Pre-Game Talk: Kings @ Sens Dec. 11 The Dave Cameron Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Agree to a degree - Borowiecki isn't the ideal partner for EK, but he looks much more solid than Phillips in that position.

It's not a coincidence to me that our best defensive games this season have been games when Phillips has not played. I'm not a Phillips hater either, I think Chris Phillips could be argued as the best #3 in the league during his prime. I'm just trying to evaluate the Senators as objectively as I can as a fan. I think Phillips clearly been the worst player on the team this season and last season.

Phillips actually looked pretty good for the first ~10 games and then it went downhill from there. IMO, his age has caught up to him and he just can't handle 20 mins every night anymore. Fatigue sets in and the mental errors pile up. Boro doesn't have that issue, he's still young.

I guess my point is his overuse makes him not only exposed, but play worse than he would otherwise. His skating is still good enough for 3rd pair duties, his strength is still there, it's his endurance, decision making, and reaction time that's the issue, and the first is impacting the other two negitively. Reducing his TOI will give us a better idea of if he's still an NHL talent, but until we see that happen, we'll never know for sure.

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013
Had the org known Methot would be out this long, you have to think they'd have tried to bring in help (be it via a UFA like Stralman or trade for a guy like Boychuk or Leddy).

The mis-calculation likely sped up MacLean losing his job significantly and may have cost the team a chance at the post season.

Whether they knew about Methots condition earlier or not shudnt matter. Either way they shudve tried for another top 4 dman. Based on last seasons performance there is no way one can say that the sens defense will be much better this year. The sens are clearly lacking at least one top 4 dman whether Methot is healthy or not

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I see a few other fans make this same statement, but it really isn't true at all if you objectively watch Chris Phillips. He's a liability and probably not NHL calibre at the moment.

I agree it's not his fault for the minutes or the contract. Let's be real tho, Chris Phillips has not been fine.

Actually I missed 2 Senators game this year, and I watch objectively as I said bad things on him last year and some good in the past. However, I objectively think he has done fine this year, saying he is not NHL calibre is what I would say, not objective. He's a liability on that top pairing, that's for sure!

People trash him a lot in here, which isn't fair considering he's not the one deciding to play 20mins a night, that's where my post come from, why don't management/owner realize we have a star on D that we need to help.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Whether they knew about Methots condition earlier or not shudnt matter. Either way they shudve tried for another top 4 dman. Based on last seasons performance there is no way one can say that the sens defense will be much better this year. The sens are clearly lacking at least one top 4 dman whether Methot is healthy or not

I think one or two of the following would have made a world of difference.

Leddy
Boychuk
Niskanen
Stralman

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think one or two of the following would have made a world of difference.

Leddy
Boychuk
Niskanen
Stralman

Stralman and niskanen...meh. put them on this mess and I think we see some shoddy play...

Leddy yes. young.. can learn..

Boy chuck would also have been good.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Wow i love how cameron is so honest with the media instead of doing the Maclean "game time decision" he straight up says he is not gonna count on him playing. same thing for Milo, instead of hes day to day, he said day to day but will miss the next two at least. I can get used to listening to a coach not playing dumb mind games in every press conference

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
It would be nice if we could give Puempel a shot on the LW with Michalek out.

Too bad we have dead weight like Greening and Condra taking up roster spots.

MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan
Puempel-Lazar-Chiasson
Legwand-Smith-Neil

Could have been a nice trial.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
It would be nice if we could give Puempel a shot on the LW with Michalek out.

Too bad we have dead weight like Greening and Condra taking up roster spots.

MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan
Puempel-Lazar-Chiasson
Legwand-Smith-Neil

Could have been a nice trial.

I would give Prince a shot first. He has earned it I think more so than Puempel.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Karlsson 100% for the full year, Ceci continuing to progress, Cowen rounding back into form after missing lots of action, swapping a high risk center for a more defensive minded one,

These are all reasons the defense should have been better this year. We had one of the youngest D groups in the league last year and the expectations should be them progressing.

I can't fault them for wanting to see 5-10 games with what they have before making a move, but with Methot out, you could argue they just kept pushing back the date to make their assesement.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Im down to play Legwand with Turris and stone he has the closest resemblance to MacArthurs game.

Hoffman - Zibby - Ryan
Legwand - Turris - Stone
Condra - Lazar - Chiasson
Greening - Smith - Neil

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
No Methot no MacArthur and Greening on the first line against the Stanley Cup Champs. Oh boy Andy you're in for a night.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Don't understand your concern. Are you concerned because they currently play on their off side?

All but Leddy are right handed D playing on the right side. We have a glaring need for a LD right now, not a RD.

I guess one of them could push Ceci down to the 3rd pair and Gryba out, but my guess is the preference would be to push one of Phillips or Boro out of the lineup, and certainly out of the top 4.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Don't understand your concern. Are you concerned because they currently play on their off side?

Yes. Niskanen, Stralman, Boychuck all RD. If the need is for another top 4, someone to soften the blow of having Methot out so long, I think it's preferable they play the left side. Ceci has been money so far. No need for a demotion. I argued for Stralman in the offseason because I wasn't sure that would be the case.

Murray asked himself if he overvalued the players in his presser. Cowen would seem to be someone he's talking about indirectly. They expect big things from him too and probably don't want to place another obstacle in his way by importing a high profile piece. I'm just giving best guesses here. Trying to get where they could be coming from.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Yes. Niskanen, Stralman, Boychuck all RD. If the need is for another top 4, someone to soften the blow of having Methot out so long, I think it's preferable they play the left side. Ceci has been money so far. No need for a demotion. I argued for Stralman in the offseason because I wasn't sure that would be the case.

Murray asked himself if he overvalued the players in his presser. Cowen would seem to be someone he's talking about indirectly. They expect big things from him too and probably don't want to place another obstacle in his way by importing a high profile piece. I'm just giving best guesses here. Trying to get where they could be coming from.

Yeah, agreed that LD is the main focus. But I wouldn't mind pushing Ceci to the third pairing instead of Gryba. I like what Gryba brings, but we need more speed and puck moving on the D.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Actually I missed 2 Senators game this year, and I watch objectively as I said bad things on him last year and some good in the past. However, I objectively think he has done fine this year, saying he is not NHL calibre is what I would say, not objective. He's a liability on that top pairing, that's for sure!

People trash him a lot in here, which isn't fair considering he's not the one deciding to play 20mins a night, that's where my post come from, why don't management/owner realize we have a star on D that we need to help.

Claiming Phillips isn't NHL calibre is a totally legitimate comment. He wouldn't play on most teams. Agreed with the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad