Confirmed with Link: Kings Re-Sign Trevor "Stone Hands" Lewis

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Fun fact:Trevor Lewis has scored 1 point on the PP in his career and he did that last season. Talk about producing in your free agent year, cha ching!

Ha ha, that actually cheered me up

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
People have a warped idea of what bottom six players actually produce.

Also Lewis is one of the fastest skaters, he also plays fast. Lewis is not the problem with the bottom six.

Great signing for the Kings.

Exactly. People think every player on the team should score at least 15-20 goals.

Anybody complaining about this signing has no concept of how winning hockey teams are built.

Fantastic deal.

It'd be nice if the mods changed the snarky title of this thread too. Just sayin'

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Exactly. People think every player on the team should score at least 15-20 goals.

Anybody complaining about this signing has no concept of how winning hockey teams are built.

Fantastic deal.

I remember cutting and pasting some of the 'best' bottom sixes around the league to this forum and most of them barely scored more than the Kings. The ones that did typically had a player like Dustin Brown who floated up and down the lineup making it look like the bottom six was scoring more.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Bottom 6 players scoring goals are a bonus Players like nolan clifford andreoff etc are there to be physical not to score imo I get frustrated at hearing that they don't score especially when most night there playing under 10 mins a game like wtf do you expect

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Somehow people think complaining about the lack of production means they are expecting these guys to score 15-20 goals.

Not the case. But the facts are Clifford made $1.6m last year and scored 3 goals, and went through a stretch between 14-15 and 15-16 where he had 1 goal in 61 games, I'm sorry but that is totally unacceptable for a player making what he makes. If the Kings wanted toughness and nothing else they could sign someone for the league minimum, and maybe that guy could actually win a fight.

I am happy that Lewis is back at 2m a year because he contributes in a lot of ways, wouldn't have wanted him at 3, but 2 is fair.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Bottom 6 players scoring goals are a bonus Players like nolan clifford andreoff etc are there to be physical not to score imo I get frustrated at hearing that they don't score especially when most night there playing under 10 mins a game like wtf do you expect

Glad you're not including our top line winger Dwight King in that crew. :-P

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Somehow people think complaining about the lack of production means they are expecting these guys to score 15-20 goals.

Not the case. But the facts are Clifford made $1.6m last year and scored 3 goals, and went through a stretch between 14-15 and 15-16 where he had 1 goal in 61 games, I'm sorry but that is totally unacceptable for a player making what he makes. If the Kings wanted toughness and nothing else they could sign someone for the league minimum, and maybe that guy could actually win a fight.

I am happy that Lewis is back at 2m a year because he contributes in a lot of ways, wouldn't have wanted him at 3, but 2 is fair.

Jared Boll, 1.7 million, 1 goal.
Burmistrov, 1.5 million, 7 goals.
Stewart, 1.7 million, 8 goals.
Dom Moore, 1.5 million, 6 goals.
Horcoff, 1.75, 6 goals.
Gerbe, 1.75, 3 goals.

Cliffords personal points/60 and goals/60 is greater than every single one of those with only a couple of exceptions (Horcoffs p/60 and stewarts g/60, though I looked quickly).

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Horcoff, 1.75, 6 goals.
Gerbe, 1.75, 3 goals.

Cliffords personal points/60 and goals/60 is greater than every single one of those with only a couple of exceptions (Horcoffs p/60 and stewarts g/60, though I looked quickly).

Congrats, you just compared Clifford to some of the most disappointing or in Boll's case worst players in the NHL.

And some of these guys, even when not scoring are much more rounded players than Clifford.

Clifford's on ice play just doesn't warrant his salary, especially for a team up against the cap

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Horcoff, 1.75, 6 goals.
Gerbe, 1.75, 3 goals.

ty for posting this Herby likes to forget that Clifford is among the team leaders in hits which is why he make 1.6 million Also forgets he was injured and just starting coming back around in the playoff s and does it playing less than 10 mins a game

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
We're not the only ones with offensive expectations for the 3C position. Sutter has said he looks for a number from that position, meaning production. Need a guy who's gonna put up 30-40 points in that slot. As of right now I don't think the Kings have one.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Horcoff, 1.75, 6 goals.
Gerbe, 1.75, 3 goals.

I don't want any of those guys on the team either

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Congrats, you just compared Clifford to some of the most disappointing or in Boll's case worst players in the NHL.

And some of these guys, even when not scoring are much more rounded players than Clifford.

Clifford's on ice play just doesn't warrant his salary, especially for a team up against the cap

Call it what you want, those are his contract comparables, and many are getting trotted out on third lines throughout the league. Clifford does more with less on the fourth line. He's not out of his contract league. Hell I could come up with far worse:

Winnik, 2.25 for 5 goals
Moen, 1.85 for ZERO goals
Ott, 2.6 for ZERO goals
Talbot, 1.8 for two goals
Gaustad, 3.2 for two goals
Nystrom, 2.5 for 7 goals, and literally NO assists
Bickell, 4 million for ZERO

Need I go on?

And that's just raw goals and production, Clifford is a far more positive influence in his role than many of those guys. He's strong in possession, amongst the league leaders in hits, stands up for his teammates.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't want any of those guys on the team either

Now imagine that those guys are in third line roles instead of fourth line roles.

And next time someone complains about Clifford, realize that many other teams are paying players WORSE than clifford to be key parts of their third line.

AKA *****ing about the bottom six is getting tiresome, and I'm getting sick of refuting things.

If you want to be upset that there are redundancies, that's another thing altogether and I'll agree. But trying to pin our 'woes'--which are grossly overstated--on Clifford is misinformed at best.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Clifford's overpaid by what? 400K?? Boyy what a heftyy contract.

Some of you guys need to stop crying about it.

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
Clifford's overpaid by what? 400K?? Boyy what a heftyy contract.

Some of you guys need to stop crying about it.

To me, it's not about being overpaid. He's got a long term contract and he's practically had a concussion in every season since he's been in the NHL. He rarely shows the feistiness he once brought to his game. I feel that whole 1.6 million could be spent elsewhere (possible have 2 players in the lineup instead of one.)

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
Now imagine that those guys are in third line roles instead of fourth line roles.

And next time someone complains about Clifford, realize that many other teams are paying players WORSE than clifford to be key parts of their third line.

AKA *****ing about the bottom six is getting tiresome, and I'm getting sick of refuting things.

If you want to be upset that there are redundancies, that's another thing altogether and I'll agree. But trying to pin our 'woes'--which are grossly overstated--on Clifford is misinformed at best.

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Andy Andreoff had 8 goals in 60 games.

That is more than Clifford, Nolan and Shore combined...and the same as Lewis.

I love Clifford but give Andreoff a shot for gods sake...he can fight and has skills and has already produced better than the entire 4th line and half the 3rd line.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Andy Andreoff had 8 goals in 60 games.

That is more than Clifford, Nolan and Shore combined...and the same as Lewis.

I love Clifford but give Andreoff a shot for gods sake...he can fight and has skills and has already produced better than the entire 4th line and half the 3rd line.

Even ignoring the pucks that went in for him at the end of the year, Andreoff looked like he had really turned a corner; if he can be that guy full-time he's a stud. But then, I've said that about Nolan too.

Clifford is what he is at this point, but those two guys are wild cards. Tough to say who should stay vs. who should go (beyond Andreoff I mean, he should definitely get a long look)

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
to a man on this team, I like King, Lewis, Clifford, AndyA, . I am excited about Kempe, Mersch, Dowd. We can't move Brown and Shore and Nolan are good fill in players at a cheaper price that can sit in thepress box if needed.

All the contracts on this team in the bottom 6 with the exception of Brown are decently priced as a player.

Its the excess of bottom 6 players we have that bug me. Yes some are young but we have to take the chance on them. We still have no bottom 6 Centers I trust.

Clifford - is replaced by Andy A - saves 1 million
King - is replaced by Mersch - saves 1.1 million

3rd line - Shore - Brown - Mersch
4th line - Dowd - Lewis - Andreoff

Bench - Nolan

Hopefully Dean has a few cards up his sleeve

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
29e0n11.jpg

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I am a half season ticket holder and it's going to be tough to sell me on that the Kings let Williams go, traded for Lucic, let him go, and signed Trevor Lewis. How can they ask us for our money now?

Boomer on NHL network said it best....where are the kids?

The Kings held onto Brown, King and Clifford and re signed Lewis.

What rookie forward made the team last season? None. Shore and Andreoff were here from the year before.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
The kids?

They traded away a ton of picks and prospects to chase a third cup, even before that they traded away the guy they took in 2009, whiffed on the 2010 pick and traded away the 2011 and 2013 picks.

It is what it is, bad drafting coupled with bad trades, there just aren't many kid ready to step in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad