Confirmed with Link: Kings Re-Sign Trevor "Stone Hands" Lewis

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
why do you single me out when others are talking about King and Clifford's contracts being moved?

It's like some people don't realize the Kings are trying to add contributing hockey players into a tight cap and then get butt hurt because their favorite player is the most logical choice to go.

Dumping King or Clifford and rolling with Mersch could be the difference between signing and not signing someone like Ladd.

I have been reading you complaining about Clifford for at least 3 years. You have alway brought up his non scoring and him being concussed. I have not seen you state anything positive about him. This is a player that gets 8-10 mins a game. He is not the problem with the kings lack of scoring Clifford is on the kings to play physical something you always fail to mention and you wondering why people single you out come on give me a break. I know i may ***** about king but what everyone fails to mention is i always bring up the positive in trade threads on him.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
1) It's June 26th.
2) Right now, the Kings have 12 forwards signed, which leaves 1 or 2 spots open.
3) King and Clifford can still be traded.

Exactly my thinking. Those 2 Cups have take away the stress of being a Kings fan. The painting isn't finished yet, let's wait and see what Lombardi does before we have a fight amongst ourselves about who's the smartest guy who watches the Kings play on TV.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
And so it can't be done from within?

Mersh?Dowd?Shore?

Are they making more than a million that i'm not aware of?

They will have to earn it, then you remove NHL bodies, not remove NHL bodies, then see if prospects work out.

What you people are advocating is to move NHL players, and see if prospects work out.

Process starts this training camp, lets see if any of these AHL guys have what it takes.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
They will have to earn it, then you remove NHL bodies, not remove NHL bodies, then see if prospects work out.

What you people are advocating is to move NHL players, and see if prospects work out.

Process starts this training camp, lets see if any of these AHL guys have what it takes.

No, we're advocating moving borderline NHL players who are likely healthy scratches, There are multiple borderline NHL players who are prospects who will be battling each other out for a roster spot. And get a pick in the process, instead of chancing losing the veterans to waivers if a prospect beats them out of a roster spot.

If the prospects can't cut in in the NHL, they can be the healthy scratches or sent to the minors. Nobody is advocating pigeonholing a player just because he's a shiny new toy.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
Do you even know what DL offered Williams?

Wasn't Williams quoted something like teams get complacent after winning a cup and you often have to restructure with hungrier players to win again. Maybe the offers weren't that different and he just felt he would have a better chance at a cup again with a hungrier team after we missed the playoffs.

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood

Mersch played with more fire than Clifford. It's not like i'm saying we should throw in cernak and kick out McNabb. Mersch is a pro already and has taken in some experience on NHL ice last season.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Mersch played with more fire than Clifford. It's not like i'm saying we should throw in cernak and kick out McNabb. Mersch is a pro already and has taken in some experience on NHL ice last season.

What?? Clifford always plays with fire and is probably one of the top guys on the team who brings it every night. He just has very limited skill so he doesn't make any skilled plays that change the game. He's probably one of the hardest forecheckers on the team though along with Pearson.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
What?? Clifford always plays with fire and is probably one of the top guys on the team who brings it every night. He just has very limited skill so he doesn't make any skilled plays that change the game. He's probably one of the hardest forecheckers on the team though along with Pearson.

Gotta agree. Clifford, while limited in his abilities, has always been a hard worker. He was pretty much the only guy with a pulse against San Jose.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Wasn't Williams quoted something like teams get complacent after winning a cup and you often have to restructure with hungrier players to win again. Maybe the offers weren't that different and he just felt he would have a better chance at a cup again with a hungrier team after we missed the playoffs.

A large part, perhaps the biggest factor, was his wife wanting to move back the East Coast, she's from South Jersey.

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
I like the contract but I worry about roster spots for some AHL guys

What does Lewis have to do with that? Mersh is almost a carbon copy of King. Shore is like Lewis but I'd much rather have Lewis. With King being a UFA, Lombardi can deal him for Mersh to come up if he sees fit.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
What does Lewis have to do with that? Mersh is almost a carbon copy of King. Shore is like Lewis but I'd much rather have Lewis. With King being a UFA, Lombardi can deal him for Mersh to come up if he sees fit.

Well he will command a roster spot which means one less for a potential rookie. I think if King was going to be traded it owuld have happened at the draft. I was hoping he was going to be moved for a 2nd.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
Well he will command a roster spot which means one less for a potential rookie. I think if King was going to be traded it owuld have happened at the draft. I was hoping he was going to be moved for a 2nd.

No way he will get moved before training camp at least unless we make a splash in free agency. None of our prospects have proven enough pass him on the depth chart. Just like Voynov had to prove he was ready to make Jack Johnson tradeable.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
The problem with a 3rd line of King-Lewis-Brown is if somebody in the top 6 goes down to injury (and they will) all 3 have proven over time that they cannot produce offense if they are given more ES or PP minutes.

Keith Sweaty

Apr 13, 2015
The problem with a 3rd line of King-Lewis-Brown is if somebody in the top 6 goes down to injury (and they will) all 3 have proven over time that they cannot produce offense if they are given more ES or PP minutes.

I'm going out on a limb here but are you by chance a very bearded fellow that I see wearing a Kings shirt at Out of the Park pizza off of Imperial and Orangethorpe?

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006

Whether you think its right or not, defensive liability matters more to this team than offensive production.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
They specialize in preventing goals from being scored when they're on the ice. By that I mean preventing the Kings from scoring goals.

The truly puzzling aspect of Sutter's decision making behind the bench is all 3 are given regular PP time. Lewis averaged :22 and scored 1 point on the PP. Brown averaged 1:01 of PP time, which is just outrageous and he managed 2 goals and 1 assist ON THE SEASON! And King averaged :26 seconds and didn't register a point on the PP. So to King fans saying these guys are responsible on the ice defensively the stats show they were on the ice for 21 more goals against than they scored and they are given PP time, despite being so called defensive forwards, and they fail miserably there. So what are they doing exactly? Lewis can be pushed down to the 4th line with a free agent 3C and King can still be dealt, we all know we're stuck with Brown unless Columbus or Philly take Deans call one more time-I'd like to see more change in the bottom 6, more dynamic players, no more butt or face to the boards players.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The truly puzzling aspect of Sutter's decision making behind the bench is all 3 are given regular PP time. Lewis averaged :22 and scored 1 point on the PP. Brown averaged 1:01 of PP time, which is just outrageous and he managed 2 goals and 1 assist ON THE SEASON! And King averaged :26 seconds and didn't register a point on the PP. So to King fans saying these guys are responsible on the ice defensively the stats show they were on the ice for 21 more goals against than they scored and they are given PP time, despite being so called defensive forwards, and they fail miserably there. So what are they doing exactly? Lewis can be pushed down to the 4th line with a free agent 3C and King can still be dealt, we all know we're stuck with Brown unless Columbus or Philly take Deans call one more time-I'd like to see more change in the bottom 6, more dynamic players, no more butt or face to the boards players.

With the exception of Brown they often get the tail end of the PP off into even strength--they don't get real PP unit time, they're the defensively responsible group that shores it up after.

They had a bad year last year but if you're using that as representative of their careers defensively you're going to be biased. Both Lewis and King had the worst "-"s of their careers last year, significant dropoffs.

Also the "-" side is exaggerated because of their lack of goal output--not that you can ignore it, but let's also be realistic about it. But I don't think anyone is going to say many of our bottom sixers had a good season, that's not what I'm arguing either

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
With the exception of Brown they often get the tail end of the PP off into even strength--they don't get real PP unit time, they're the defensively responsible group that shores it up after.

They had a bad year last year but if you're using that as representative of their careers defensively you're going to be biased. Both Lewis and King had the worst "-"s of their careers last year, significant dropoffs.

Also the "-" side is exaggerated because of their lack of goal output--not that you can ignore it, but let's also be realistic about it. But I don't think anyone is going to say many of our bottom sixers had a good season, that's not what I'm arguing either

as a whole our bottom 6 was terrible last season, King when healthy isn't a bad defensive player with a 25 pt ceiling, Lewis has grown the last 2 season and will probably hit that 20 pt 10/10 level so thats 22-25 goals from 2 bottom 6 players.. Now you ned other guys to step up and try to close the gap between the top 6 and the bottom 6 aka create a better balance between the lines...

Kings-Lewis-Brown
Clifford-Shore-Nolan

Thats probably not going to cut it so hopefully guys like
Kempe
Mersch
Dowd
can step up and take a spot or sign some UFA to help field a better B6....

Seventyx7

Carter Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2004
Norcal
as a whole our bottom 6 was terrible last season, King when healthy isn't a bad defensive player with a 25 pt ceiling, Lewis has grown the last 2 season and will probably hit that 20 pt 10/10 level so thats 22-25 goals from 2 bottom 6 players.. Now you ned other guys to step up and try to close the gap between the top 6 and the bottom 6 aka create a better balance between the lines...

Kings-Lewis-Brown
Clifford-Shore-Nolan

Thats probably not going to cut it so hopefully guys like
Kempe
Mersch
Dowd
can step up and take a spot or sign some UFA to help field a better B6....

Dowd has a chance to really surprise some people this year. I'm probably higher on him than most but I could see him chipping in this season.

mattgkg

Jan 16, 2015
Dowd has a chance to really surprise some people this year. I'm probably higher on him than most but I could see him chipping in this season.

i hope dowd shines. shore sure was disappointing.

think he could be what they saw in store for king - lewis/shore - brown last year since both are offensive blackholes.

scramble91

Jul 6, 2010
i hope dowd shines. shore sure was disappointing.

think he could be what they saw in store for king - lewis/shore - brown last year since both are offensive blackholes.

People forget shore is still young. Dowd is almost 3 years older than shore...and is still behind on the depth chart. I do have hope in dowd as he just showed a tad bit more fire than shore. Make no mistake thier offensive games were pretty close...

Shore needs to get more power on his shot.... This year is the one to show if his development stalled...but please remember he is still a kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad