Prospect Info: Kings Prospects in the CHL/College Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Turcotte's been struggling but last night had an assist and +2 in a win, 7/14 on faceoffs, 2nd most faceoffs on team.

That team is not good, but he's not showing the kind of growth that would make me want him to turn pro next year.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Turcotte's been struggling but last night had an assist and +2 in a win, 7/14 on faceoffs, 2nd most faceoffs on team.

That team is not good, but he's not showing the kind of growth that would make me want him to turn pro next year.

I wouldn't mind if he stayed put, especially if Caufield did. It's a young group overall, and we know Blake will be comfortable with him spending another season with Granato.

Might come down to if he wants to focus on just hockey.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Going from being one of the big dawgs on a team full of ringers to a freshman on an average college team is a big step. I hope Turcotte doesn’t just decide to blindly follow Caulfield if his buddy decides to turn pro in the spring.

He should get down to El Segundo the week after his last class and put in the work with the training staff until August. An off-season of pro training and physical maturity will go a long way to putting him in a position to succeed as a sophomore.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
1/12 results:

Kitchener lost 5-4 in OT, Ingham stopped 33/38.
Owen Sound lost 7-4, Dudas was scoreless and -2.
London won 7-1, Phillips was scoreless and even.
Peterborough lost 6-4, Thomas had a Goal(16), 3 Assists(33) and +2.
Moncton won 4-1, Spence had an Assist(25) and +1.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
always find it harder to get a read on NDP/College guys. My general view is leave them there until they have a season where they blow it up, like Eichel his freshman year. If they never do that, well, you still probably have a good NHL player but there's absolutely no rush with a guy like Turcotte.
No certainly not.

I would like to point out that if he can find his scoring touch again, in a more dominating fashion, he would have a great rookie season.

You wont find too many 18 year olds with 16 points after 18 games in college the last few years.

Last edited:

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
1/15 results:

Owen Sound won 4-1, Dudas was scoreless and -1.

1/17 (friday) games:

Hamilton (Kaliyev) @ Kingston
Owen Sound (Dudas) @ Guelph
North Bay @ Kitchener (Ingham)
Sudbury @ London (Phillips)
Saint John @ Moncton (Spence)
Portland @ Spokane (Parik)

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Watching Badgers vs. Michigan State. Once again think Turcotte looks pretty good. Hasn't scored yet, but has played decrntly. Think it's hilarious at how Caufield consistently headlines the game despite being closer to mediocre than good.

But but he has all the shots. LOL. Totally Agree.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
But but he has all the shots. LOL. Totally Agree.

Most maddening is Turcotte set him up twice in the same shift. Nothing said about the great plays he made, just how Caufield hesitated on one shot and how close his other attempt was.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Honestly maybe the only thing I don't like about Turcotte is, like Kopitar, he's too unselfish. Maybe especially because they always put him with a sniper. Hopefully that works well with Artie Party, but I feel like the dude will never take a shot with Caufield around.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
Honestly maybe the only thing I don't like about Turcotte is, like Kopitar, he's too unselfish. Maybe especially because they always put him with a sniper. Hopefully that works well with Artie Party, but I feel like the dude will never take a shot with Caufield around.

I've watched a few of the games and I noticed this too. In their last game vs Ohio, Turcotte created a lot of chances but always passed it to Caufield it seemed. It's like he only has eyes for Cole.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
This is where the coaching has to be looked at. If the game plan is ‘get it to Cole’ you can see why it’s happening. Based mostly on what I’m reading Turcotte seems to be less aggressive from a shooting standpoint than when he arrived at college. It could be for many reasons of course but it’s a (perceived) change in his game that bothers me. He’s a coachable player and if he’s getting told to shoot more I think he’s doing it. The team there doesn’t seem that great either.

It has to play into the debate on what he does next year as it doesn’t sound to me that he’s developed as well as he should have this year. We can’t just say ‘Granato is there, so no problem’, because right now Turcotte staying in college doesn’t excite me. Purely because right now the results don’t seem to be there. Maybe I am wrong, I certainly hope so.

Reactions: crassbonanza

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
One factor which has played into things, and it's a little nuanced with interviews with John Hoven he's posted, is one of the aspects Turcotte is learning to overcome is putting less pressure on himself when he struggles.

It sounds like he's just getting in his head at this point. He did wonderfully the first month+ with 1.5 points-per-game pace. Since mid-November, I think he has 1 point in nine games (on my phone and too lazy to check). He's had the 2 points in 5 WJC games during that streak.

Plus, Wisconsin and Team USA have struggled.

Again, I'm sure the points will come. The effort is there, and he's still making subtle plays. He's definitely doing a lot less "just throw it at the net" shots, which is both good and bad. He's preparing himself for higher quality goaltending, but the quantity of chances he creates are diminishing as he becomes more selective.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
One factor which has played into things, and it's a little nuanced with interviews with John Hoven he's posted, is one of the aspects Turcotte is learning to overcome is putting less pressure on himself when he struggles.

It sounds like he's just getting in his head at this point. He did wonderfully the first month+ with 1.5 points-per-game pace. Since mid-November, I think he has 1 point in nine games (on my phone and too lazy to check). He's had the 2 points in 5 WJC games during that streak.

Plus, Wisconsin and Team USA have struggled.

Again, I'm sure the points will come. The effort is there, and he's still making subtle plays. He's definitely doing a lot less "just throw it at the net" shots, which is both good and bad. He's preparing himself for higher quality goaltending, but the quantity of chances he creates are diminishing as he becomes more selective.
Thanks, I always find your perspective interesting and helpful.:thumbu:

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
If Zegras ends up the better NHL’er vs Turcotte, it will be tough to justify the pick.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
1/17 results:

Owen Sound won 4-1, Dudas had an Assist(22) and +2.
Kitchener won 9-2, Ingham DNP.
London won 4-1, Phillips was scoreless and even.
Hamilton - Kingston was PPD
Moncton won 4-3, Spence had an Assist(26) and +1.
Spokane lost 5-3, Parik stopped 32/36.

1/18 games:

Hamilton (Kaliyev) @ Ottawa
Kitchener (Ingham) @ Guelph
Flint @ Peterborough (Thomas)
Oshawa @ Owen Sound (Dudas)
Moncton (Spence) @ Saint John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad