team [and] as a staff. We drafted for need on a couple of occasions those first two years, and it was the wrong

Hickey, Teubert? Maybe Schenn?

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Seems to me that the Kings also heavily weighed how well the prospect fits into the Kings' style. The first three picks of the '14 draft all have size and play the potential to play a heavy game.

T2M

Jan 28, 2004
Hickey, Teubert? Maybe Schenn?

Definitely Hickey and Teubert, but not Schenn. Schenn went exactly where he was supposed to and has shown the capability of being an NHL player. He would have done fine if he could have gone through our development system now (which, ironically, would never have been able to be set up like it is without trading him for Richards which solidified the center position in the forward corps. This gives the Kings the luxury of having the talent at the NHL level to say to a top 5 pick at center "You're not ready to take a spot at the NHL, get back to work in the minors.") The reason Schenn doesn't look like he lived up to potential is early injuries, the fact that he finished the WJCs in Buffalo with one arm speaks to the kind of character the Kings expect from their prospects and a willingness to put everything on the line in big games. If we didn't have Richards and the center depth we've acquired in the last 3 years I think we'd be happy with Schenn, but then again, we'd be wringing our hands with fear that we may never win a cup before Kopitar's contract expires. That Richards trade was huge, but Schenn was the right pick at that point and without some huge injuries, he would be doing much better right now.

Hickey and Teubert were the wrong picks and were picked for defensive depth and a perceived need for toughness in Teubert's case. No way they'd make those picks again.

T2M

Jan 28, 2004
That Hickey pick still gives me nightmares....:help:

It gives all of us nightmares, but then again, Hickey is another player derailed by injuries early on and then he became victim of a numbers game in LA (which shows you just how fast and proactively DL rebuilt this franchise). It's amazing what infrastructure and insulation at the NHL level can do for the franchise and player development. If Hickey were a 19 yo coming into the Kings organization now (by which I mean Manchester, which is when you're really in the organization's intense development stream) we'd have every reason to be excited. But yes, he was a bad pick at that time.

Also, some people wanted Luke Schenn because he was Hickey's defense partner at the 2008 WJC and they were amazing together. 2009 was vastly different.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I don't sweat the Hickey pick or any other mistakes in the draft. There were so many things that had to fall exactly in the right place for us to get Carter and roar into the playoffs in 2012 to win that first, everso important Cup.

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
if you go back to the threads from the time there was considerable debate on these boards over if DL was planning on taking DD first because he already had AK and was looking for his stud dman then it would have completed what he thought was the way to build the team he had a #1 center, a #1 goalie (bernier) and a #1 dman in drew.....He was hoping that hickey was going to be the guy but when we got the number 2 pick he was set for team building, quick quit college to get a shot at being number 1 and never looked back

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
I don't sweat the Hickey pick or any other mistakes in the draft. There were so many things that had to fall exactly in the right place for us to get Carter and roar into the playoffs in 2012 to win that first, everso important Cup.

Hind site is 20/20. The difference is that many if us thought that the Hickey pick was a mistake from day 1. He could/should have proven us wrong. But, luckily other late round picks ended up easing the pain of this one bad pick. Hopefully we never have to worry about another top 5 pick being wasted in our lifetime. Hehe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad