Kings Video: Kings of the Roundtable

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Hoven is so full of crap when it comes to Vegas taking Brown in the expansion draft.

Keeps pushing Voynov coming back. Hoven needs to put the crack pipe down.

LaDue is a top 4? Top 4 defensemen typically play in the NHL before they reach 24 years of age.

And Mersch is a legit top sixer. I know because I keep seeing posters here put him there in mock lineups.

Not when they spend 4 years in the USHL or in college they don't, not saying he's right about Ladue, but their is such a thing as development.

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
We're the Kings, KINGS17. We've had anyone from Kyle Calder, Raitis Ivanans, Justin Williams, and Kyle Clifford on the top line before. Doesn't mean those players are top-6ers.

If the dude was talented enough to stick, I believe he would have. Personally, I call him a Dwight King replacement (but only in a Darryl Sydor system). Too slow and lumbering.

Got a bit of a chuckle when the whole room laughed at the thought of Voynov coming back.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
At the end of the day these guys are just fans who decided to be journalists. They may have some inside sources on personnel moves and what not, but their knowledge of the game and who should play where is no better than many of the posters on this board.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
At the end of the day these guys are just fans who decided to be journalists. They may have some inside sources on personnel moves and what not, but their knowledge of the game and who should play where is no better than many of the posters on this board.

Agreed. There are people here, if they started a blog and were given some access, I would value more as journalists covering the Kings.

I mean Hoven got the Justin Williams situation right, didn't he?

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Every time Hoven says something I think is reasonable he follows that up by 2-3 pompous ridiculous comments.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Haven't seen that many dim bulbs in one spot since I once accidentally wandered into a Hollywood blvd strip club.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Vegas probably isn't selecting Brown, but it's not impossible. Stranger things have happened.

Does anyone have a list which players from the Kings are ineligible for the expansion draft even if they're not exposed?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft

The cap friendly expansion tool has a list of all exempt players.

So if I understand correctly, and the Kings protect 4F/4D/1G, then Vegas would be choosing from these players:

Brown
Gaborik
Lewis
Clifford
Nolan
Dowd
Shore
Andreoff

McNabb

Zatkoff
Campbell

Slim pickings there. Brown doesn't look that far fetched considering what else is available from LA. McNabb would be the most obvious choice, but he's a UFA after next season which could make him unappealing. I think they'll take Lewis or McNabb.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
So if I understand correctly, and the Kings protect 4F/4D/1G, then Vegas would be choosing from these players:

Brown
Gaborik
Lewis
Clifford
Nolan
Dowd
Shore
Andreoff

McNabb

Zatkoff
Campbell

Slim pickings there. Brown doesn't look that far fetched considering what else is available from LA. McNabb would be the most obvious choice, but he's a UFA after next season which could make him unappealing. I think they'll take Lewis or McNabb.

I think they will pick either Lewis or Dowd. Lewis is the best choice because he is responsible defensively, has speed, can score 10 goals a season, which makes him a perfect guy for the third or fourth line.

Vegas could go with Dowd also if they see potential for him as someone with untapped talent who can develop into a solid third line center.

I doubt they will take McNabb, considering the other options they have on defense.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I think they will pick either Lewis or Dowd. Lewis is the best choice because he is responsible defensively, has speed, can score 10 goals a season, which makes him a perfect guy for the third or fourth line.

Vegas could go with Dowd also if they see potential for him as someone with untapped talent who can develop into a solid third line center.

I doubt they will take McNabb, considering the other options they have on defense.

Only problem with Dowd is that he's a UFA after next season. Lewis is the safest choice because he's locked up for 3 more years on a reasonable contract.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008

Brown
Gaborik
Lewis
Clifford
Nolan
Dowd
Shore
Andreoff

McNabb

Zatkoff
Campbell

Vegas might select him if the Kings sweeten. What would you give them to take him, our first rounder?

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Vegas will probably select Lewis, he is perfect for a young team. A Veteran with tremendous work ethic.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Vegas might select him if the Kings sweeten. What would you give them to take him, our first rounder?

I wouldn't mind the Kings enticing Vegas with an additional asset to take Brown, but a 1st is too much IMO.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Kings need cost controlled players. A first round pick is the best chance of having talent at a controlled cost for a few years.

Freeing up enough capspace to overspend on another free agent, which is what it would be used for, is counterintuitive.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Kings need cost controlled players. A first round pick is the best chance of having talent at a controlled cost for a few years.

Freeing up enough capspace to overspend on another free agent, which is what it would be used for, is counterintuitive.

I think there is some value UFA's out there that we could sign to help fill out our bottom six if we clear Brown's salary.

To be clear though, losing Brown probably makes us a worse team in the short run.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
A real Quality bottom six guy, is going to cost around 3-3.5 million.

I would expect to pay that, for a guy that is going to put up some production.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA

Episode 5 is up discussing free agency, Kopitar and Gaborik. I didn't bother posting episode 4 because they discussed topics that we've already heard before and didn't provide anything new.

I'm hesitant to post more because I know Bernstein and Hoven aren't exactly well liked around these parts with their opinions. If you guys want I'll continue to post the links, but if not then that's fine too.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Episode 5 is up discussing free agency, Kopitar and Gaborik. I didn't bother posting episode 4 because they discussed topics that we've already heard before and didn't provide anything new.

I'm hesitant to post more because I know Bernstein and Hoven aren't exactly well liked around these parts with their opinions. If you guys want I'll continue to post the links, but if not then that's fine too.

One of them actually had a good idea there. Signing Alzner to play with Doughty and moving Martinez for a young, cost-controlled forward would not be a bad thing.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
One of them actually had a good idea there. Signing Alzner to play with Doughty and moving Martinez for a young, cost-controlled forward would not be a bad thing.

I think the main problem with it would be Alzner in and Martinez (or Muzzin) out would be a wash financially, if Alzner doesn't get more than $4M (which he could), so they would have to get a forward making nothing to make it work, unless Lewis or McNabb get taken and Greene goes on LTIR, that saves $4M+.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad