Pre-Game Talk: kings @ Oilers Nov 16, 8pm

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I don't understand these never-ending comments about the start time. We get it, it sucks for you personally and your specific life. But the TV companies & ad agencies have done the research and run the numbers; this is how you get the most people watching. Give it a f***ing rest.

*Laughs in Pacific Time Zone

8.20 PM puck drop is ridiculous on a weeknight. We get the late time slot so the softies down east get their 7 PM puck drop for the Leafs. If you look at the Leafs schedule nearly all their games, home and away, start at 7 PM Eastern. The league coddles the Leafs and their fans, the teams out west get f***ed over.

NashtoNowitzki

Jan 8, 2019

8.20 PM puck drop is ridiculous on a weeknight. We get the late time slot so the softies down east get their 7 PM puck drop for the Leafs. If you look at the Leafs schedule nearly all their games, home and away, start at 7 PM Eastern. The league coddles the Leafs and their fans, the teams out west get f***ed over.

Yes, life isn't fair and the NHL is a business. We all get it, ok? It's understood. Every goddamn thread is whining about it. There is 100 million people on the west coast, 200 million on the east coast, and in-between is nothing but rocks and coyotes. It's just not a practical business move. Not starting games in the best coastal time windows is professional malpractice. MOVE. ALONG.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Yes, life isn't fair and the NHL is a business. We all get it, ok? It's understood. Every goddamn thread is whining about it. There is 100 million people on the west coast, 200 million on the east coast, and in-between is nothing but rocks and coyotes. It's just not a practical business move. Not starting games in the best coastal time windows is professional malpractice. MOVE. ALONG.

NO. I. WONT. (please see my user name) :nod:

Every goddam thread is whining about it because it is an insane yo-yo of a schedule I can say Ive never seen the likes of before. It shows no respect to our team or city.

The team is called the Edmonton Oilers where the majority of their fans are in Edmonton. We like to watch our games at reasonable times and not the yo-yo of a schedule we get now.

So go jump in the ocean of your choice while us rock dwellers whine and cry over our schedule. :laugh:

Last edited:

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
My prediction for this game is unfortunately a shit, lazy, stupid start that we possibly recover from, but not guaranteed.

It has all the makings of a lazy Oiler game. A win the game prior. Three days off between games. Rookie party combined with an extended stay in Florida. Opponent that played like shit in the game prior. An important game to win (usually these are our worst efforts at this time of year).

To be honest I'm a little frustrated that the team used Florida as a holiday opportunity for the players right before two massive divisional games. Rookie party is fine, but there's no reason to stay there an extra day on Sunday. Team management should know better with this group by now that this is an unnecessary risk.

Hope I'm wrong, but I've seen this movie before.
You forgot the backup goaltender that suddenly impersonates a Vezina candidate.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018

....stapled....

Also - Woody and Holland are absolutely failing Holloway at this point. Malone should be brought up to replace Shore at 4C and get Holloways 5 minutes of ice time, so Holloway can get 20 minutes in Bako.

Oilers again working hard to f*** up their prospects.

They never learn do they.

I don't like Puljujarvi stapled to McDavid and continuing to neutralize his 5v5 offence. How long does it take Woodcroft to learn that the Puljujarvi-McDavid and Yamamoto-Draisaitl parings do nothing but help the other team to neutralize our two best players? Of course, I'll say this and Jesse scores two goals tomorrow night!

Also, I thought the plan for Holloway was to either spend meaningful time in the top 9 or go to Bakersfield to play big minutes? Holland and Woodcroft must be on different pages with that one.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
It's for the SN Wednesday Night Hockey doubleheader. So we get the BS late game.

Zero chance the royalty who live out east will stand to watch a hockey game starting at 6PM.

Precisely. Wednesday's are double header night so we'll always be the 8PM start if it's going National. On Monday's they'll push to 6PM Mountain for Monday Night Hockey as they like getting a national prime time for all which is why the Pittsburgh game was a 6PM start and may have been why LA Calgary was early yesterday.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

....stapled....

Also - Woody and Holland are absolutely failing Holloway at this point. Malone should be brought up to replace Shore at 4C and get Holloways 5 minutes of ice time, so Holloway can get 20 minutes in Bako.

It's funny seeing people whine (prematurely) about the recent drafting and we have Holloway playing 5 minutes on the 4th line when the org said he wouldn't be.

They've also been failing Broberg by trying to force him onto the team, they failed Bouchard by having him sit half a developmental year and fans wonder why he's still struggling (hmmm!!?), and fans want to rush Bourgault (I'm guilty of this).

Never understood why people want to make final judgments on prospects less than 5 years after they've been drafted, particularly D men, particularly when we have a poster boy for how long it can take D to develop that was thrown to the wolves by his drafting team and they benefited zilch from due to that (Ceci).

Broberg, Bouchard, Holloway, Lavoie, Savoie etc are all busts because they aren't already impact players while others drafted around them appear to be (many of them with their own flawed / incomplete games at the NHL level, yes, even Zegras).

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Holloway is likely on his way to Bakersfield once Benson is ready to go. He’s making some costly mistakes and can’t be trusted in the top 6 at this moment. he had a rough start getting lit up and missing time, get him back to Bako playing big minutes and build some confidence.

Foegele has looked ok so far on that second line but If he can’t keep it up I also wouldn’t mind Janmark getting a look on the second line. He was a good soldier and went down to Bako after signing as a ufa when the team couldn’t start with him on the roster for cap reasons. He’s one of the most experienced of the options and has shown in the past that he can produce in bursts. He’s likely motivated after being the one to start in the A, put him next to Drai and see if he can put a little streak together.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Stop me if you've heard this story before but; the Oilers are top 10 in expected goals for, but an abysmal 31 out of 32 teams in expected goals against- only Montreal, with 4 dmen 21 and under on their team, is behind us. If we improve our xGA to even middle of the pack, we should win a lot more games.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
You forgot the backup goaltender that suddenly impersonates a Vezina candidate.

Or my personal favorite - "they had so many grade A chances, but just snakebit!" as if pure dumb luck dictates being able to convert quality scoring chances at an acceptable rate.

Reactions: Duke74

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006

....stapled....

Garbage the way they are treating Holloway. Makes a mistake and gets benched and moved down to 4th line. Send him to Bakersfield already but keep putting JP on the top line.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
For those posters that said we've had a tough schedule so far, and it should lighten up now, here's a dose of reality for you.

Los Angeles, Las Vegas, New Jersey, the New York Islanders and Rangers up next (combined record 53-24-4)

• Wow

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
For those posters that said we've had a tough schedule so far, and it should lighten up now, here's a dose of reality for you.

Los Angeles, Las Vegas, New Jersey, the New York Islanders and Rangers up next (combined record 53-24-4)

Yikes. Critical set of games.
I want revenge on Jersey badly. Those 2 points were just pissed away in 7 seconds, still stings for me.

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
I don't understand these never-ending comments about the start time. We get it, it sucks for you personally and your specific life. But the TV companies & ad agencies have done the research and run the numbers; this is how you get the most people watching. Give it a f***ing rest.

*Laughs in Pacific Time Zone
I agree with this

Reactions: Harry Curry

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Using last years results it has been and will be up to about Game 34.

Using this years results however, our schedule doesn't appear bad but doesn't consider that many of the teams were scorching hot when we played them before hitting a wall or shitting the bed.

Pittsburgh (4-0-1 before 2-6-2 since)
St. Louis (3-0 before 3-8 since)
Chicago (4-2 before 2-3-3)
Calgary (5-1 before 2-5-2 since)
Dallas (7-3-1 before 1-2 since)

Even Buffalo was over .500 before playing us then fell quickly a couple games later.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Using last years results it has been and will be up to about Game 34.

Using this years results however, our schedule doesn't appear bad but doesn't consider that many of the teams were scorching hot when we played them before hitting a wall or shitting the bed.

Pittsburgh (4-0-1 before 2-6-2 since)
St. Louis (3-0 before 3-8 since)
Chicago (4-2 before 2-3-3)
Calgary (5-1 before 2-5-2 since)
Dallas (7-3-1 before 1-2 since)

Even Buffalo was over .500 before playing us then fell quickly a couple games later.
They were hot coming in, but were due for a drop down to where they should be, and we were the ones that got them started on their voyage to mediocrity.:D

Honestly. I feel like we were mostly finding our groove overall until that sequence.
Yup, if you could pinpoint one part of the last many games when we really started to struggle and become inconsistent, that could arguably have been the moment. Beat the Devils in their own building, and do it with authority, and it will stop stinging so much.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
They were hot coming in, but were due for a drop down to where they should be, and we were the ones that got them started on their voyage to mediocrity.:D

Yup, if you could pinpoint one part of the last many games when we really started to struggle and become inconsistent, that could arguably have been the moment. Beat the Devils in their own building, and do it with authority, and it will stop stinging so much.

Should have been the case with Jersey as well, but then the 3rd period collapse, and now they've parlayed it into a megastreak while Edmonton has dithered away the last 5 games.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I was thinking of going to this game, but home 8pm starts on a weekday blow. You're not home until midnight at the very best and I usually am not asleep until 1 or 2 after that.

So, the opposite of what everyone else was complaining about?

I agree though. Puck probably wont drop until midnight in NFLD. Terrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad