Confirmed with Link: Kings Sign Cal Petersen

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
And just like that, Kings goaltending depth is pretty solid again.

Quick
Campbell
Peterson
Villalta

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Still need a vet or two for Ontario.

They got Zatkoff to team with Petersen in Ontario. Campbell will be JQ's caddy this year.

I don't know much about Petersen just that Buffalo held his rights but he was not interested in signing there. Can anyone who has watched him play live or otherwise shed some light on him? Thanks.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
They got Zatkoff to team with Petersen in Ontario. Campbell will be JQ's caddy this year.

I don't know much about Petersen just that Buffalo held his rights but he was not interested in signing there. Can anyone who has watched him play live or otherwise shed some light on him? Thanks.

Smart kid!

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Blake is doing well with signings to fill out organizational slots.

I wonder if the pitch to these types of players has changed? We all know DL was a more of a "pay your dues" type of fellow. It could be that Blake is taking more of a "spots are open if you earn it" approach.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Oh ****, full righty alert!

I like it. Another free asset signed by Blake restocking the system.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles

Zatloss shouldnt even be in Ontario. I honestly had forgot all about him.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Blake is doing well with signings to fill out organizational slots.

I wonder if the pitch to these types of players has changed? We all know DL was a more of a "pay your dues" type of fellow. It could be that Blake is taking more of a "spots are open if you earn it" approach.

DL did try to sign Alex Lyon a couple seasons ago, but he opted for the Flyers. If anything, not getting a guy like Lyon maybe made the Kings more attractive to Petersen.

CBA limits the sort of contracts you can sign NCAA free agents, so they'll typically look for a team where they think they can crack an NHL roster sooner.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Sabres fan should be polite to us. After all, if it wasn't for us giving away our first round picks to them in the early 80's, they wouldn't of had the chance to draft Phil Housley (82') and Tom Barrasso (83').

Our return on those trades were Jerry Korab and Rick Martin. :shakehead

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Blake is killing it.

He's certainly replenishing the barren cupboard that the Kings had prior to his hiring.

Since coming on board, the Kings have added the following prospects...

Cal Petersen
Oscar Fantenberg
Alex Iaffalo
Bokondji Imama

He re-signed Toffoli and Pearson to multi-year extensions that are very team friendly and has given the Kings some flexibility to make some improvements this season.

It's a pretty good first few months for a rookie GM that many despise.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Just browsed over the Sabres board and my GOD are they in need of help... so disgusting and vindictive, no wonder they suck!!! crappy fans base.... Oh and they're likely to start a lets offer sheet either LaDue or Gravel thread pretty soon

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Petersen was Notre Dame's captain and played every single game for the Irish over the past two years.

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
He's certainly replenishing the barren cupboard that the Kings had prior to his hiring.

Cal Petersen
Oscar Fantenberg
Alex Iaffalo
Bokondji Imama

He re-signed Toffoli and Pearson to multi-year extensions that are very team friendly and has given the Kings some flexibility to make some improvements this season.

Blake has done well.

I won't give him all the credit, as many of these things might have already been in process when Lombardi was on board, but with the Blake hiring our luck and outlook certainly seems to have started to turn around.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA

Cal Petersen
Oscar Fantenberg
Alex Iaffalo
Bokondji Imama

Agreed. Things are different than most summers.

Also, not to take anything away from Blake, but this organization re-invented Campbell, made an NHL player out of Scrivens, made a #1 out of Jones, Quick, and Bernier - if any goalie wants to join a team and knows it could change his career, this is the team to sign with.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I said previously that Blake could have a bit of a leg up over Dean when going after UDFA/NCAA guys since, you know, it's HHOFer Rob Blake talking to you instead of the lawyer.

Kings have been in on these types of players the past few years but I don't think players saw a clear path to playing time. Now it appears there is a wide-open bottom six and the back-up position is up for grabs as well behind an athletic goalie that is getting older and is coming off a serious injury.

Good on Blake for getting these guys. Let's hope they are more Muzzin than Piskula.

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
The other nice part with Blake has been little dragging with signings of players.

Both kopitar and Doughty had lengthy and slightly messy process going on. Doughty missed part of a season. While both those players were much more high profile, it seems like Blake knows extensions a little more. Possibly not starting with such a low $ extension number? Maybe agents just didn't cooperate with Lombardi?

Just kinda nice not having to hear about Toffoli partly missing a season because of negotiation problems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad