Confirmed with Link: Kings Sign Cal Petersen

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I didn't think much of it at first, I just thought he was a prospect that Buffalo let go. But a fairly highly regarded college goalie that chose to go free agent instead of signing with Buffalo? That seems like a nice addition.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
His numbers are amazing . Is it true he's a blue chip goalie prospect ? Some people keep mentioning him as a blue chip prospect.

I might stop short of labeling him (or any goalie) as a blue chipper. Notre Dame plays a very defensive system. Petersen's predecessor was Steve Summerhays who put up .923 in his senior year but has been in the ECHL since.

Petersen is certainly worth a contract, but it's probably a better mindset to let him surprise you rather than get your hopes too high before he faces a single shot in the AHL (ie, Ottawa and Matt O'Connor).

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I might stop short of labeling him (or any goalie) as a blue chipper. Notre Dame plays a very defensive system. Petersen's predecessor was Steve Summerhays who put up .923 in his senior year but has been in the ECHL since.

Petersen is certainly worth a contract, but it's probably a better mindset to let him surprise you rather than get your hopes too high before he faces a single shot in the AHL (ie, Ottawa and Matt O'Connor).

This should be done with every prospect, outside of a very select few.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center

Thank you ! That's true , have u ever seen him play ? Can you give a scouting report and projection ? That would be much appreciated .

neXis

Jan 3, 2016
So from what I'm reading, he's only saying that he will sign on July 1st, meaning he isn't signed or anything yet. So why get excited? What if he decides not to sign with us. I don't think that will happen, but you just never know.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Thank you ! That's true , have u ever seen him play ? Can you give a scouting report and projection ? That would be much appreciated .

Watched him play a few times over the years since NBCSN shows a bunch of Notre Dame hockey games (possibly due to their agreement with the football team). As much as I'd like to pretend like I could give a scouting report, it's tough for me to pick up too many differences between goalies (and heck, NHL teams only have sporadic success themselves). I was really high on Sam Brittain a couple years ago and he's been bouncing back between the AHL/ECHL.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I said previously that Blake could have a bit of a leg up over Dean when going after UDFA/NCAA guys since, you know, it's HHOFer Rob Blake talking to you instead of the lawyer.

Kings have been in on these types of players the past few years but I don't think players saw a clear path to playing time. Now it appears there is a wide-open bottom six and the back-up position is up for grabs as well behind an athletic goalie that is getting older and is coming off a serious injury.

Good on Blake for getting these guys. Let's hope they are more Muzzin than Piskula.

I'm thinking his NCAA playing career helps more than just being a HHoF'er. He's able to relate to them and the same level because he was once a young collegiate athlete aiming to become and NHL player.

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
I know nothing about this guy except what I've read today, but its a good signing.

Zatkoff will be in Manchester, if not waived entirely.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I had a good laugh, especially when a Sabre fan suggested that Petersen is joining a "lottery team" while ditching a team on the rise.

I guess that poster hasn't seen the standings over the last few years...

I'd call the Sabres a lottery team, but they couldn't even do that right.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Folks, I got an entire lot of ***** cows down here and the state of California won't let me sell them new! These ***** cows have only been ridden a few times, and as far as I'm concerned I'd ride them, and Lord knows you'd agree with me if you saw my old ***** cow back at home, but law says they can't be sold as new. Come on down and get yourself a good deal on some ***** cows! And for the little ones we have ***** calves in the showroom!

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I was afraid to admit that myself, but since you owned up to it... ME TOO!

Aren't you glad you finally admitted it? Now you know that pretty much every kid in SoCal thought and sang the same thing. Hell, I was like 15 when I finally figured out that it wasn't ***** cow.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Folks, I got an entire lot of ***** cows down here and the state of California won't let me sell them new! These ***** cows have only been ridden a few times, and as far as I'm concerned I'd ride them, and Lord knows you'd agree with me if you saw my old ***** cow back at home, but law says they can't be sold as new. Come on down and get yourself a good deal on some ***** cows! And for the little ones we have ***** calves in the showroom!

He had tigers and lions. Made perfect sense as a kid. :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad