Post-Game Talk: Kings @ Rangers [MOD WARNING POST 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Today is bizarro world, usually everyone is killing the team and I'm one of the few looking past it, but today is mostly people saying "it's just one game, they wee due". Last night was inexcusable, they completely mailed it in. They already laid an egg against the Hurricanes and the Panthers before then, they were just lucky enough to pull 4 points out. This is turning into a pattern, not good going into the playoffs. There was a huge lack of effort and concentration last night. It's like after Zuccs scored they figured they could coast and nobody hustled and the D-Men didn't own their assignments. It was turnover after turnover and the Kings skated wherever they felt like it. And this was against LA who they could have really drove a nail into their coffin for. So annoying

This type of game was needed. Would you want them to have coasted into the playoffs only to get their butts handed to them in the first round by a team that is actually trying? This is a wake up call for them at the perfect time.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
This type of game was needed. Would you want them to have coasted into the playoffs only to get their butts handed to them in the first round by a team that is actually trying? This is a wake up call for them at the perfect time.

Yeah, I agree with you of course.

And I couldn't care less about the W/L to be honest. But the underlying problem of LAK dominating us infront of both nets is problematic for sure.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
At what point do we give Yandle a larger role against teams that forecheck so well?

We need to utilize his ability to retrieve pucks and get them out of our own zone quickly. Guys like Girardi and Staal end up having stinkers of games against these teams that bring the house forechecking. I'd like to see AV be more reactionary with giving Yandle more time in those games.

Probably once Klein comes back... Rolling Hunwick for 20 minutes a game is less than ideal

trueblue9441

Nov 18, 2006
Bronx, NY
Probably once Klein comes back... Rolling Hunwick for 20 minutes a game is less than ideal

i said it last night and ill say it again. kevin klein is an important part of this team and they miss him out there. i dont think its a coincidence that this run of poor play (even though they have been winning) started once he got hurt. we need him back

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Against 90% of teams who either aren't talented enough and/or don't forecheck aggressively, we're absolutely fine.

Unfortunately, the other 10% of the league (see LA, Tampa, etc) understand our top 3 D aren't very good when pressured deep in their own zone. Plus we don't have a goalie that can play the puck. So they forecheck us hard and give us absolute fits. That's the recipe to beat this team and we've consistently seen it time and again for years now. McD is iffy with the puck when pressured. Staal is below average. Girardi is not very good. Sure, all three are great elsewhere, put playing the puck while pressured is a big weakness for all three.

Tonight's loss wasn't a product of having an off night. It was a product of a talented team taking full advantage of our largest weakness. And that's why tonight's loss is concerning. The blueprint on how to beat this team was on full display.

The good news is very, very few teams can actually do it against us. Just gotta hope we don't face those teams come playoff time.

I tend to agree, when the Rangers do not have time to make their breakouts because of pressure they are not nearly as good. They can not build up speed through the neutral zone and that is where most of their offense comes from, the rush.

They need to adjust some against teams who can force them, the chip off the boards, Torts thing is the most effective in getting the puck out but they do not have a lot of players who can proceed to go in and get the puck back once it's dumped in (if it not dumped directly to the goalie like it was last night for the whole game) Even the bigger or faster guys don't seem to be able to win many board battles, effort or just ability I am not sure.

I'd think they could make up some game plan based on the speed of some of their wings but it seems like LA has the ability to interfere with the players without the puck and not get called, much like Doughty jumping in front of whomever that was last night and making it appears he was just going for the puck in his lane. LA kept a defender back just in case all night long as there was no need for them to have a 5 man press as 3 or 4 was enough to give the Rangers fits.

LA has a bunch of good two way players, they move the puck quickly and the shots are not passed up. And on top of that they take advantage of their opportunities at a greater rate than just about any other team I have seen besides perhaps Tampa.

I don't think it's all doom and gloom, to be honest Talbot was passing to LA last night, McD, Boyle, and Staal were stick checking all night which has to be adjusted against a team like LA. And other than Zucc and a couple others hardly any of the forwards seemed to be sharp.

I have to give LA credit they are a well coached team who has a good roster. They have won cups by being just that. With some adjustment I think the Rangers could give them a better run than they did last year should they meet, but the Rangers best forward, best defenders and best goalie would have to come up pretty huge and last night none of that happened.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Look, LAK really pwns us when it comes to the battles infront of both nets, and not only us more like most teams in the NHL.

But this is problematic. When they put a puck on our net, they have 3 guys hammering away on Talbot. Natrually that upsets us and we want to pay back. I counted the times this game, we manage to get in on the net like that twice, LA just short of 20. When we do, out guys are *****. Think Doughty laying on top of Fast for example.

I remember G1 during the SCFs, like 15 minutes in Norstrom who worked the game for Swedish TV said something like NYR will have no chance to win this series if they cannot push away more to keep the LA players outside the crease. And just as importantly, we are not able to get to the net on the other side. It's like skating into a meat sheild.

We can talk about giveaways, BUT it's a huge misstake to do so. Huge misstake. The big difference between us and LA is that the later can creat offense against us by just putting the puck deep and going after us, while we have to play really really well against their outstanding defense. We will make misstakes, they won't -- because of that. Turnovers is a symptom not the problem.

11-12--the Rangers had a grinding physical 7 game series with the Senators and then another 7 game grinding physical series with the Caps and then went out in 6 games to a more rested New Jersey team that played more of the same grinding and physical game. Torts did that including extremely long playoff games with pretty much 4 defensemen.

12-13--got the Caps again for another grinding physical series and then got beat up in the second round by the Bruins--the largest and meanest team that year.

13-14--so last year--the Flyers were the weakest team we'd faced in the playoffs for a while and with a few exceptions not that physical and the Penguins weren't that tough or physical either and didn't have a lot of depth after the first couple lines. We got into a track meet with the Canadiens. Those 3 series weren't really punishing and we won them all. We lost Stepan and Brassard for a couple games here and there but no really serious injuries. Then we ran into the bigger and stronger Kings who as you point out controlled not only their own goal crease but ours as well.

There are trends to be seen in our recent playoff successes and defeats. One of them is that size and physical play can matter.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Yeah, and it is a bit problematic. Two more things, firstly our man-man defense really enables us to counter attack with speed. When our Ds get to a puck in our end they do so with a lot of speed, they can easily get 15 feets within a sec or two and that open things up for us when we make our first pass. If you look at like Philly or NJ playing or a team like that, when a D on their team gets the puck he aint getting more than 6 feets before he makes a pass. Its real easy for a forechecker to pick the passing lanes.

But, a bunch of wingers on LA makes our Ds look like they really are running around and they get possession on our guys real well. Its not unusual at all that we have one D on the right side, then THREE black and white players and then two of our guys on the back of two of their forwards. And they get these situations just by putting the puck on the net, its so easy for them.

Secondly, we have decent size on our blueline, we just must get nastier infront of our net. If the team sat down and watched this game on video and looked at this, and especially compared to how it looks at the other end, a lot of players would have some WTF moments. LAK don't take penalties infront of their end, and they are really manhandling our forwards. Our D's let their guys stand and poke 5-10 times on the glove and pads of Talbot 4-5 times per period.

It was pretty depressing watching L.A.s fwds pin us down and drive right in front of the net... shift after shift.

The NYR Defense were extremely passive. Blast frickin Gaborik... knock Carter on his @ss!... sickening to watch.

Our forwards do not get 2nd chances on Quick

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
Surprised at some of the responses. I hope we can still appreciate and recognize what a phenomenal season this team is having, as well as the circumstances surrounding the game. We entered the game locked in a playoff spot, atop the league with games in hand, going against a recent two time Cup winner who is fighting for their lives just to make the playoffs. It also wouldn't shock me if the NYR were a tad over-confident and took the foot off the gas a bit after the somewhat easy win they had against the Ducks, where everything they threw at the net seemed to elude Anaheim's goalies.

Not slightly worried and still feel when crunch time hits, we have an exceedingly difficult team to beat in a 7 game series.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Four things:

1) This team had no spark last night. Glass was signed for three years to be able to handle the tough guy/enforcer/spark plug role. I get it, he's a great teammate, but when this team looks completely lifeless, at least go out there and try to stir some **** up. It's the one thing you can do properly.

2) The footage from this game is a blueprint for exactly how they cannot play hockey and be successful in the playoffs. They applied no pressure at the blue line in the defensive zone and let LA just walk in and set it up so they could bombard Talbot from the point. Need to tighten up in the neutral zone and be tougher at letting opponents in our zone.

3) Look at the highlights and watch how LA was positioned to breakout of their defensive zone. Everyone was in position from a quick outlet pass that could get them up ice quickly. Even dinosaurs like Willie Mitchell and Robyn Regehr were successful in this area, so Girardi, Staal, and Klein have no excuses.

4) Regarding points 2 and 3, AV really needs to learn how to create a gameplan to play teams that forecheck us hard and throw everything on net. Teams like Tampa, Isles, and Kings give us fits because they make us play into our weaknesses. There's still time to figure it out, so let's hope he has an alternative gameplan for the playoffs.

OrbitalDynamics

#Unsurprised
May 22, 2008
Stalag Luft JFK
Four things:

4) Regarding points 2 and 3, AV really needs to learn how to create a gameplan to play teams that forecheck us hard and throw everything on net. Teams like Tampa, Isles, and Kings give us fits because they make us play into our weaknesses. There's still time to figure it out, so let's hope he has an alternative gameplan for the playoffs.

AV adapts to nothing in game.Canucks fans warned of this when he was announced as the coach.

He makes no in game adjustments, keeps flinging poo at the wall..err sending Glass over the boards and hopes for the best.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Surprised at some of the responses. I hope we can still appreciate and recognize what a phenomenal season this team is having, as well as the circumstances surrounding the game. We entered the game locked in a playoff spot, atop the league with games in hand, going against a recent two time Cup winner who is fighting for their lives just to make the playoffs. It also wouldn't shock me if the NYR were a tad over-confident and took the foot off the gas a bit after the somewhat easy win they had against the Ducks, where everything they threw at the net seemed to elude Anaheim's goalies.

Not slightly worried and still feel when crunch time hits, we have an exceedingly difficult team to beat in a 7 game series.

I think that is the way to look at it. If for some reason we lose in the first round there are always going to be detractors who will say that we over achieved during the regular season and that a 7 game series is a better sample size of this teams talent than 82 games.

I am proud of this team. They have been fun to watch. They just played an awful game. Honestly though, how many teams with LA's desperation level have we had to play lately? If my memory serves me right we have been playing teams that are either already out of the playoffs or teams that have already locked up a spot. Neither of which are playing with much desperation at this point.

This game in itself is not a measuring stick for us. We have Ottawa, Boston and Minnesota up next. Much like LA, all playing with some desperation and fighting for a PO spot. If we play against those teams like we did against LA, not only will we lose all 3 games but there will be serious cause for concern. If we bounce back and play well then we are fine.

Every team has a kryptonite. We have owned the Flyers for many years. Remember in 02-03/03-04 (can't remember which season) we went 6-0 vs. the Islanders? They were a much better team but for some reason we owned them. It happens. LA just happens to own us. Although, with a healthy NYR and Lundqvist in net I wouldn't think twice about putting my money on us in a 7 game series.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
Kings are already in playoff form because they have to be. Rangers are sitting comfy atop the Metro, which is all but locked up. I can see why some would be concerned and nervous, because of Finals PTSD, but this is not playoff hockey from the Rangers. But like many others I'm pretty worried about Nash....

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Due for a stinker. Just don't like the way this went at all. Reminded me of the finals last year. Outplayed start to finish. The bigger and heavier team out worked us on the boards and consistently pushed us off the puck. We got nothing going with any real sustainability. Disappointing really

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
I wonder here if anyone has ever played travel hockey, and they understand the ups and downs of hockey; elongated schedules, a lot of travelling, etc. A lot of people on here also are panicking because we lost to a solid Kings team (even though they're fighting for a playoff spot).

Sutter is a VERY good coach, and they have great two way players who are ALL disciplined. This team won against the Devils and there's a good chance they do get the 7th/8th seed out West, so they were EXTREMELY desperate - more desperate than the Rangers which makes sense - Kings NEED to win games.

Only thing I would be worried about is having a healthy roster when rolling into the first round, but we should be more than fine.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Kings are already in playoff form because they have to be. Rangers are sitting comfy atop the Metro, which is all but locked up. I can see why some would be concerned and nervous, because of Finals PTSD, but this is not playoff hockey from the Rangers. But like many others I'm pretty worried about Nash....

Nash is the only thing that does worry me right now.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
AV adapts to nothing in game.Canucks fans warned of this when he was announced as the coach.

He makes no in game adjustments, keeps flinging poo at the wall..err sending Glass over the boards and hopes for the best.

This is what scares me the most. I've seen zero response from AV in games that are going downhill. They just go down with the ship...

Why does he bother ever pulling the Goalie in games when we're down late? They have no idea how to play effectively in this situation.

I like AV a lot and think he has done a vg job here.

Just seems like he is unable address enduring issues. ..

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I wonder here if anyone has ever played travel hockey, and they understand the ups and downs of hockey; elongated schedules, a lot of travelling, etc. A lot of people on here also are panicking because we lost to a solid Kings team (even though they're fighting for a playoff spot).

Nope, nobody here has ever played travel hockey. Just you.

Hilarious, you trying to equate travel youth hockey, which is mostly regional travelling and weekend only games, with an NHL schedule. I played travel up through juniors and college and I wouldn't make that comparison.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Nope, nobody here has ever played travel hockey. Just you.

Hilarious, you trying to equate travel youth hockey, which is mostly regional travelling and weekend only games, with an NHL schedule. I played travel up through juniors and college and I wouldn't make that comparison.

So then you understand if the Rangers lose a game like this in an 82 GAME STRETCH of a season, it's not the end of the world, right? People are losing their minds because the Kings were able to score 4 goals and win the game against us, this stuff happens ALL_THE_TIME... I can only imagine if we lose two more in a row, people will be screaming to trade Nash for draft prospects.

I've traveled throughout the entire United States for a season at a time too, so it's not entirely regional. Now, since you have that envisioned in your head, picture what these guys go through on a daily basis - $%#* happens.

Kings were hungrier and the game that we all watched showed that.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
it is a bad game. i am sure we will have a few more before our season ends. However our season still ends with everyone on the rangers lifting the cup over their head and kissing it. #dealwithit

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It's one game.

And too early to get all doom and gloom.

Boyle kind of sucked in this one by the way. Just saying. As I said above too early. We're not playing for the cup until next month.

Here--back in late 1979 the Soviet Union's upcoming Olympic team with Makarov, Larionov, Krutov, Fetisov, Kasatonov, Tretiak etc. etc. and etc. faced off against Herb Brooks college kids in the last prelude to the Olympics and soundly thrashed them and there was no way in the world that anyone who watched that debacle would ever believe that a month or so later the US team even though kind of badly outplayed would actually manage to squeak out the victory when it actually mattered. So....history can be a *****. Pretty soon we'll look back at this year's history.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
On another subject--the question asked last night about the only HOF goalie to play for both the Kings and Rangers. And Micheletti and Rosen were absolutely stumped.

Terry Sawchuk actually died during his last season which was with the Rangers--the end result of an off ice fist fight he got into with his own roommate Ron Stewart. Stewart later on would briefly be the Rangers head coach.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
There are 4 reasons why a good team loses a game.

A.) They don't have "it," which any performer should be able to sympathize with. In a competitive situation, it leads to the opponent outplaying them, in terms of execution. Hard to define, but not every player or every team can manage to play their best every single game, just like not every musician or band is their best every show.
B.) They don't put in the effort.
C.) The teams were equal and it came down to bounces
D.) Goaltender on fire

C and D happen sometimes. B is rare overall, although there were a few games recently where, if they had actually lost, B would be the answer. A is the most common reason for the Rangers few losses since December and A is the answer to why they lost last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad