Post-Game Talk: Kings @ Rangers [MOD WARNING POST 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
So then you understand if the Rangers lose a game like this in an 82 GAME STRETCH of a season, it's not the end of the world, right? People are losing their minds because the Kings were able to score 4 goals and win the game against us, this stuff happens ALL_THE_TIME... I can only imagine if we lose two more in a row, people will be screaming to trade Nash for draft prospects.

I've traveled throughout the entire United States for a season at a time too, so it's not entirely regional. Now, since you have that envisioned in your head, picture what these guys go through on a daily basis - $%#* happens.

Kings were hungrier and the game that we all watched showed that.

Travel aside, many of us were looking at this game as a sort of benchmark game this time of year against the defending ST champs who know how to play desperate and carry that play throughout the playoffs. ..

No team is on every night and this game should be a reminder of how much work lies ahead, but honestly it was disheartening to see AV get exposes again. .. With no answers. ..again... it seems that once you figure out his teams weakness that's it. No adapting. Just lose.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
On another subject--the question asked last night about the only HOF goalie to play for both the Kings and Rangers. And Micheletti and Rosen were absolutely stumped.

Terry Sawchuk actually died during his last season which was with the Rangers--the end result of an off ice fist fight he got into with his own roommate Ron Stewart. Stewart later on would briefly be the Rangers head coach.

I was surprised they were stumped on that one. HoF goalie who plays for the Rangers. There aren't a ton. Giacomin, Worsley, Plante, Rayner, and Sawchuk. I don't believe there's anyone else.

The Kings weren't around for Rayner. Someone up on NHL history should easily know Giacomin and Worsley didn't play for the Kings. Plante and Sawchuk both bounced around. They mentioned Plante, but Sawchuk's name was never brought up.

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
When the Rangers beat the Kings in January, they were a much hotter team. Things were clicking.
Despite the wins this month, the Rangers have not been playing well. They're just finding ways to win. Which is obviously a sign of a good team.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
So glad I paid $150 a ticket to watch that garbage.

That being said, I think that was the worst game the Rangers played all year (save for maybe Kostka-gate against the Islanders) and we only lost by 2 against the defending champs. Yandle was the best player on the ice for the Rangers. That guy makes some of the best plays I've ever seen from the blueline.

Really not worried

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
i said it last night and ill say it again. kevin klein is an important part of this team and they miss him out there. i dont think its a coincidence that this run of poor play (even though they have been winning) started once he got hurt. we need him back

Yes! Guys so important to this team. Especially on defensive end despite adding some goals as well. Really feel when he comes back the defense will settle down perfectly. Not hating on hunwick just saying Klein is way better

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I think our dip in play has a lot to do and coincides with the dip from Nash.

He's our best forward a game breaker and he's dominated teams he's been a mouse for weeks and we've struggled to score because of it.

He's got me worried

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC

He's our best forward a game breaker and he's dominated teams he's been a mouse for weeks and we've struggled to score because of it.

He's got me worried

I'm worried he's nursing something. Seems afraid to get as physical as he did earlier in the season.

Cobra Jack*

When the Rangers beat the Kings in January, they were a much hotter team. Things were clicking.
Despite the wins this month, the Rangers have not been playing well. They're just finding ways to win. Which is obviously a sign of a good team.

Yeah but that was January. This game here, with the Kings fighting for a spot, was more a true test of the Rangers mettle. And the Rangers failed, big time. I don't know if this team has what it takes to go all the way. They might just be a good team but not a cup team.

Florida Ranger

Bring back Torts!
Sep 2, 2008
Wesley Chapel, FL
All you can do is move on to the next game.

You would think they'd be fired up to play the team that beat them last year in the Final, but I think it's really a psychological thing with the fans. If it's like that with the players, that game was in January in LA. They won that game. The Rangers aren't in desperation mode or playoff mode. LA is.

The team will have stinkers. They're fine. They may go in a slump, but when the playoffs come around, the mindset and style of play will change and I'm extremely confident the Rangers will be up for it.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Yes! Guys so important to this team. Especially on defensive end despite adding some goals as well. Really feel when he comes back the defense will settle down perfectly. Not hating on hunwick just saying Klein is way better

He's got me worried

Going to agree with both of these. Nash has gone ice cold, and he looks post-concussion like last year... Maybe he has no confidence, maybe he's scared, I'm really not sure, but I am getting so sick of this **** with him lightening his play around this time of the year. It forces the rest of the team to pick up slack, which is understandable, but that cannot be a nightly thing.

Klein really provides a solid stabilization on the 3rd pairing. AV actually has to play the 3rd pairing like a 3rd pairing with Hunwick on it

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
All you can do is move on to the next game.

You would think they'd be fired up to play the team that beat them last year in the Final, but I think it's really a psychological thing with the fans. If it's like that with the players, that game was in January in LA. They won that game. The Rangers aren't in desperation mode or playoff mode. LA is.

The team will have stinkers. They're fine. They may go in a slump, but when the playoffs come around, the mindset and style of play will change and I'm extremely confident the Rangers will be up for it.

In January they were still in a wildcard spot IIRC. Much different than being 1st in the NHL (as they were last night before the game started).

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yeah but that was January. This game here, with the Kings fighting for a spot, was more a true test of the Rangers mettle. And the Rangers failed, big time. I don't know if this team has what it takes to go all the way. They might just be a good team but not a cup team.

This is nonsense. Its impossible to make that assertion when the game doesn't have equal value for both teams. One team is scratching and clawing to get into the playoffs, the Rangers have a huge lead for the division and games in hand on everyone for the conference/league, they're in a very comfortable position.

Would it have been nice to see them take the game seriously? Sure, but they wouldn't be the first team with a sizable division lead to have a few off games down the stretch, God forbid the guys show that they're actually human.

Florida Ranger

Bring back Torts!
Sep 2, 2008
Wesley Chapel, FL
In January they were still in a wildcard spot IIRC. Much different than being 1st in the NHL (as they were last night before the game started).
Who knows what they're thinking. They won 11 out of the 12 games prior to playing the Kings then. They have been hot ever since that 8 game win streak. They're gonna have crap games whether they're the 8th seed or the Presidents' Trophy frontrunners.

This "slump" started right when he missed a game.
True, but it was neck spasms. He said he might've slept the wrong way... I don't even know what to say to that... lol

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
A "normal" ticket, to a single regular season game costs 150 dollars ?

lol

Can be even more.

I could get tickets in not great seats and some drinks and food and train to the game, I'm easily looking at 250 bucks.

Sometimes I wish I grew up in Florida and was a Panthers or TB fan. You could get season tickets or a good package for the cost of just going to 2 or 3 games here.

Florida Ranger

Bring back Torts!
Sep 2, 2008
Wesley Chapel, FL
Can be even more.

I could get tickets in not great seats and some drinks and food and train to the game, I'm easily looking at 250 bucks.

Sometimes I wish I grew up in Florida and was a Panthers or TB fan. You could get season tickets or a good package for the cost of just going to 2 or 3 games here.

At least the beer at the Garden is cheaper than in Tampa...

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I was surprised they were stumped on that one. HoF goalie who plays for the Rangers. There aren't a ton. Giacomin, Worsley, Plante, Rayner, and Sawchuk. I don't believe there's anyone else.

The Kings weren't around for Rayner. Someone up on NHL history should easily know Giacomin and Worsley didn't play for the Kings. Plante and Sawchuk both bounced around. They mentioned Plante, but Sawchuk's name was never brought up.

I thought it was strange--this is the history of the team they announce for and Sawchuk (though his time with the Rangers was very brief) was one of the greatest goalies of all time--then there was the black eye of his death after a fight with one of his own teammates.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Burn the tape and move on.

They better not.

That tape is a blueprint of how to beat the NYR. They should watch that tape MORE than other teams will.

Two sentiments on this board today:

A) It was one game, they'll be fine.

B) Oh **** the word is out how to beat the NYR. LA did it last yr. Tampa and The Isles know it. We're screwed.

Put me in category B... at least until AV comes up with a counterpunch (which we haven't seen yet)

Night owl

Jan 10, 2011
Norwegian mountains
It seems so long ago, when we where this solid team and beat the Ducks and now we are on this loooong 1. game loosing streak and everything is pitch black, We have no chance in the PO ( but will the Kings even be there? we will....)

I just don't get it, we just beat the hell out of the Ducks, we have the best away record in the NHL, so things can't be all bad or....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad