Confirmed with Link: Kings trade Nate Thompson and ARI 5th round pick to MTL for CGY 4th round pick in 2019

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Nate Thompson is a 35 years old UFA with a NTC who has scored 6 points and has a -4.68 CF% Rel, which is only better than Daniel Brickley and JAD for players that have had any ice time this season. Thompson was a great vet, but he was not a prized commodity and getting any value from him is a win. Also, this could be a favor done by Blakey, putting Nate in a position where he could potentially play meaningful minutes in the playoffs. Lastly, The Kings needed to make room for young players to get ice time, but didn't want to embarrass the veterans and this helped in that regard.

Fun Fact Ryan Kesler has scored 6 points for the Ducks, this year, though they are on the hook for another 3 years at 6.8 million per for their 6 point guy.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Maybe they can play this in honor of Nate Thompson’s monumental contributions to the organization whenever he makes his return to Staples Center.

Albi

Nov 24, 2004
Claro - Switzerland
He'll be 35, I concur it's not going to be easy for him to land a job. I think we have to look at it this way. Kubalik wasn't coming over, and Thompson wasn't coming back. Neither may play in the league next year. We got a 4th in return. I'll take it.
Kubalik will play for the Hawks next season.
Dude can play and can score, soon Blake will realize he made a huge mistake.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I was wrong, I didn't think he had any value. His actual value was trading up about 15 spots in the later stages of the draft. I'll take it.

I hope that his biggest fan on this forum didn't order a Thompson jersey.

He wasn't even bad for us.

Won most of his face-offs, and was good defensively.

Ended up playing 79 career games for us and racked up 12 points for us. Exactly what you want from a 4th liner.

Best of luck Nate.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
We can all speculate about trades after they are made - I would have kept the 5th rounder and just had Bergevin deal their 5th...or I would not have taken Grundstrom and Durzi and demanded Sandin. We will never know what names were discussed and which GM made / accepted what the deal ended up being.

Getting anything for Thompson is great and opening a spot for a young player...as well as getting rid of the last (whatever it is) $400,000 owed him this year. Even moving up 10 spots can make a difference in getting a player you are targeting....there have been many a time the Kings have made a deal to move up 10 spots. As Kings Pawn says there are good players in round 4 still and the Kings have got Wagner, Markus Phillips and Mikey Anderson there. Can also package the pick and move up as well.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
We can all speculate about trades after they are made - I would have kept the 5th rounder and just had Bergevin deal their 5th...or I would not have taken Grundstrom and Durzi and demanded Sandin. We will never know what names were discussed and which GM made / accepted what the deal ended up being.

Getting anything for Thompson is great and opening a spot for a young player...as well as getting rid of the last (whatever it is) $400,000 owed him this year. Even moving up 10 spots can make a difference in getting a player you are targeting....there have been many a time the Kings have made a deal to move up 10 spots. As Kings Pawn says there are good players in round 4 still and the Kings have got Wagner, Markus Phillips and Mikey Anderson there. Can also package the pick and move up as well.
Futa said Sandin was asked for Leafs declined.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015

That's good and the should have asked for Sandin and for Kapanen as well and bet they did. I think Blake did fine, getting the #1, Grundstrom and Durzi. People can say Grundstrom tops out as 3rd liner, but would not be surprised if he becomes a 2nd line winger. If not, so be it. He seems like a prospect that has tools and plays heavy with a scoring touch. He seems to have done very well in Frolunda and the Marlies and has played well in Ontario on a pretty subpar team. I think Durzi is pretty driven and has the ability to make it, but only time will tell....Muzzin does turn 30 next week and it's not like he's 27 and entering his prime. It was good that he has one more year on a very favorable 4 million, or the Kings would not have gotten what they did.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015

That's good and the should have asked for Sandin and for Kapanen as well and bet they did. I think Blake did fine, getting the #1, Grundstrom and Durzi. People can say Grundstrom tops out as 3rd liner, but would not be surprised if he becomes a 2nd line winger. If not, so be it. He seems like a prospect that has tools and plays heavy with a scoring touch. He seems to have done very well in Frolunda and the Marlies and has played well in Ontario on a pretty subpar team. I think Durzi is pretty driven and has the ability to make it, but only time will tell....Muzzin does turn 30 next week and it's not like he's 27 and entering his prime. It was good that he has one more year on a very favorable 4 million, or the Kings would not have gotten what they did.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Boyle going for a 2nd
Thompson going for a few ranks up a draft

that's an incredible gap between two players

(or, **** Blake)

Brian Boyle has scored 13 goals so far, which is exactly how many he's scored over the past four consecutive seasons. Nate Thompson has 6 points.

Were you expecting a 2nd for Nate Thompson? :laugh:

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Brian Boyle has scored 13 goals so far, which is exactly how many he's scored over the past four consecutive seasons. Nate Thompson has 6 points.

Were you expecting a 2nd for Nate Thompson? :laugh:

what happened to you? why did you decide to completely go black or white with me

where did i say Thompson would fetch a 2nd? please answer so that we can get somewhere, or don't bother (because i know that you know you're doing this on purpose at this point)

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
what happened to you? why did you decide to completely go black or white with me

where did i say Thompson would fetch a 2nd? please answer so that we can get somewhere, or don't bother (because i know that you know you're doing this on purpose at this point)

Who brought up the Brian Boyle trade and compared it to this one?

I just can't wrap my head around some of the illogical overreaction.

Nate Thompson went from being worthless garbage to being someone who has some value all of a sudden now that he's gone.

Reactions: Schmooley

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Who brought up the Brian Boyle trade and compared it to this one?

I just can't wrap my head around some of the illogical overreaction.

Nate Thompson went from being worthless garbage to being someone who has some value all of a sudden now that he's gone.

it's completely fair to compare 3rd/4th line players with each other

We can get at least a draft pick for a player that WILL have some interest (this isn't speculative anymore like the Muzzin deal, the trade deadline does involve UFA veteran 4th liners being dealt away)

what we got instead, was moving up a draft pick by 10 spots?

Do you like this one then?
FEBRUARY 6: Nashville Predators acquire forward Cody McLeod from New York Rangers for 2020 seventh-round pick.

is it better for you now?!?

you get the comparison, but you're taking such an easy way out, i thought maybe after years of discussions, you'd probably at least attempt at digging a little deeper into the meaning of my comment, i won't regurgitate it for you all the time

maybe you're studying law now or something, no clue why you're this anal

so here's a fair comparison

CODY MCLEOD, same age, same size, undrafted, doesn't play as much as Thompson, very little playoff experience

he went for a 7th!

is it insane to assume that Thompson could be had for a 5th/6th???

seriously man, you'll go and find some little minor detail about McLeod to justify he's worth more than Thompson lol

get off Blake's dick

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I am laughing here over the distraught the Nate Thompson trade has caused. Thanks for the laughs. Such a missed opportunity to acquire a 7th round pick. Sorry to see the trade ruined your day. My sympathies go out to you.

Reactions: ScoreZeGoals

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
fail to see the bigger picture, it's all good

i'll be joining you for a few chuckles once we've all jumped on the Fire Blake wagon

as usual, you'll be in the driver's seat

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Yeah, I'm joining the irrational bandwagon of firing Rob Blake over this Nate Thompson trade. I see the big picture now. He should've acquired a 7th round pick for a player you wanted to rid of for nothing.

Is being an overreactive drama queen over a nothing trade part of the requirement to join this bandwagon?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Yeah, I'm joining the irrational bandwagon of firing Rob Blake over this Nate Thompson trade. I see the big picture now. He should've acquired a 7th round pick for a player you wanted to rid of for nothing.

Is being an overreactive drama queen over a nothing trade part of the requirement to join this bandwagon?

And you thought it was just me

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
if a GM fails to get maximum value over any of his players, that's a weakness

then you pile up his trades this year and it's a pattern

but if you need a BIG SIGN with arrows pointing at it with red sirens surround it until you "get it", then sure fine we have other players waiting to be dealt

but trading isn't his strong suit, i'm sure he has other qualities

i guess some of you hated Dean Lombardi so much that anyone that deconstructs his moves, regardless at what price, you'll helm him as a hero, for everything else he does, i get that (please read carefully before you reply LOL Thompson wasn't even a Lombardi signing)

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
if a GM fails to get maximum value over any of his players, that's a weakness

then you pile up his trades this year and it's a pattern

but if you need a BIG SIGN with arrows pointing at it with red sirens surround it until you "get it", then sure fine we have other players waiting to be dealt

but trading isn't his strong suit, i'm sure he has other qualities

i guess some of you hated Dean Lombardi so much that anyone that deconstructs his moves, regardless at what price, you'll helm him as a hero, for everything else he does, i get that (please read carefully before you reply LOL Thompson wasn't even a Lombardi signing)

You think he failed to get maximum value from Muzzin??

You might be the only one in the hockey universe that thinks that....

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
being the only one in a mass of blind followers is not a bad thing at all

enough with you GoldenBoy

Neither is knowing what you are talking about which you are clearly establishing that you don't.

How do you know Blake didn't get maximum value for Muzzin? Because obviously you think he didn't, what tells you that.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Neither is knowing what you are talking about which you are clearly establishing that you don't.

How do you know Blake didn't get maximum value for Muzzin? Because obviously you think he didn't, what tells you that.

1) From Ryan Lambert's perspective (oh look i'm suddenly not alone in this world!)

"Case in point: The trade that brought Jake Muzzin to Toronto earlier this week for little more than three lottery tickets that probably won’t amount to much. “A first-round pick” is a nice thing to be able to talk about, but one that’s in the mid-20s doesn’t have as much value as you might think; it’s about twice as likely to produce a productive NHLer as one in the mid 60s, compared with a similar drop-off from, say, the fifth pick to the 25th.
The other two assets were frankly B-level prospects — one a forward and the other a defender — that very definitively were not Andreas Johnsson, Timothy Liljegren, or Kasperi Kapenen".

Muzzin trade shows the problem for this year’s sellers

This is where I pause for you to dig up some shit on how incredible Yahoo is or Ryan Lambert

please feel free to fill in this space: __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2) Even Blake's Brain thinks he didn't get fair value for Muzzin
As per McKenzie: McKenzie said that Los Angeles would like (i'm sure that's code for Blake) a first-round pick and a high-end prospect or young player.

So Blake went from HIGH END PROSPECT to 2 low to mid level prospects - he derailed very quickly from his ask

Again, some GMs won't budge, some will wiggle a little, some panic and cave - but as long as he has followers stating "well at least he did something!" then he's good

but once a few of you start jumping off Blake's dick, we'll revisit these posts and have a few laughs

NOW i'm done with you GoldenBoy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad