Confirmed with Link: Kings trade Nate Thompson and ARI 5th round pick to MTL for CGY 4th round pick in 2019

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
He'll be 35, I concur it's not going to be easy for him to land a job. I think we have to look at it this way. Kubalik wasn't coming over, and Thompson wasn't coming back. Neither may play in the league next year. We got a 4th in return. I'll take it.

My worry with Kubalik trade is that it was the Hawks who got him, they have been amazing at evaluating skilled players for quite some time. Kind of like the Kings are with goalies.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
My worry with Kubalik trade is that it was the Hawks who got him, they have been amazing at evaluating skilled players for quite some time. Kind of like the Kings are with goalies.

I like Kubalik, and I think the Kings do too. But he wasn't going to come over, at least for us, that was made clear. What ya gonna do? He does have an NHL release.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Good luck to Nate Thompson, I hope he has a nice run with a Montreal squad which looks like it’s headed to the playoffs as a surprise team. You got to wonder if Marc Bergevin saw Thompson score last game against Boston, who the Habs are chasing, and decided to do the deal.

Solid asset management by GMRB, he improved draft depth and preserved ice time for players more important to the rebuild.

My only concern is with Thompson gone, I no longer have a pick for this seasons Brian Willsie award. Which is given to the journeyman player who scores a goal in a meaningless game to get a win and knock the Kings out of the top draft spot. With the teams improving play, there may not be a Willsie given out this season.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
My only concern is with Thompson gone, I no longer have a pick for this seasons Brian Willsie award. Which is given to the journeyman player who scores a goal in a meaningless game to get a win and knock the Kings out of the top draft spot. With the teams improving play, there may not be a Willsie given out this season.

It'll probably be Wagner or something, who will in all likelihood be a future journeyman in the NHL.

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005

Hey, Willsie did us a solid. Two Cups. It all worked out in the end.

Stamkos would be a 20-goal scorer on this team anyway.

kingsholygrail

Insurmountable Leads 1-3
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
6WjLuG4.gif

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Kings needed to:
- make room for a young player
- unload a vet when Lewis comes back

As a bonus, a 4th rounder is better than a 5th round pick+. Quality > Quantity.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
I know Thompson is an older guy and probably doesnt give a shit ( he's got a trade somewhere to play meaningful games), but I wonder if other players would give him assholes about being worth stuff all. If it was a younger kid it could really burst their bubble. You could just imagine Doughty or another yapper winding him up on the ice.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kings needed to:
- make room for a young player
- unload a vet when Lewis comes back

As a bonus, a 4th rounder is better than a 5th round pick+. Quality > Quantity.

I can maybe see the timing being forced so it is what it is, but I disagree with the last part. 10 slots in the late middle of the draft is worth less than two picks at that point.

I know we're ultimately splitting hairs on philosophy here but when they're all lottery picks more is better as you can pack them to move up if needed rather than move up before you need to because you're 'forced.' it's less chips to play.

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I agree in general but even they miss.

Quick example, David Rundblad.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
No one will know if it is was worth moving up in the draft until the team sees who's available when they go to the table. Even then, WE won't know unless the Kings publicize it.

Reactions: LAKings88

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I can maybe see the timing being forced so it is what it is, but I disagree with the last part. 10 slots in the late middle of the draft is worth less than two picks at that point.

I know we're ultimately splitting hairs on philosophy here but when they're all lottery picks more is better as you can pack them to move up if needed rather than move up before you need to because you're 'forced.' it's less chips to play.

I guess it's just an issue of agreeing to disagree.

A 5th round pick was used to move up 6 spots last year.

I would rather have two 4ths than a 4th, a 5th, and a 5th/6th/7th. The quality of players available is considerably better.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Nate Thompson is a 35 years old UFA with a NTC who has scored 6 points and has a -4.68 CF% Rel, which is only better than Daniel Brickley and JAD for players that have had any ice time this season. Thompson was a great vet, but he was not a prized commodity and getting any value from him is a win. Also, this could be a favor done by Blakey, putting Nate in a position where he could potentially play meaningful minutes in the playoffs. Lastly, The Kings needed to make room for young players to get ice time, but didn't want to embarrass the veterans and this helped in that regard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad