Pre-Game Talk: kings @ Oilers Nov 16, 8pm

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
In regards to the standings:

I think Vegas has pretty much locked up first at this point. They have had a hot start. Butter soft schedule but they are winning the games they are supposed to.

I think Kings will make the playoffs. Not sure if its #2, #3 or WC but that team is relentless. Maybe not the best team but they dont quit. They are pretty clutch at battling back. Only thing that I think could sewer them is goaltending. Quick is hot and cold and Peterson is meh.

Have to think the Flames will still make the playoffs. Sutters too good of a coach not to. I dont see them doing much in the playoffs but I cant see them not making it. Team would pretty much have to give up on Sutter in order to not make it.

I see Seattle regressing. I think their record is better than what they are. That being said, they are getting decent goaltending instead of atrocious goaltending so they probably werent as bad as they were last year. Probably a bubble WC team at best, but the longer they stay in the hunt, the better off they are.

As much as people think the Pacific is weak, it looks like the Central is that much weaker. That being said I think Minnesota will continue to claw themselves upwards. Winnipeg is kind of the wildcard at the moment. I suspect they will drop but when you have Hellebuyck, theres always a chance that they make the playoffs. Unfortunately Rittch is their back up so Hellebuyck is going to have to play a lot of games. Not sure why he still keeps getting contracts. I dont think Nashville is going to make it. St. Louis doesnt seem like the same team but I wouldnt count them out yet.

I think the Oilers will make the playoffs. Likely #2 or #3 but they are in tough. Team needs to start games better, play better team defense, play harder and need better goaltending out of Campbell. All should be possible. Team doesnt inspire confidence at times though. They are a roller coaster.
They've been riding Thompson most of the games. If we did the same with Skinner and only play Campbell on back to back games, we would be higher in the standings too

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
That's fair. I'm not too worried about winning the division, but I do worry that if SEA drops off it's not just them we have to pass. I enjoy meming about Huberdeau as much as the rest of the board, but I don't expect CGY to be clipping along at 0.500 forever. While it's possible that the Preds and Blues have completely fallen off, I also don't want to bet on them sleep walking for too much longer either.

It's a point in our favour that we are above 0.500 with the theoretical low end of Campbell and a hard schedule, so the assumption would be that as the schedule gets easier our record should improve. I just get uncomfortable with us sitting near 0.500 for too long, it's a long season but all the games matter. The only reason we could make the playoffs last year despite our laughable play that got Tippet fired, was because of our start. If we end up at 20-17, there is no buffer for a shit month. I would much rather the team just come out and assert themselves against our divisional teams.

The thing that concerns me as well is we have zero buffer space for a bad week or two. By now it is pretty clear that this is a headcase hockey team that you can pretty much guarantee will randomly implode at some point for no real reason. Other than the bubble year we got off to a hot start in all of our playoff seasons which helped us insulate the losing streaks that we can't seem to help ourselves but go on during December.

I'm not totally upset by the record because it could definitely be a lot worse for all the reasons you said, but we need to go on another 5/6 game winning streak soon or else we have to hope that the Oilers can keep clicking along at around a ~.600 pts% at least without blow ups.

Reactions: North Cole

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
They've been riding Thompson most of the games. If we did the same with Skinner and only play Campbell on back to back games, we would be higher in the standings too

Disagree. Adin Hill is still 5-1 with a 0.920% save percentage.

Vegas is still blowing out opponents regardless of who they're playing in net. As mentioned in previous post, their schedule is super soft but they are still winning the games they are supposed to.

I think Edmonton has more potential than Vegas but Edmonton hasnt really played their best hockey and is plagued by inconsistency. That can be taken as a positive or negative depending on your perspective.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
The thing that concerns me as well is we have zero buffer space for a bad week or two. By now it is pretty clear that this is a headcase hockey team that you can pretty much guarantee will randomly implode at some point for no real reason. Other than the bubble year we got off to a hot start in all of our playoff seasons which helped us insulate the losing streaks that we can't seem to help ourselves but go on during December.

I'm not totally upset by the record because it could definitely be a lot worse for all the reasons you said, but we need to go on another 5/6 game winning streak soon or else we have to hope that the Oilers can keep clicking along at around a ~.600 pts% at least without blow ups.
Agreed, if we were a more consistent team then I wouldn't even care. But as you said, team has lived on peaks and valley's only this year we haven't had a peak.

Maybe this is us turning into a consistent team and we will go 10-7 the rest of the way, but I wouldn't bet on it haha.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Agreed, if we were a more consistent team then I wouldn't even care. But as you said, team has lived on peaks and valley's only this year we haven't had a peak.

Maybe this is us turning into a consistent team and we will go 10-7 the rest of the way, but I wouldn't bet on it haha.

At least as far as the regular season goes I have officially stopped hoping "maybe we'll stop doing this stupid thing this year" whether it's slow starts, mystifying losing streaks, streaks of horrendous goaltending/defensive play, playing lazy and stupid specifically at home, etc. This team basically needs to hit rock bottom in any given area of the game before they wake up and play with some modicum of NHL consistency expected out of a good team. We experience and then fix the same issues every single season.

So now I accept it as an inevitable reality that we have to prepare for haha. I hope at least as far as the losing streak/shit December goes that I am dead wrong this year because there is no room for error and no help on the way.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
My prediction for this game is unfortunately a shit, lazy, stupid start that we possibly recover from, but not guaranteed.

It has all the makings of a lazy Oiler game. A win the game prior. Three days off between games. Rookie party combined with an extended stay in Florida. Opponent that played like shit in the game prior. An important game to win (usually these are our worst efforts at this time of year).

To be honest I'm a little frustrated that the team used Florida as a holiday opportunity for the players right before two massive divisional games. Rookie party is fine, but there's no reason to stay there an extra day on Sunday. Team management should know better with this group by now that this is an unnecessary risk.

Hope I'm wrong, but I've seen this movie before.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Which King was the guy who took out Drai's ankle last year? Mikey (lol) Anderson? Hopefully he's wearing a cup in case Draisaitl decides to do his old Zorro stick maneuver on him.

I grew a bit of disdain for the Kings during playoffs last year. Sick of hearing about "hurr durr Doughty was out." I say we squash these guys !!!

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
My prediction for this game is unfortunately a shit, lazy, stupid start that we possibly recover from, but not guaranteed.

It has all the makings of a lazy Oiler game. A win the game prior. Three days off between games. Rookie party combined with an extended stay in Florida. Opponent that played like shit in the game prior. An important game to win (usually these are our worst efforts at this time of year).

To be honest I'm a little frustrated that the team used Florida as a holiday opportunity for the players right before two massive divisional games. Rookie party is fine, but there's no reason to stay there an extra day on Sunday. Team management should know better with this group by now that this is an unnecessary risk.

Hope I'm wrong, but I've seen this movie before.

While I understand the sentiment, considering there is a league mandate for a minimum number of days off every month, seems only right to give them a day off in a nicer location when there's 3 days between games. This is also particularly important as Edmonton had played more games than all but 7 or 8 teams up until Saturday and only 1 team had played more .

Team bonding may not always pay immediate dividends in Game 1 after, but it does ultimately benefit the team. Also, now that they had that day off they can use the extra day without a game between LA and Vegas to focus on a few items in their home practice facility.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
8pm start at home? More Hollywood catering.

Cave these ****ers in, no mercy.

Its weird how this game starts at 8pm. The Calgary and LA game started at 6:30pm.

Its not like people on the east coast stay upto 10pm EST to watch the Oilers anyway. Just play the game at 7pm.

Reactions: ToeMcDrag83

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Its weird how this game starts at 8pm. The Calgary and LA game started at 6:30pm.

Its not like people on the east coast stay upto 10pm EST to watch the Oilers anyway. Just play the game at 7pm.

Like there's no good reason I can think of besides allowing LA commuters more time to get home I guess?
I don't think there's any other Rogers Place events or something interfering.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

It's for the SN Wednesday Night Hockey doubleheader. So we get the BS late game.

Zero chance the royalty who live out east will stand to watch a hockey game starting at 6PM.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Like there's no good reason I can think of besides allowing LA commuters more time to get home I guess?
I don't think there's any other Rogers Place events or something interfering.

Like 5M4f said its for the Wednesday double header, but I think its just stupid honestly. LA fans can watch the game at 6pm. East coast fans arent watching anyway.

Its not like they make Carolina play at 7pm (their time) when Edmonton is on the road. I dont really get NHL scheduling.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
It's for the SN Wednesday Night Hockey doubleheader. So we get the BS late game.

Zero chance the royalty who live out east will stand to watch a hockey game starting at 6PM.

I was thinking of going to this game, but home 8pm starts on a weekday blow. You're not home until midnight at the very best and I usually am not asleep until 1 or 2 after that.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

NashtoNowitzki

Jan 8, 2019
I don't understand these never-ending comments about the start time. We get it, it sucks for you personally and your specific life. But the TV companies & ad agencies have done the research and run the numbers; this is how you get the most people watching. Give it a f***ing rest.

*Laughs in Pacific Time Zone

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

....stapled....

Also - Woody and Holland are absolutely failing Holloway at this point. Malone should be brought up to replace Shore at 4C and get Holloways 5 minutes of ice time, so Holloway can get 20 minutes in Bako.

Oilers again working hard to f*** up their prospects.

They never learn do they.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

....stapled....

Also - Woody and Holland are absolutely failing Holloway at this point. Malone should be brought up to replace Shore at 4C and get Holloways 5 minutes of ice time, so Holloway can get 20 minutes in Bako.

Oilers again working hard to f*** up their prospects.

They never learn do they.

I'm guessing Holloway and Shore get sent down when Yamo and Benson are ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad