Confirmed with Link: Kings Re-Sign Trevor "Stone Hands" Lewis

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The kids?

They traded away a ton of picks and prospects to chase a third cup, even before that they traded away the guy they took in 2009, whiffed on the 2010 pick and traded away the 2011 and 2013 picks.

It is what it is, bad drafting coupled with bad trades, there just aren't many kid ready to step in.

Reminds me of what Detroit did after winning their second Cup in a row in '98.

Same with the Avs after 2001, trying to reclaim their previous success while trading away youth and future building blocks.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I am a half season ticket holder and it's going to be tough to sell me on that the Kings let Williams go, traded for Lucic, let him go, and signed Trevor Lewis. How can they ask us for our money now?

Boomer on NHL network said it best....where are the kids?

The Kings held onto Brown, King and Clifford and re signed Lewis.

What rookie forward made the team last season? None. Shore and Andreoff were here from the year before.

You make it sound like they could've moved Brown to any team at any time and passed.

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
I am a half season ticket holder and it's going to be tough to sell me on that the Kings let Williams go, traded for Lucic, let him go, and signed Trevor Lewis. How can they ask us for our money now? .

So you would give Lucic 8 yrs @ $6M? Please.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
No, but if they weren't going to pay him they shouldn't have traded for him.

I guess that's my biggest issue with the deal, did DL really think he'd be able to sign him in the first place knowing our cap situation? You'd have to think he knew he'd be asking for at least 6 mil over 5-7 years, right?

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I get the Sekera deal, Kings needed help on D and thought they could use the help down the stretch run.

Lucic, on the other hand, Kings could have just re-signed Williams for 3.5, kept The 1st, kept Colin Miller and used possibly one of those assets and Martin Jones for a #4 D to replace Voynov.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I get the Sekera deal, Kings needed help on D and thought they could use the help down the stretch run.

Lucic, on the other hand, Kings could have just re-signed Williams for 3.5, kept The 1st, kept Colin Miller and used possibly one of those assets and Martin Jones for a #4 D to replace Voynov.

Do you even know what DL offered Williams?

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010

Exactly! You can't trade for soon to be UFA's who will be in high demand and expect to re-sign them without offering term and trade clauses. Accept it or stop trading for these types (my preferred choice).

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
:laugh:

Greatest contract ever!!!!

Got our first line winger after Brown's demotion.

Edit: Sorry for the absence. Didn't die, but did get a quick unplanned tune up. Only better news is Lewis signing for term!

Last edited:

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Yeah that Lucic trade was a huge mistake, I hated it then and now. Something about it still irks me, like the main need of the team not being addressed. Lombardi was probably looking to shore up the D but then dropped everything as soon as he heard Lucic was available. That move wasn't thought out at all.

I would do the Sekera trade 9 times out of 10. The team was on a 7 or 8 game winning streak down the stretch, you almost have to make a move like that. No one's perfect, so I just hope he's learned from his mistakes.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
:laugh:

Greatest contract ever!!!!

Got our first line winger after Brown's demotion.

Edit: Sorry for the absence. Didn't die, but did get a quick unplanned tune up. Only better news is Lewis signing for term!

Hey, you're giving us a scare. Glad to have you back and hope everything is okay.

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California
Meh. My guess is that Lombardi gambled on the Lucic trade. Had we won the cup, letting him walk would be OK... It was a deadline type deal made in the offseason, but maybe he underestimated the problem on defense. McNabb and Ehrhoff disappointed, Scuderi wasn't much better and Doughty again had to play a ton of minutes. The Kings weren't going anywhere with that defense.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
The more and more i think about it and judging Futa and Yanettis comments about 5 players possibly making the jump i have a feeling Kempe is going to start the year on Kopitars wing.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
The Lucic trade didn't bother me all that much. When you already have a good team, and you can get a guy like Lucic for 3.25M, you do it. Jones was leaving and everyone knew it, the team wasn't going to get value. Miller is meh. The pick probably hurts the most.

I'd rather have my GM make a move like that and fail than to go with the status quo that was already failing.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
To me, it's not about being overpaid. He's got a long term contract and he's practically had a concussion in every season since he's been in the NHL. He rarely shows the feistiness he once brought to his game. I feel that whole 1.6 million could be spent elsewhere (possible have 2 players in the lineup instead of one.)

If two NHL bodies could be had for 800k a piece, they would be on the Kings roster, and replaced Clifford by now.

Last edited:

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
The more and more i think about it and judging Futa and Yanettis comments about 5 players possibly making the jump i have a feeling Kempe is going to start the year on Kopitars wing.

Kempe is too inconsistent in the AHL to make the jump right now. He will need another AHL season.

Jul 31, 2005
CA

You really think Sutter is going to play Kempe at #1LW without earning it? If you're Sutter how much respect do you lose in the locker room when you bypass vets for an unproven kid? It deflates your whole hard work theory behind the ice time he hands out.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
why do you single me out when others are talking about King and Clifford's contracts being moved?

It's like some people don't realize the Kings are trying to add contributing hockey players into a tight cap and then get butt hurt because their favorite player is the most logical choice to go.

Dumping King or Clifford and rolling with Mersch could be the difference between signing and not signing someone like Ladd.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
why do you single me out when others are talking about King and Clifford's contracts being moved?

It's like some people don't realize the Kings are trying to add contributing hockey players into a tight cap and then get butt hurt because their favorite player is the most logical choice to go.

Dumping King or Clifford and rolling with Mersch could be the difference between signing and not signing someone like Ladd.

You're one of my favorite posters. Logical, pragmatic. Thus, your points are going to get singled out even if you're not invested in them emotionally.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I think the Kings are going to give Kempe a hard look. He's 20 in September. He is a clutch player which usually translates into a solid NHL player.

The Kings don't have much choice with the cap. Might as well see what Kempe-Kopitar-Gaborik looks like or Kempe-Kopitar-Brown or Kemep-Kopitar-Toffoli.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
And so it can't be done from within?

Mersh?Dowd?Shore?

Are they making more than a million that i'm not aware of?

Apparently when you make that suggestion, you think the Kings are giving prospects roster spots and reverting to the dark ages.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I guess that's my biggest issue with the deal, did DL really think he'd be able to sign him in the first place knowing our cap situation? You'd have to think he knew he'd be asking for at least 6 mil over 5-7 years, right?

Doesn't change the end outcome but I think it was because of DL's cold feet and sudden change in philosophy mid-year...he went from 'we're all in' to 'weeelllll let's plan for the future.'

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad