Post-Game Talk: Kings @ Rangers [MOD WARNING POST 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
The concerning thing about this is that our injured players (St. Louis, Klein, and Lundqvist) aren't going to solve this issue.

Exactly because its for damn sure msl won't help with puck possession in offensive zone. Klein may help a little on defensive end

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
It's isn't just one bad game. The Rangers will be out in 4-5 games if they have to play against either the Kings or the Bruins. So better hope both those teams don't make it.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I think the Isles and Tampa would be the only tough ones, and if the Rangers get first seed in the East then it's likely they only meet one of them.

I know we tend to forget about Montreal and I can kinda understand why. They rely on Price a lot. However being a Rangers fan I've seen Lundqvist steal games and series. No reason why Price cant. Beware of the hot goaltender is the way I see it.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We really do need our 4th line back. It goes from a huge strength to a glaring weakness depending on whether Glass is in.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
I swear to god if Sheppard is even benched one ****ing game for Glass I'm going to flip a ****.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I look at it this way -- this game was more the Kings being absolutely perfect than the Rangers playing poorly. They were in control for a brief period and the Kings then made the most of their chances.

Now, those turnovers were horrid, but pat of it was the Kings being full-court press mode every shift in every zone.

What might hurt the Kings this year is that they've been fighting and clawing for so long, they might be spent. I think the Blues or Nashville or Anaheim will simply outlast them in the 1st round.

The Rangers at a minimum will have home ice through the 1st two rounds. That'll give them the chance to shorten shifts and rest some people.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
It's isn't just one bad game. The Rangers will be out in 4-5 games if they have to play against either the Kings or the Bruins. So better hope both those teams don't make it.

Bruins are just about done. Sens are hot and Bruins just lost Hamilton.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Two teams not making the playoffs, but I'll keep that in mind.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Scratching Glass might
Maybe they'll find Jimmy Hoffa too.

I guess all fanbases really do complain alike
Let me guess, every backup goalie is "Yada yada Hasek" against the Kings too? lirl

I swear to god if Sheppard is even benched one ****ing game for Glass I'm going to flip a ****.
I see you're now in the first of five stages of the Vigneault-Glass model for the grieving process.

Last edited:

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Same old story - the Rangers struggle against teams that can clog up the neutral zone and the middle of the ice, forecheck hard and pressure the puckcarrier, and cycle the puck effectively. The subpar effort only made matters worse. Add in the atrocious PP and miscues on defense, and it was like reliving the finals.

Nash is in playoff/scared-he's-going-to-get-a-concussion mode, Stepan reverted back to his mediocre play after a strong showing on Sunday, and McDonagh has been unimpressive for most of the season. We need a lot more from all 3 of those players in the postseason if we want to return to the finals.

Also, I know AV doesn't believe in calling timeouts to change momentum, but his timeout usage is just bizarre.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
At what point do we give Yandle a larger role against teams that forecheck so well?

We need to utilize his ability to retrieve pucks and get them out of our own zone quickly. Guys like Girardi and Staal end up having stinkers of games against these teams that bring the house forechecking. I'd like to see AV be more reactionary with giving Yandle more time in those games.

Bee Sheriff

Bad Boy Postingâ„¢
Nov 9, 2013
Tucson
I know we tend to forget about Montreal and I can kinda understand why. They rely on Price a lot. However being a Rangers fan I've seen Lundqvist steal games and series. No reason why Price cant. Beware of the hot goaltender is the way I see it.

But do you think Price can steal 4 out 7 versus the Rangers? Over Lundqvist at that?

But it's true! The 82 Isles were an OT goal away from being knocked out by the Rangers. The 79 Canadiens had to battle the Bruins. The greatest teams ever had a tough time winning their cups! :nod:

True! can't argue history :nod:

Thunderhead

May 15, 2012
Raleigh NC
Against 90% of teams who either aren't talented enough and/or don't forecheck aggressively, we're absolutely fine.

Unfortunately, the other 10% of the league (see LA, Tampa, etc) understand our top 3 D aren't very good when pressured deep in their own zone. Plus we don't have a goalie that can play the puck. So they forecheck us hard and give us absolute fits. That's the recipe to beat this team and we've consistently seen it time and again for years now. McD is iffy with the puck when pressured. Staal is below average. Girardi is not very good. Sure, all three are great elsewhere, put playing the puck while pressured is a big weakness for all three.

Tonight's loss wasn't a product of having an off night. It was a product of a talented team taking full advantage of our largest weakness. And that's why tonight's loss is concerning. The blueprint on how to beat this team was on full display.

The good news is very, very few teams can actually do it against us. Just gotta hope we don't face those teams come playoff time.

Best post on this game so far .

MillerTime79

Jun 28, 2007
You've apparently been a Rangers fan for 23 years and still don't know the rules of faceoffs?

Brass took the faceoff, the winger jumped the gun and Brass was kicked out as per, you know, the rules. Stepan then came in and came back out immediately so Brass could come back in when he had been kicked out. The ref then stopped him from doing this, as per, you know, the rules

The players were wasting the time, not the linesman

You're wrong. The linesman kicked out Brassard, then got confused and told Stepan to get out, making Brassard come back in. The other refs then blew their whistles and made him realize the mistake, and Stepan switched back in. Next time you feel like attacking another poster about a benign comment and a pointless play, at least get your facts straight.

Last edited by a moderator:

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
If we have to face the kings again this playoffs I consider it 100% talbots fault. (yes I know the team sucked too after he gave away two goals)

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO

I think one (of the many) things that hurt us tonight was that our answer for a big, strong, neutral-zone-clogging team like the Kings is our speed players, and they were invisible tonight. Hagelin and Kreider were non factors. When this team is on, I think they can pull it off against the Kings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad