Pre-Game Talk: kings @ Oilers Nov 16, 8pm

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Pretty important game.

Interested to see how the Oilers do against the pacific this year. THey were pretty good last year. Hopefully this game is a step further in the right direction.

Reactions: Oilhawks

rickysusedsht

Feb 25, 2015
Home of your Prince Albert Raiders
Agreed I think you have to start Skinner in this one as well, he has no doubt been the better goalie thus far. I also think that the trouble LA gave us last year and the tendency to start out at home flat , Skinner always seems ready to go from puck drop. If soup has another game like the Washington game it will be disaster for his confidence right now.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Does Oilers + have practice footage as well as shower scenes?

If there were shower scenes I am pretty sure the ladies would be subscribing en masse and Katz would have enough money to gold plate every toilet seat in Rogers.

Draft Kings and Bet360 would allow bets and parlays on things like "does the carpet match the drapes", "who drops the soap first" and "water usage/60".

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Must win games territory in order to maintain pace with the division. Need to get back to 15-10

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Yamamoto LTIRetirement confirmed

That sucks. But not surprising. Yamo keeps getting creamed out there, and it was apparent that this would happen to his type of game when we drafted him.

The Kgretzky drafting era’s promise is slowly whittling away.

• Love
Reactions: Drivesaitl

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Here we go. “Must win”.

Edit : I guess if we want to keep within sniffing distance of Vegas we need to win.
I'm moreso looking toward getting to 95 points. We need to win about 45 games, given we only have about 6 OTL per year. That's a 36-24-6 record (beyond this point) which is 0.591 p%, slightly higher than where we are now. Going 6-3 over the next 9 games puts us back to 0.600.

I didn't expect WPG to be as good as they are and even if they fall back I'm not sure I trust the Pacific to get more than one WC, so we need to aim to be in the top 3. LA is one up right now even if we win our game in hand. I know it sounds like a bit of a meme but I'm of the mind that we have must win games throughout the season, not just Feb and beyond.

Reactions: saucesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think that content is only on Flames +.
looks like I missed something or some meme out there. Not that I would want to be seeing it or Oilers plus anytime soon.

Must win games territory in order to maintain pace with the division. Need to get back to 15-10
Don't really see this. I think its Vegas division at this point and with the Knights kind of being back to what was expected of them . They had an odd season last season.

Kings are improved but not unsurmountable. Seattle probably around a WC club. Its looking more and more like Vegas first and Oilers probably 2nd, maybe 3rd. It doesn't mean much anyway where you place.

Seattle shouldn't be that hard to pass.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
looks like I missed something or some meme out there. Not that I would want to be seeing it or Oilers plus anytime soon.

Don't really see this. I think its Vegas division at this point and with the Knights kind of being back to what was expected of them . They had an odd season last season.

Kings are improved but not unsurmountable. Seattle probably around a WC club. Its looking more and more like Vegas first and Oilers probably 2nd, maybe 3rd. It doesn't mean much anyway where you place.

Seattle shouldn't be that hard to pass.
That's fair. I'm not too worried about winning the division, but I do worry that if SEA drops off it's not just them we have to pass. I enjoy meming about Huberdeau as much as the rest of the board, but I don't expect CGY to be clipping along at 0.500 forever. While it's possible that the Preds and Blues have completely fallen off, I also don't want to bet on them sleep walking for too much longer either.

It's a point in our favour that we are above 0.500 with the theoretical low end of Campbell and a hard schedule, so the assumption would be that as the schedule gets easier our record should improve. I just get uncomfortable with us sitting near 0.500 for too long, it's a long season but all the games matter. The only reason we could make the playoffs last year despite our laughable play that got Tippet fired, was because of our start. If we end up at 20-17, there is no buffer for a shit month. I would much rather the team just come out and assert themselves against our divisional teams.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Just glancing at the Pacific division standings... Wow, our division is looking weak this season!

Vegas is hot right now but will regress. L.A. is off to a nice start, but I think they're likely playing a bit over their heads at the moment. I think we all agree Seattle will regress, though at least they're improving. The Flames could go either way; they haven't found that elusive new identity yet with 2/3 their top line gone. Right now, they're finding ways to lose. San Jose, Vancouver, and Anaheim all blow.

I think Vancouver could improve at some point, after about mid-season (kind of similar to last year), but man, their defence is porous. I do not see San Jose or Anaheim really going anywhere (Anaheim probably last overall).

Vegas I don't see enough to have any opinion. They seem competitive, for sure.

L.A. is a good team, I think, and well coached. I think in the end we'll see a similar finish to last year, where Edmonton will finish a bit ahead of them.

Calgary? Could go either way, but not looking too good at the moment.

So, all the Oilers have to do to make the playoffs with room to spare (i.e., better than wildcard) is finish in 3rd in the Pacific. As questionable as the Oilers' defence and goaltending (well, Campbell so far) have been, does anyone foresee them not finishing in 3rd? I can't really see it, unless Connor or Leon breaks a leg or something.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
WE play a bunch of compressed games and back to back and then we play an afternoon game on Saturday and don't play another game until Wednesday EVENING, also being in MST. So that theres 100hrs between games... More than 4 days.

I might even have to watch TV programming... Lets see what kind of dreck is on.

Reactions: Mez and Oilhawks

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
In regards to the standings:

I think Vegas has pretty much locked up first at this point. They have had a hot start. Butter soft schedule but they are winning the games they are supposed to.

I think Kings will make the playoffs. Not sure if its #2, #3 or WC but that team is relentless. Maybe not the best team but they dont quit. They are pretty clutch at battling back. Only thing that I think could sewer them is goaltending. Quick is hot and cold and Peterson is meh.

Have to think the Flames will still make the playoffs. Sutters too good of a coach not to. I dont see them doing much in the playoffs but I cant see them not making it. Team would pretty much have to give up on Sutter in order to not make it.

I see Seattle regressing. I think their record is better than what they are. That being said, they are getting decent goaltending instead of atrocious goaltending so they probably werent as bad as they were last year. Probably a bubble WC team at best, but the longer they stay in the hunt, the better off they are.

As much as people think the Pacific is weak, it looks like the Central is that much weaker. That being said I think Minnesota will continue to claw themselves upwards. Winnipeg is kind of the wildcard at the moment. I suspect they will drop but when you have Hellebuyck, theres always a chance that they make the playoffs. Unfortunately (for them) Rittch is their back up so Hellebuyck is going to have to play a lot of games. Not sure why he still keeps getting contracts. I dont think Nashville is going to make it. St. Louis doesnt seem like the same team but I wouldnt count them out yet.

I think the Oilers will make the playoffs. Likely #2 or #3 but they are in tough. Team needs to start games better, play better team defense, play harder and need better goaltending out of Campbell. All should be possible. Team doesnt inspire confidence at times though. They are a roller coaster.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad