Confirmed with Link: Kings Re-Sign Muzzin

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
TL = Terry Lurray. Terry Murray's evil twin.

Or Trevor Lewis.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Paid a bit more then I thought but he is an Rfa instead of UFA at the end and 2 years will showcase the true impact he will have. Like the length and can live w the price. Not like it broke the bank

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Lewis would be awesome at this price. Muzzin got a payday, but it is all reasonable. As long as we get everyone locked in.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
A-Mart is going to be miles better than Muzzin when all said in done. Put A-Mart in a system that allows defenseman to activate and you will see his true value.
The system is not going to change with Sutter so it probably would be the best for A-Mart if he moved on.

Miles better? Doubtful. This is Muzzin's first real year in the NHL (not even a full season) and he's put up better numbers than Martinez has. We will get a true indicator of where Muzzin is really at after next year. He has a year of playoffs under his belt and should keep getting better.

Honestly, between the two I'd rather have Muzzin at this point. Martinez goes through these long droughts where he's abysmal.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
While I agree, odds are if DL was going to trade Muzzin it would have been before he went through the entire process of getting a contract done. You don't often see guys sign contracts then get dealt the same off-season, and DL will need to send someone packing between now and camp in all likelihood, especially if Mitchell is expected back.

Visnovsky?

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I actually view Muzzin as being more like Sydor with the hot passes and the shakiness when it comes to handling physical play, which is something both Sydor and Muzzin struggled with. Not exactly sure what happened with Martinez though, but he struggled to the point where the coaching staff lost faith in him, and his struggles were very evident. I can't forget that horrible game by him against Phoenix...

I agree and Sydor also played great as a forward as well, especially in Kamloops with Scott Niedermayer as the D man.

Only difference is, Muzzin plays forward for the other team. :sarcasm:

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Miles better? Doubtful. This is Muzzin's first real year in the NHL (not even a full season) and he's put up better numbers than Martinez has. We will get a true indicator of where Muzzin is really at after next year. He has a year of playoffs under his belt and should keep getting better.

Honestly, between the two I'd rather have Muzzin at this point. Martinez goes through these long droughts where he's abysmal.

Better numbers.... because numbers are all it's about?

Martinez went the final 14 games of the 2012 playoffs without having a goal scored against him. That's a very impressive number.

Visnovsky?

Incorrect. He signed the extension one full year before it was to begin. He was then dealt a year later, just a few days before it kicked in. He signed the extension one off-season, and was traded the next.

HolyShot*

Letting martinez go is going to hurt us. Sounds like sutters running the ship now.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Letting martinez go is going to hurt us. Sounds like sutters running the ship now.

I think it's the preference of management and the coaching staff to have a bigger defense, and with both Muzzin and Martinez being considered offensive defensemen, I guess they view the bigger player with the harder shot to be ahead in the depth chart. Being two years younger than Martinez probably gives the team more confidence as well in knowing that Muzzin may be around longer than Martinez, who will be eligible to become a UFA next year I believe.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I think it's the preference of management and the coaching staff to have a bigger defense, and with both Muzzin and Martinez being considered offensive defensemen, I guess they view the bigger player with the harder shot to be ahead in the depth chart. Being two years younger than Martinez probably gives the team more confidence as well in knowing that Muzzin may be around longer than Martinez, who will be eligible to become a UFA next year I believe.

We could trade Brown and free up some cap space for Martinez :dunno:

This is sarcasm of the highest order.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Hopefully he's still improving. I like Martinez better because of his all round game and puck moving capabilities, he had a dreadful season though... But the writing is on the wall on this one... Hasta luego, Alec.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Martinez is smart and steady. A great guy to have on our 3rd pairing. He will be missed. Having said that, I'm happy for him because I know he'll go elsewhere and develop into a good all around dman. He's got 2nd pairing potential imo.

KingHouse11

Jul 5, 2013
Don't sell Muzzin short just yet, with a half year and long playoff run under his belt I think he's going to be even better next season. He still has to get stronger and quicker with his decisions but all the tools are there, plus he has decent size. As long as there isn't a rash of injuries again he'll have a more stable partner ( probably Greene ) all season. Last season he played with almost every D-man we have. Hopefully some consistency and trust will develop if he can stay paired with Greene. I will be bummed if Martinez is traded because he's pretty good too, hopefully DL can get something decent for him.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I'm kind of up and down on Muzzin. He really made me pull me my hair out many times during the season, but he made plays that I don't think Martinez could do. I think this contract is fair for him, but it does make me very skeptical for the future for Martinez. If I had a choice I would keep both and have Ellerby start in Manchester, but with the cap the way it is, I have a feeling A-Mart may not be long for LA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad