Kings @ Oilers - 1/24/2013

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
If anything I'm glad it ended the way it did rather thana typical "ride Quick for another 1-0/2-1 win." It's going to take something like this to breathe some life into the team.

This is exactly what people are talking about when they say Cup hangover. Chicago was proving that they haven't gone anywhere, the Avs and Oilers were young teams riled up at the opportunity to beat the champs. What were the Kings playing for in any of these games? A paycheck?

It's hard to get motivated and emotionally invested in the game when you've been all the way to the top. Hopefully this bruised some egos, becauses that's what it will take to get the team emotional again.

TimbeS

Jan 24, 2013
Finland
I didn't watch the game, its hard to wake up @4am every time(I live in Finland). Anyway, I was going to ask about Richards, read a few pages and I think I don't have to anymore. It's only been 3 games, give the guy a break he did not play anywhere for last 6months. Richie is not the most skilled player so he needs to be really in shape to get his game going. I don't think benching him would solve anything. Well I'll watch the next game and hope from the bottom of my heart that he wakes up

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Like I said after the last game, if last year taught me anything its that you can play like crap for most of a season and it ultimately won't matter. I was truly disgusted with this team last season, in the worst way possible. Something I never was even as the Kings were a bottom feeder. But they still won it all, so it was a completely wasted emotion. What was the point of all that negativity?

So try not to get too down and upset about things.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Oil fan coming in peace.

Well guys, it was entertaining at least. Both teams got screwed by the reffing though. They seem to want to be the stars of the show or something.

I've heard Quick hasn't been great this year, but he made some pretty stellar saves throughout the game IMO.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Like I said after the last game, if last year taught me anything its that you can play like crap for most of a season and it ultimately won't matter. I was truly disgusted with this team last season, in the worst way possible. Something I never was even as the Kings were a bottom feeder. But they still won it all, so it was a completely wasted emotion. What was the point of all that negativity?

These games are like pre-season games. A point is a good start, as long as they don't get too far behind a playoff spot and don't get any more injuries I'm not going to jump off a bridge like 90% of the posters in this thread. People need to put this into perspective.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
63.4 Objects Thrown on the Ice – In the event that objects are thrown on the ice that interfere with the progress of the game, the Referee shall blow the whistle and stop the play and the puck shall be faced-off at a face-off spot in the zone nearest to the spot where play is stopped. When objects are thrown on the ice during a stoppage in play, including after the scoring of a goal, the Referee shall have announced over the public address system that any further occurrences will result in a bench minor penalty being assessed to the home Team. Articles thrown onto the ice following a special occasion (i.e. hat trick) will not result in a bench minor penalty being assessed. Refer also to Rule 53.6 when spectator interference occurs during a breakaway.

Teams can be penalized for fans throwing trash on the ice. I don't blame Sutter for being upset about that.

The Kings didn't deserve to win anyway, though.

Oh, and Shellz, "celly" is a thing. Apparently you haven't hung around with enough hockey players.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I'm giving the team 10 games/2 weeks to get the kinks out. Hopefully they're around .500 by the time they do so.

They clearly don't look like the team from the playoffs. Whether that's because these are the first games after winning the Cup, and these are not playoff games(i.e. Cup hangover), or because this team is much closer to the regular season team than the playoff team, only time will tell.

That has to be allowed to play out a bit though. Can't jump off the bridge yet.

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007

This is a fan forum it consists of many "Mitches" (men *****es) so you have to tune out the *****ing and tune in what matters.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Oil fan coming in peace.

Well guys, it was entertaining at least. Both teams got screwed by the reffing though. They seem to want to be the stars of the show or something.

I've heard Quick hasn't been great this year, but he made some pretty stellar saves throughout the game IMO.

Quick has been Quick, no pun intended. Always deferring questions about the team back to himself. Quick is still our MVP. These losses aren't on him, at all. They're on our awful power play.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Another Oiler fan coming in peace. Lol.

Quick really is something else to behold. As long as he is on his game, your team will always be contenders.

I agree with the general consensus that there should have been a penalty on the crowd, but boy were we pissed. Lol.

As for the too many men in OT, Richards has to be more urgent in getting off the ice, IMO, with all the other crap that took place tonight. I really thought both teams got screwed over more than once.

Until we meet again... :cheers:

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
That's another point to be made. You can see the emotions teams are coming in with when they play us. They want to defeat the champions. They have purpose against us. The Kings right now look like we're coming out of the championship haze. Of course we want to win, but we just don't have that same purpose. But it'll come. It's only been 3 games.

On that note, you think PHOENIX will be ready to play on Sat? I fully expect this team to be 0-3-1 by Sun morning. Oh, and then we play a team from VANCOUVER.

Hahaha, better get it together Kings! Can we bring back Kompon?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
After calming down and watching the replays of the Oilers goals, the breakdowns that led to the goals could have been avoided completely.

Stoll's head is in the clouds after the year he's had: winning the Cup, hooking up with the Great One's daughter, and now being with Erin Andrews... it appears he's forgotten how to do the one thing he's good at, winning faceoffs. His stupid decision to try to move the puck forward on the late draw allowed Edmonton to tie the game.

Then in OT, you have a guy slacking off to get to the bench and a player with a head of cement jumping onto the ice way too early, and it results in a well deserved penalty.

Avoidable errors cost them for the second consecutive game. Once again, they're playing like its pre-season hockey. If players are to be held accountable, maybe the ice time for Richards and Stoll should be decreased. Especially if they're going to cost the team points.

Thus far, of a possible 6 points, the Kings have 1 point. It's still early, but if they keep this up, they're going to be fighting another uphill battle all season long just to stay in the playoffs.

Meanwhile, the Sharks are playing unbelievably well, as are the Ducks. The Stars are looking pretty good as well and are now going to get Benn back. The Kings better wake the **** up.

Jun 30, 2006
The thing that gets overlooked because of the mental errors this team makes is scoring. What troubles me the most is the fact we are NOT scoring. 4 goals in 3 games is pathetic. We should have beaten the Avalanche and the Oilers, we have a lead and we have crapped the bed two games in a row.

2 games in a row we have blown a lead heading into the third period. We went on 95 game win streak for 3 years when holding a lead after the second period, and now we have lost two straight games in that fashion. Unbelievable.

Our top 6 needs to wake up, looking slow and beat up.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
2 games in a row we have blown a lead heading into the third period. We went on 95 game win streak for 3 years when holding a lead after the second period, and now we have lost two straight games in that fashion. Unbelievable.

It's not that unbelievable with Mitchell and Greene out. Plus the Kings had lost in ot/shootout 9 times in that stretch, just the loss to Colorado was the first one in regulation. The offense is a concern though. Hard to believe that a team with this much firepower can't find the back of the net unless Clifford is involved...

Jun 30, 2006
It's not that unbelievable with Mitchell and Greene out. Plus the Kings had lost in ot/shootout 9 times in that stretch, just the loss to Colorado was the first one in regulation.

Hopefully Mitchie is back by Saturday. He really is the glue to this team.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Hopefully Mitchie is back by Saturday. He really is the glue to this team.

While I understand where you are coming from, the lack of goal scoring is what cost the team last night.. I really don't want to fall back into trying to win 1-0 games again.

Willie,will get us back to more traditional pairings, on D, but until Brown, Williams, Stoll, Richards, Penner and some others, decide they want to play hockey we will struggle.

Captain Mittens*

While I understand where you are coming from, the lack of goal scoring is what cost the team last night.. I really don't want to fall back into trying to win 1-0 games again.

Willie,will get us back to more traditional pairings, on D, but until Brown, Williams, Stoll, Richards, Penner and some others, decide they want to play hockey we will struggle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad