Kings Video: Kings of the Roundtable

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA

First episode of the Mayor's and the 4th period's media roundtable discussion. Say what you want about Bernstein and Hoven, but I always found these very interesting to listen to.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I enjoy any Kings talk because we don't get much of it in the local media.

I haven't been following things that closely lately, but this is the first I've heard that there was tension between Doughty and Sutter. Ditto for DL and Robitaille.

Hoven praising the Ryan Smyth for his contribution was pretty laughable.

kopitar1199

Jul 5, 2008
la

I haven't been following things that closely lately, but this is the first I've heard that there was tension between Doughty and Sutter. Ditto for DL and Robitaille.

that is laughable, we get plenty of kings coverage if you look for it, hockey isnt a media driven sport in California and to expect kcal9 or the la times to do pieces on the kings with the same regularity as they do for basketball or baseball is utterly insane.

you may not like who covers our kings but we do have coverage, and **** ya kings cast is back!

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I don't know Smyth's effect on grooming the up and comers, and I would never dare suggest as much on this board, but his effect in the lineup was noticeable, though brief. Good move to bring him in, good move to get out from under him.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
that is laughable, we get plenty of kings coverage if you look for it, hockey isnt a media driven sport in California and to expect kcal9 or the la times to do pieces on the kings with the same regularity as they do for basketball or baseball is utterly insane.

you may not like who covers our kings but we do have coverage, and **** ya kings cast is back!

I don't think Kingscast is back. I do miss Kalazewski (sp) making videos from games. Those were the days. The only bad thing abput Kingscast is that it was back in the pre-Cup days.

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
I don't think Kingscast is back. I do miss Kalazewski (sp) making videos from games. Those were the days. The only bad thing abput Kingscast is that it was back in the pre-Cup days.

I think they covered 2012? They were cool to watching back in the day.

Love this roundtable though. Listening to all these professionals banter off in real time about my hockey team who's rarely covered is refreshing. Thanks for putting these on, they make my off season a little more manageable.

I wonder if Muzz/Mart trades will be explored and who Kings could get for value with them.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA

Love this roundtable though. Listening to all these professionals banter off in real time about my hockey team who's rarely covered is refreshing. Thanks for putting these on, they make my off season a little more manageable.

I wonder if Muzz/Mart trades will be explored and who Kings could get for value with them.

They covered 2010,2011 and 2013. Its really fun looking back at those all these years later. And I'm sure they'll discuss anything and everything regarding the team.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
we get plenty of kings coverage if you look for it

I didn't say "coverage" I said "Kings talk". I'm not talking about articles/scores/highlights/practice notes ect. I'm talking about discussion. We get the Kings pre/post game segments, and one podcast that I know of. I don't expect much more, obviously, but I want more.

kopitar1199

Jul 5, 2008
la
I didn't say "coverage" I said "Kings talk". I'm not talking about articles/scores/highlights/practice notes ect. I'm talking about discussion. We get the Kings pre/post game segments, and one podcast that I know of. I don't expect much more, obviously, but I want more.
ya its not realistic though, they are employed for game entertainment, and i would get sirius xm, you'll have all the hockey talk or kings talk you want but again we dont live in a hockey market...

kopitar1199

Jul 5, 2008
la
they might be, bernstein covered it in his interview before the debut they want to get back to doing that kind of stuff, i dont see this as a one off type thing either.... they put serious effort into this!

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

None of us have a huge amount of background information on this, but I can tell you having met Dean and Luc that almost since Dean's arrival he was not well liked by the Robitailles. I first became aware of the friction when Dean pulled the players out of the celebrity poker tournament in Vegas, which Stacia Robitaille did not appreciate. That was very early in Dean's tenure.

If you have ever met Dean, he isn't the kind of guy that suffers fools gladly, and I'm sorry Luc isn't Phi Beta Kappa.

Last edited:

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

Sure they could and one will go, IMO, I think they'd like that $$ back for the TT/TP deals and to have some cushion for a top 6 forward. Lots of teams will be busy with moves, the expansion draft and protected players/not losing one will have the phone lines busy.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Sure they could and one will go, IMO, I think they'd like that $$ back for the TT/TP deals and to have some cushion for a top 6 forward. Lots of teams will be busy with moves, the expansion draft and protected players/not losing one will have the phone lines busy.

I wonder who Blake values are more valuable to the Kings. It sounded like Dean was not moving Muzzin unless he was completely blown away. But Martinez fits in better with the "new" style of the NHL.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Rob Blake was instrumental in getting bent over by Kopitar and his agent. That's reassuring.

Not buying the angle regarding two HOF players are going to influence college kids who are UFAs.

Hoven is out of his mind regarding Vegas being interested in Brown.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Don't know how I missed the comments on Smyth, lol a winner? Influenced young players?

Smyth completely quit on this team and had one foot out the door in 2011 while collecting $6.2 mill in salary, and then the cherry on top he straight up lied to Hammond, called MacKenzie a liar and then basically took a dump on the city on the way out.

But maybe Smyth did rub off on the young players, Doughty held out the next season and Kopitar got a max term/max salary deal.

Smyth is an NHL con man, good to see Hoven was a victim, I bet Smyth was an easy interview, same reason he loved Doan

Last edited:

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
The revenge on Smyth was greatest in the post interview he had. Calling the Kings winning the cup after his trade "bittersweet".

Sweet, sweet, bittersweet revenge.

Silly Albertan.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Hoven is so full of crap when it comes to Vegas taking Brown in the expansion draft.

Keeps pushing Voynov coming back. Hoven needs to put the crack pipe down.

LaDue is a top 4? Top 4 defensemen typically play in the NHL before they reach 24 years of age.

And Mersch is a legit top sixer. I know because I keep seeing posters here put him there in mock lineups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad