News Article: Kings would have taken Doughty over Stamkos in '08

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I would never take Doughty #1 unless I had to...I'd pretend I was dealing the pick, let every GM know it, then only take the Tampa #2 pick deal. That way I get Doughty anyway and some more assets.

Aela*

i cant believe that during the draft, some talking heads were rating bogosian higher than DD. what a laugher.

I have to admit, though, I would have picked stamkos over DD in 2008. But in 2014, it would definitely be the other way around.

Bogosian was a very good prospect at the time. He was a great physical specimen, with great skating, good upside, a good shot, decent IQ, and had all the tools, if he could put it together he would have been a great pick. No one knew that he wouldn't progress like that and would in fact regress a fair bit.

Obviously I'm still very happy with DD, but you can't pretend at the time that it wouldn't have been viable that Lombardi would have taken Bogosian instead.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Hind site is 20/20. The difference is that many if us thought that the Hickey pick was a mistake from day 1. He could/should have proven us wrong. But, luckily other late round picks ended up easing the pain of this one bad pick. Hopefully we never have to worry about another top 5 pick being wasted in our lifetime. Hehe

If we got Voracek instead, I don't believe we win the Cup. He's no Carter. (I say Voracek because I strongly believe he was the forward Dean was considering along with Hickey.)

Not only do we go out and acquire the feared and ultimately awesome Carter, we got rid of Johnson. Keep in mind Columbus drafts Voracek then eventually deals him to Philly for Carter...I mean, you can't make this stuff up.

Primakov!

Dec 9, 2003
Yesteryear
Hickey and Teubert were the wrong picks and were picked for defensive depth and a perceived need for toughness in Teubert's case. No way they'd make those picks again.

Perhaps add to it the Joey Ryan example as well?

Apparently during the last Al Murray 2006 draft they were set to take Milan Lucic, but they called an audible to go with Joey Ryan instead since they were thin on defense.

Primakov!

Dec 9, 2003
Yesteryear
Bogosian was a very good prospect at the time. He was a great physical specimen, with great skating, good upside, a good shot, decent IQ, and had all the tools, if he could put it together he would have been a great pick. No one knew that he wouldn't progress like that and would in fact regress a fair bit.

Obviously I'm still very happy with DD, but you can't pretend at the time that it wouldn't have been viable that Lombardi would have taken Bogosian instead.

In all the interviews in previous years and leading up to the draft, Lombardi kept preaching over and over about hockey sense over physical tools (not specifically in regards to that class of defensemen, but overall) so I thought for sure he'd go for either Drew Doughty or Alex Pietrangelo.

At the time I personally thought he was going to go with Pietrangelo since he had the added bonus of size as well when just about all other aspects seemed just about equal between them.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
The only people who were legitimately arguing Doughty over Stamkos in 2008 were the same that repeated the argument in 2009, saying Hedman should go #1 over Tavares. They're usually the same minority that trumpets the agenda about #1 D being more important than #1 C, etc. etc.

And on the contrary to what some are attempting to claim on this forum, everyone wanted Stamkos. Everyone. Every Kings' fan on the planet flipped their wig at winning that last game of the season and losing the #1 pick. Everyone thought Hickey was the #1 PMD of the future. In fact, that was the primary argument people made in suggesting we draft Schenn/Bogosian over (what we thought to be) a pure PMD in Doughty.

I forget what year, but Hickey had some kind of insane junior year post-draft in which he was a +30 or something on a team that was collectively a minus. I remember everyone quoting that stat a lot.

We all had a ton of faith in Hickey circa 2008. The prospect of running Kopitar/Stamkos down the middle was highly attractive.

Obviously, hindsight is 20/20 and I personally feel Stamkos is one of the most one dimensional, overrated players in the entire league. Choosing Doughty over Stamkos NOW is clearly a no brainer for us, considering Hickey never worked out and how important Doughty is to this franchise.

I've said it before, but out of all the stars we have on this team, the only two I see eventually making it to the Hall of Fame are Doughty and Kopitar.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
So, if we had Pietrangelo and Weber but didn't have Kopi or Carter, you'd still select Doughty over Stamkos?

Pietrangelo was drafted the same year Doughty was so I'm not sure what you're saying. If we had Weber I'd still draft Doughty as it would give the Kings the best defense in the league. Weber, Doughty, and Voynov down the right side.

The scenario I was stating that given today's knowledge and 2008's scenario, I would draft Drew Doughty #1 overall. I also would have drafted Drew Doughty #1 overall in 2008. I'd always take a franchise defenseman over a franchise center - especially when you have Anze Kopitar. Like I said, I put a higher priority on defense.

But hey, that's why I don't get paid the big bucks to be a hockey scout or GM and stick to arguing on a hockey forum.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Pietrangelo was drafted the same year Doughty was so I'm not sure what you're saying. If we had Weber I'd still draft Doughty as it would give the Kings the best defense in the league. Weber, Doughty, and Voynov down the right side.

The scenario I was stating that given today's knowledge and 2008's scenario, I would draft Drew Doughty #1 overall. I also would have drafted Drew Doughty #1 overall in 2008. I'd always take a franchise defenseman over a franchise center - especially when you have Anze Kopitar. Like I said, I put a higher priority on defense.

It was merely a hypothetical.

However, the bolded kind of proves my point. It really depends what our needs were/are.

Aela*

In all the interviews in previous years and leading up to the draft, Lombardi kept preaching over and over about hockey sense over physical tools (not specifically in regards to that class of defensemen, but overall) so I thought for sure he'd go for either Drew Doughty or Alex Pietrangelo.

At the time I personally thought he was going to go with Pietrangelo since he had the added bonus of size as well when just about all other aspects seemed just about equal between them.

That's true, and i've always trusted in his instincts, I just think saying it's laughable that people thought Bogosian would be as good or better than Doughty in that year is a sort of um...a dumb thing to say, lol.

Primakov!

Dec 9, 2003
Yesteryear
That's true, and i've always trusted in his instincts, I just think saying it's laughable that people thought Bogosian would be as good or better than Doughty in that year is a sort of um...a dumb thing to say, lol.

Wasn't the comparison being passed around at the time, among fans and NHL pundits alike, Raymond Bourque (Drew Doughty) versus Rob Blake (Zach Bogosian) or something like that?

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Everyone thought Hickey was the #1 PMD of the future. In fact, that was the primary argument people made in suggesting we draft Schenn/Bogosian over (what we thought to be) a pure PMD in Doughty.

I'm not sure about others but I never saw Hickey more than a 2nd pairing guy even the day he was drafted was like well, he'll probably never be a top guy and then it just became worse over time. The Hickey pick was a clear example of not taking the best player available. He was an off the board pick at 4 and DL really liked him but not at 4. The Kings tried to trade down but couldn't find a deal higher than 8th and rumor was Boston wanted Hickey there.

I forget what year, but Hickey had some kind of insane junior year post-draft in which he was a +30 or something on a team that was collectively a minus. I remember everyone quoting that stat a lot.

It was his last year in Seattle as a 19 year old, 2009.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0010062009.html

Still impressive on a .500 team with no real stars on it.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I was hearing Raymond Bourque and Scott Stevens comparisons.

Bogosian was compared to Chelios.

I was one who was more excited about Bogosian than Doughty.

It's a weird statement by Yanetti. At the time, Lombardi challenged Doughty to lose weight before the draft to prove his commitment, and how up in the air it was.

If it was uncertain between Doughty and Bogosian, then apparently they felt Bogosian belonged in the same tier? Seems interesting nonetheless.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Wasn't the comparison being passed around at the time, among fans and NHL pundits alike, Raymond Bourque (Drew Doughty) versus Rob Blake (Zach Bogosian) or something like that?

This... (3:15 and 4:12)

And this...

To follow up, Murray was asked which players he would put in that category he described…

MURRAY: “Ray Bourque was in the league, as an 18-year-old, and was a force with the Boston Bruins right from that first year. I watched him throughout his career. I watched Paul Coffey throughout his career. I had Paul Coffey as a player in Philadelphia. I could go back, as a young player myself, and remember Bobby Orr coming into the league. Nobody will ever be as great as him, but he’s a young guy who came into the league at a young age and dominated the league.

“So there have been those kinds of players. I had Scott Stevens as an 18-year-old in Washington, who came in and had an impact on your game immediately. Those are pretty special players that are being referenced there. Drew is in that category. He means that much to the L.A. Kings.”

Another link from 2008 discussing what the Kings should do with their 1st round pick(s) that year.

Funny to see guys hoping for Filatov at #2.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=502489&page=24

ANyone have any idea who DL was offered for the #2 overall?

After the first pick, it gets interesting. First, there is still some intrigue about which defenceman the Los Angeles Kings would select second overall - Drew Doughty of the OHL's Guelph Storm or Zach Bogosian of the OHL's Peterborough Petes.

"I'd say we're fairly close," Kings GM Dean Lombardi said when asked which prospect they had settled on. "But part of it is that we're still looking at all the deals."

And that's the wild card. They might move the pick.

The "deals," as Lombardi put it, are two-fold.

"On the first front, I figured I had two legitimate offers for the pick outright that I presented to ownership last week," said Lombardi. "But it was very clear the direction they want to go, which is more committed towards putting together a solid nucleus."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad