Confirmed with Link: Kings trade Nate Thompson and ARI 5th round pick to MTL for CGY 4th round pick in 2019

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
1) From Ryan Lambert's perspective (oh look i'm suddenly not alone in this world!)

"Case in point: The trade that brought Jake Muzzin to Toronto earlier this week for little more than three lottery tickets that probably won’t amount to much. “A first-round pick” is a nice thing to be able to talk about, but one that’s in the mid-20s doesn’t have as much value as you might think; it’s about twice as likely to produce a productive NHLer as one in the mid 60s, compared with a similar drop-off from, say, the fifth pick to the 25th.
The other two assets were frankly B-level prospects — one a forward and the other a defender — that very definitively were not Andreas Johnsson, Timothy Liljegren, or Kasperi Kapenen".

Muzzin trade shows the problem for this year’s sellers

This is where I pause for you to dig up some **** on how incredible Yahoo is or Ryan Lambert

please feel free to fill in this space: __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2) Even Blake's Brain thinks he didn't get fair value for Muzzin
As per McKenzie: McKenzie said that Los Angeles would like (i'm sure that's code for Blake) a first-round pick and a high-end prospect or young player.

So Blake went from HIGH END PROSPECT to 2 low to mid level prospects - he derailed very quickly from his ask

Again, some GMs won't budge, some will wiggle a little, some panic and cave - but as long as he has followers stating "well at least he did something!" then he's good

but once a few of you start jumping off Blake's dick, we'll revisit these posts and have a few laughs

NOW i'm done with you GoldenBoy

First of all, you don't need to be a genius to know that Lambert, hates the Kings....do some research on your damn sources....

Second of all, the Kings got a first round pick, and a high end prospect, if you don't think Grunstrom is a high end prospect, can't help you there, you probably think Blake was a 5th Dman during his career....

Your irrational is completely mind blowing...

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
First of all, you don't need to be a genius to know that Lambert, hates the Kings....do some research on your damn sources....

Second of all, the Kings got a first round pick, and a high end prospect, if you don't think Grunstrom is a high end prospect, can't help you there, you probably think Blake was a 5th Dman during his career....

Your irrational is completely mind blowing...

great, i argued my point you argued yours, now move on

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
1) From Ryan Lambert's perspective (oh look i'm suddenly not alone in this world!)

"Case in point: The trade that brought Jake Muzzin to Toronto earlier this week for little more than three lottery tickets that probably won’t amount to much. “A first-round pick” is a nice thing to be able to talk about, but one that’s in the mid-20s doesn’t have as much value as you might think; it’s about twice as likely to produce a productive NHLer as one in the mid 60s, compared with a similar drop-off from, say, the fifth pick to the 25th.
The other two assets were frankly B-level prospects — one a forward and the other a defender — that very definitively were not Andreas Johnsson, Timothy Liljegren, or Kasperi Kapenen".

Muzzin trade shows the problem for this year’s sellers

This is where I pause for you to dig up some **** on how incredible Yahoo is or Ryan Lambert

please feel free to fill in this space: __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2) Even Blake's Brain thinks he didn't get fair value for Muzzin
As per McKenzie: McKenzie said that Los Angeles would like (i'm sure that's code for Blake) a first-round pick and a high-end prospect or young player.

So Blake went from HIGH END PROSPECT to 2 low to mid level prospects - he derailed very quickly from his ask

Again, some GMs won't budge, some will wiggle a little, some panic and cave - but as long as he has followers stating "well at least he did something!" then he's good

but once a few of you start jumping off Blake's dick, we'll revisit these posts and have a few laughs

NOW i'm done with you GoldenBoy

Come on dude. Grundstrom and Durzi are not mid to low level prospects. Grundstrom was generally regarded as a top 3 prospect for the Leafs, sliding in just behind Lil and Sandin. Durzi is a wildcard who was a second round pick just the year before who the Kings had heavily scouted. That was a good trade, despite what Lambert has to say. There is a lot you can criticize Blake for, but him making this move should not be one, you are acting like he gave Muzzin away.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Come on dude. Grundstrom and Durzi are not mid to low level prospects. Grundstrom was generally regarded as a top 3 prospect for the Leafs, sliding in just behind Lil and Sandin. Durzi is a wildcard who was a second round pick just the year before who the Kings had heavily scouted. That was a good trade, despite what Lambert has to say. There is a lot you can criticize Blake for, but him making this move should not be one, you are acting like he gave Muzzin away.

no, but if i'm trading my 2nd best d-man (that, at times, is outplaying Doughty this season), i want something more solid than 100% PURE POTENTIAL

give me a player that has played a few games in the NHL so that i can replace, at least, parts of the word potential with something more tangible

it's very rare that you see trades involving a star player where the return is 3 shots at potential, do you disagree with this statement also?

Last edited:

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
no, but if i'm trading my 2nd best d-man (that, at times, is outplaying Doughty this season), i want something more solid than 100% PURE POTENTIAL

give me a player that has a played a few games in the NHL so that i can replace, at least parts, of the word potential with something more tangible

it's very rare that you see trades involving a star player where the return is 3 shots at potential, do you disagree with this statement also?

WOW.....I get what you are saying....but WOW.....its like you are completely living in denial with where this team is at....getting a Connor Brown etc, would do nothing for this team.....

And yea, I disagree that it's rare a star player gets traded for potential..... Erik Karlsson, Phil Kessel, Nieuwendyk etc, the league is LITTERED with those trades.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

give me a player that has played a few games in the NHL so that i can replace, at least parts, of the word potential with something more tangible

Sorry, don't mean to butt in, but Dean's first trade was:

Demitra to Minnesota for O'Sullivan and the #17 overall in the draft (Trevor Lewis)

Neither O'Sullivan or Lewis were sure things.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Good luck to Nate. Hopefully he does well. I don’t think anyone here disliked Nate, we just disliked his usage (over guys like Kovalchuk on the powerplay... woof). Hopefully we draft another Wagner or Luff with that pick.

Reactions: funky

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
This is how I imagine my wife's posts looking if she posted on an internet message board. No offense, I love my wife.

funny, this looks exactly like how my wife posts after getting an enema. No offense, my wife doesn't usually spew this much self indulgent garbage...only when she gets an enema

edit: btw you lied, you promised that you blocked me... there's a part of you that enjoys it i know, the truth does taste good in a belly full of lies... you can PM me Squirts

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Sorry, don't mean to butt in, but Dean's first trade was:

Demitra to Minnesota for O'Sullivan and the #17 overall in the draft (Trevor Lewis)

Neither O'Sullivan or Lewis were sure things.

that's fine

never defended Dean Lombardi either

so i agree good point

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It's a misconception that GMs should "maximize" trade value over every single trade.

1) value is subjective. Is value strictly defined by what a team trades back? What about clearing out a roster spot? Getting rid of a bad player? Not saying all of these apply to Thompson, but to argue squabbling over a higher pick.

2) if you nickel and dime every team you negotiate with, they may be less likely to want to trade with you in the future. The goal should be to make a trade both parties are happy with.

I'm not saying Blake should just give everyone away, but this expectation of Blake trying to die on every hill for maximum trade value, but people are overreacting for what will likely be a nothing trade.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
No joke, this trade also happened when it did so the roster space was opened up. Sure, he could maybe fetch a 7th in 2020 but nobody that he would waive his NTC for was apparently offering it yesterday so he got what he got.

I mean, I feel like this was a guy the Kings had to take back in the Phaneuf deal just to make it work. It's f***ing Nate Thompson.

I dislike Blake but we are talking about Nate Thompson.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
No joke, this trade also happened when it did so the roster space was opened up. Sure, he could maybe fetch a 7th in 2020 but nobody that he would waive his NTC for was apparently offering it yesterday so he got what he got.

I mean, I feel like this was a guy the Kings had to take back in the Phaneuf deal just to make it work. It's ****ing Nate Thompson.

Yea but Boyle got a 2nd, Mazanec got a 7th...and the guy over there got pucks

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
It's ****ing Nate Thompson.

This!

Some people here are completely out of their minds on this one.

You want to know how this played out. Blake probably told Thompson to submit the teams on the NTC, he then reached out to the remaining teams and probably got 1-2 teams who showed any interest at all. Someone else might have offered a conditional 6th or 7th (like when the Kings got Modin in 2010 for a conditional pick if the Kings had won the cup) and the Habs made their offer and Blake took that one. Hell for all we know Blake was able to negotiate an unconditional pick from the Habs when their original offer was conditional.

Some of you seem to be of the impression that Blake turned down better offers, which is ludicrous. Again this is Nate Thompson. He’s likely to be in Europe or retired next season.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
This!

Some people here are completely out of their minds on this one.

You want to know how this played out. Blake probably told Thompson to submit the teams on the NTC, he then reached out to the remaining teams and probably got 1-2 teams who showed any interest at all. Someone else might have offered a conditional 6th or 7th (like when the Kings got Modin in 2010 for a conditional pick if the Kings had won the cup) and the Habs made their offer and Blake took that one. Hell for all we know Blake was able to negotiate an unconditional pick from the Habs when their original offer was conditional.

Some of you seem to be of the impression that Blake turned down better offers, which is ludicrous. Again this is Nate Thompson. He’s likely to be in Europe or retired next season.

I disagree with your last point. I think he’s still a serviceable bottom six player. But I agree with the rest - let’s not pretend like we were getting anything of value for him. Like I mentioned earlier, Blake may have made this move at Thompson’s request more than anything. “I’d love to have a chance with a contender and I don’t have many years left. If you can get something for me, do it.”

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
If the Kings keep dealing vet's I would like to see Nate come back on a one year deal next year. He was very well liked in the room. This is the type of player the Kings had in 2012 and 2014. We have let too many of these type of guys go.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
I still don't understand how Thomspon is the end all be all tell-tale sign of how to handle or mishandle assets...

I thought we'd go this route once we offload Carl Hagelin in relation to Tanner Pearson, not Nate f***ing Thompson.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I doubt Thompson gets an Nhl contract next season, barring some miracle run by the Habs. Dude is absolutely KHL bound to extend his career. The only reason he was even on the Kings is because Ottawa are cheapskates and put him in the deal since they were retaining some Phaneuf salary.

3firstnames

Dabbler. Dilettante.
Apr 18, 2018
Long Beach

I mean, I feel like this was a guy the Kings had to take back in the Phaneuf deal just to make it work. It's ****ing Nate Thompson.

This thread needs to die with this comment

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
I still don't understand how Thomspon is the end all be all tell-tale sign of how to handle or mishandle assets...

I thought we'd go this route once we offload Carl Hagelin in relation to Tanner Pearson, not Nate ****ing Thompson.

some started to panic when the first iceberg started to melt
some would reply, it's just a freaking iceberg, look what you're standing on...ICE!!! gimme a break!

This is just a story

Reality is, if Blake can't even handle depth transactions, how the f*** am i going to trust him with Carter Toffoli Kovalchuk?

Now remove the tags 4th/5th pick and Thompson for a second, just analyze the transaction

he gave $2 dollars and received 25 cents instead - notice i'm purposely using unimpressive figures to illustrate a point... yes it's freakin' Nate Thompson

...but then Mezanec lands a 7th lol

in actuality i don't understand how some people discard a GM's minor transaction simply because it's minor!

it's in the details, it's very easy to dangle Doughty and collect a haul, i think most GMs can find success in that
it's much harder to dangle dead weight and turn it into anything meaningful
Rob Blake does not have that quality, that's all i'm saying

No one's exploding, or freaking out... it's mostly because of the way some posters like to just shit on opinions that differ which causes the said explosion

hope you understand

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
If folks are complaining about this Nate Thompson deal, I can wait to see what happens when Hagelin gets dealt.

well i think with the way he pulled the trigger on Pearson Muzzin Thompson, it would be surprising if he can turn Hagelin into anything greater than a 7th rd pick

meaning, it wouldn't be a surprise... so reactions will remain constant

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Vancouver "overpaid" with a 7th, considering all their goalies were injured and they had to bring in their OHL goalie as an emergency call-up. They literally had nobody healthy enough under contract for a game.

It was a fair trade. Just because it wasn't the return you wanted doesn't make it unfair. Or a fleecing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad