Kings Video: Kings of the Roundtable

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
I think the main problem with it would be Alzner in and Martinez (or Muzzin) out would be a wash financially, if Alzner doesn't get more than $4M (which he could), so they would have to get a forward making nothing to make it work, unless Lewis or McNabb get taken and Greene goes on LTIR, that saves $4M+.

If you sign Alzner in the offseason, you get a free defenseman essentially (i.e., you don't have to waste picks or a roster player to get him). You can then trade Martinez for one of the first round picks. Maybe a package of Martinez+ will land you Dallas' 3rd overall. Or, a team might be interested in trading for Martinez in return for a prospect that is ready to crack the NHL lineup.

It is definitely a good idea.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
If you sign Alzner in the offseason, you get a free defenseman essentially (i.e., you don't have to waste picks or a roster player to get him). You can then trade Martinez for one of the first round picks. Maybe a package of Martinez+ will land you Dallas' 3rd overall. Or, a team might be interested in trading for Martinez in return for a prospect that is ready to crack the NHL lineup.

I think you over value Martinez by quite a bit.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I think the main problem with it would be Alzner in and Martinez (or Muzzin) out would be a wash financially, if Alzner doesn't get more than $4M (which he could), so they would have to get a forward making nothing to make it work, unless Lewis or McNabb get taken and Greene goes on LTIR, that saves $4M+.

If some GM wants to give Alzner $4M a season, let that GM do it. Blake shouldn't pay that kind of money for Alzner.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Imagine how stable the blueline would've been had the Kings just drafted Alzner in 2007 rather than getting cute and showing how much smarter they are than everyone else in the room by going off the board with that Thomas Hickey selection.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Thanks for posting these. I also think vegas is taking Lewis.

Another thing to keep in mind is even if the expansion draft selection doesn't help them that much, the question then is will the selection hurt the kings? If the kings trade one of muzzin/martinez before the draft, then I see vegas taking mcnabb because that screws up our defense.

The kings are their division/geographic rival. They aren't going to take gaborik or brown because doing so will help us a lot. they aren't here to do us any favors. Paying vegas to take one of them is a different matter.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Thanks for posting these. I also think vegas is taking Lewis.

Another thing to keep in mind is even if the expansion draft selection doesn't help them that much, the question then is will the selection hurt the kings? If the kings trade one of muzzin/martinez before the draft, then I see vegas taking mcnabb because that screws up our defense.

The kings are their division/geographic rival. They aren't going to take gaborik or brown because doing so will help us a lot. they aren't here to do us any favors. Paying vegas to take one of them is a different matter.

I don't think they will make that deal before the expansion (though I do think Martinez or Muzzin will be moved, likely entry draft weekend), but let's say they do, they could then protect McNabb and Forbort, forcing them to take Lewis or Dowd (likely Lewis).

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Yeah, I do think one is being moved - most likely Martinez. But unless a draft protected player comes back, any forward the Kings get will have to be protected.

In which case, that's a 7-3-1 situation. And that still means McNabb goes because it would hurt the defense.

I think a move will be made after the draft not before.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Kings need cost controlled players. A first round pick is the best chance of having talent at a controlled cost for a few years.

Freeing up enough capspace to overspend on another free agent, which is what it would be used for, is counterintuitive.

Of course, if your goal is just make the playoffs and for as long as possible (Detroit/Dead Things etc). The problem is without a sure thing the odds that our first rounder will help in the next 3 years (window) are slim. The 6 mil from Brown can be used immediately. Who knows what AEG really wants Blake to do though.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Imagine how stable the blueline would've been had the Kings just drafted Alzner in 2007 rather than getting cute and showing how much smarter they are than everyone else in the room by going off the board with that Thomas Hickey selection.

Yeah, and of course everything that happened would be different including the strong possibility of no cups vs. two. I would love HF for nothing more than the world class second-guessing.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I have some bad news for some of you. The Kings window is closed.

If you believe the window is still open, you should advocate what HookKing wants to do and dig yourself an even bigger hole.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008

If you believe the window is still open, you should advocate what HookKing wants to do and dig yourself an even bigger hole.

Of course it is just like everyone predicted Ottawa would be two games away from the cup final. Your "news" isn't bad just old and tiresome not to mention that "bigger holes" lead to much better draft picks.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan

Thanks man! Now that I know, I guess I can just cancel my cable. No point in watching the games next season since we don't have a chance winning the cup.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
If some GM wants to give Alzner $4M a season, let that GM do it. Blake shouldn't pay that kind of money for Alzner.

I have been a fan of signing Alzner for some time, but I'm not sure how he's going to receive less than 5 million on the open market. Almost an inevitable overpayment.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Thanks man! Now that I know, I guess I can just cancel my cable. No point in watching the games next season since we don't have a chance winning the cup.

Nah, you can still enjoy watching up and coming teams like Edmonton and Toronto.

Unfortunately, Dean's loyalty did irreparable damage to this roster. Blake is probably going to have to start from scratch.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015

Seems like Alzner is the 2nd best d-man available. Someone will give him $5.5 million or more.

What about Brendan Smith? I've always liked his game. Can play both sides as well as a lefty.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011

"Hold my beer..."

Colten-Teubert.jpg

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Seems like Alzner is the 2nd best d-man available. Someone will give him $5.5 million or more.

What about Brendan Smith? I've always liked his game. Can play both sides as well as a lefty.

Then let someone else make that mistake. I am not as familiar with Smith as you are, so if he is a viable alternative at something significantly less than $4M, then maybe Blake should move Martinez and sign Smith.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
One of them actually had a good idea there. Signing Alzner to play with Doughty and moving Martinez for a young, cost-controlled forward would not be a bad thing.

It may get me to finally shut up about drafting Hickey over him...I just think the cost will be too high for Alzner. I think Colorado will go hard after Alzner and Shattenkirk. They a ****load of cap space too

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

IS that plus LA's first plus a better player than Martinez?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

Yup, I still ***** about that draft.

Imagine how stable it would have been had a Russian top 4 not turned into a d-bag

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

Rather role with Doughty, LaDue, Forbort, Martinez, Muzzin and McNabb than overpay a FA for a slight improvement.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Then let someone else make that mistake. I am not as familiar with Smith as you are, so if he is a viable alternative at something significantly less than $4M, then maybe Blake should move Martinez and sign Smith.

He'll sign for around $4 million or more probably. Rumors are he turned down a 3 year $3.3 million a season extension from Detroit which is why they traded him.

Rather role with Doughty, LaDue, Forbort, Martinez, Muzzin and McNabb than overpay a FA for a slight improvement.

I would be perfectly fine with that. Was just discussing for discussions sake if they wanted to move Martinez or Muzzin. I think Smith would be a good option to replace the player they traded.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008

Unless LaDue is ready for top 4 duty that lineup isn't going to cut it. That lefty lefty 2nd pairing is a continuing disaster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad