Pre-Game Talk: Kings @ Sens Dec. 11 The Dave Cameron Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I say we ride Greening-Smith-Neil to victory.

Double shift. Triple shift.

Powerplay. Penalty kill.

The ultimate shut down - our opponents will never score again.

Neither will we, but that's a minor point.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Who is going to trade for a player with a mysterious ailment that never seems to end?

And who would sign him to a long-term contract either?

I don't get his expectations for a contract in the midst of some sort of weird, chronic mystery injury.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
My son's school will be performing/singing, the St. FX band, he is in 318. I told him how lucky he is, and I hope I am right, to be right beside the rowdy section, which I believe is 319? I am right below in 219 and I really enjoy the energy they bring.

Looking forward to this game and see what kind of character this team has. I really like what I have read/heard. Chiasson in the Sun saying he hasn't skated that hard in practice since he has been here, and others stating how the tempo was higher and how this should help their level of play.

I like what he is doing already and perhaps with the benefit of being behind the bench for a few years will give Cameron insight on how to handle these crybabies, err, NHL hockey players.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
And who would sign him to a long-term contract either?

I don't get his expectations for a contract in the midst of some sort of weird, chronic mystery injury.

Dean Brown seems to think its some back/sciatica problem and if the sciatic nerve is tweaked the wrong way his leg goes numb.

Karlsson2Turris*

Cameron pressers are sooo boring. He tries to make Maclean type jokes but fails horribly.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Phillips has been fine this year, I think he plays fine and I don't blame him for accepting his contract and playing the minutes he plays, that's not his fault.

That being said, I don't get how, or why, our GM/owner are looking at this defense and can say without a doubt : "Ooooh look, we have our superstar dmen, we will build a defense around him, starting with Chris Phillips as his partner!" Seriously, it's mind boggling and it has been this way for 2 years. Karlsson is far from perfect, he takes risk and everything, but we know what we have with him, sometimes he's great on D and sometimes he's meh, on offense he's always the damn best. I don't blame the coach here because it's not like he has many other options, but why don't we find a good partner to have a legit 1st pairing D? We have Methot, which I like a lot, but I am getting pretty annoyed by his absence.

Phillips Karlsson just doesn't work. I know +/- is a ****** stat, but this year Karl is -10 and he should be around -5. Why am I bringing up +/- is because my ****ing Habs buddies are always bringing that thing up when we talk about Karlsson. So it brought me to say why don't we help him, find him a good d-men? And I am not talking like we did for Spezza for 10 years, a good defensive D is cheaper to get than an offensive star.

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010
My son's school will be performing/singing, the St. FX band, he is in 318. I told him how lucky he is, and I hope I am right, to be right beside the rowdy section, which I believe is 319? I am right below in 219 and I really enjoy the energy they bring.

Yes you are correct, and that will be awesome! Not all home games this season are officially RSU/cheering section events (10 game trial + I think they have added more due to the good reception). Not sure if tonight is one of those nights but hopefully it is! :) Also, section 318 is used as a "spillover' section for cheering once 319 is full, so your son may be right in the middle of it :laugh::yo:

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Plan A was obviously Methot. Failure to bring in a real plan B could hurt but I don't know how long they expected this to last, who they might have brought in, what it might have cost in terms of assets or dev. time for others once Meth returns for good.

Derivation

Jan 4, 2010
All the M's are injured. Surprised about Methot, didn't play Sunday so that would be 4 full days off and still not good to go.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Yes you are correct, and that will be awesome! Not all home games this season are officially RSU/cheering section events (10 game trial + I think they have added more due to the good reception). Not sure if tonight is one of those nights but hopefully it is! :) Also, section 318 is used as a "spillover' section for cheering once 319 is full, so your son may be right in the middle of it :laugh::yo:

Cool!

They should expand it to the other side of the arena, get two sections going

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Phillips has been fine this year, I think he plays fine and I don't blame him for accepting his contract and playing the minutes he plays, that's not his fault.

I see a few other fans make this same statement, but it really isn't true at all if you objectively watch Chris Phillips. He's a liability and probably not NHL calibre at the moment.

I agree it's not his fault for the minutes or the contract. Let's be real tho, Chris Phillips has not been fine.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Plan A was obviously Methot. Failure to bring in a real plan B could hurt but I don't know how long they expected this to last, who they might have brought in, what it might have cost in terms of assets or dev. time for others once Meth returns for good.

Had the org known Methot would be out this long, you have to think they'd have tried to bring in help (be it via a UFA like Stralman or trade for a guy like Boychuk or Leddy).

The mis-calculation likely sped up MacLean losing his job significantly and may have cost the team a chance at the post season.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I see a few other fans make this same statement, but it really isn't true at all if you objectively watch Chris Phillips. He's a liability and probably not NHL calibre at the moment.

I agree it's not his fault for the minutes or the contract. Let's be real tho, Chris Phillips has not been fine.

I imagine there are lots of 3rd pair defensmen that would look absolutely terrible if their coach put them on the top pair for 20+ mins a night. Their coaches either have the sense or the depth not to.

Idk if Phillips would look good playing 14 mins a night on PK and the 3rd pair, but I do know he looks worse playing 20+ on the 1st pair.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I imagine there are lots of 3rd pair defensmen that would look absolutely terrible if their coach put them on the top pair for 20+ mins a night. Their coaches either have the sense or the depth not to.

Idk if Phillips would look good playing 14 mins a night on PK and the 3rd pair, but I do know he looks worse playing 20+ on the 1st pair.

Agree to a degree - Borowiecki isn't the ideal partner for EK, but he looks much more solid than Phillips in that position.

It's not a coincidence to me that our best defensive games this season have been games when Phillips has not played. I'm not a Phillips hater either, I think Chris Phillips could be argued as the best #3 in the league during his prime. I'm just trying to evaluate the Senators as objectively as I can as a fan. I think Phillips clearly been the worst player on the team this season and last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad