GDT: Kings in CGY to get burned in the throne by the almighty FLAMES 7PM start time boyos

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
It's crazy easy to forget how young he still is.

Seriously a year leading the Heat as a #1D, playing a huge role is probably the most ideal Kylington scenario and I think is what anyone who is a big fan of his should hope for. It's nice for him to get some NHL action for sure and reward him. I think though it'll pay off in spades if he's allowed to mature in that role this year though.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I mean he made one of those exact gaffs just last night, sometimes reputations are earned. There is more than one narrative going on when it comes to Kylington, that's for sure.

If you're talking about his neutral-zone drop pass that got picked off, it didn't even result in a dangerous chance, although Andersson did take a selfish penalty on the same shift. It was just one of those moments that feeds a narrative. Brodie, Giordano, Hanifin have all had uglier gaffes this season. Hanifin also seems to be worse away from the puck defensively as blasphemous as that's going to sound.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
If you're talking about his neutral-zone drop pass that got picked off, it didn't even result in a dangerous chance, although Andersson did take a selfish penalty on the same shift. It was just one of those moments that feeds a narrative.

What if I told you Anderson’s actions and Kylington actions are independent of one another and both were bad? Andersson taking a selfish penalty has nothing to do with the two gaffs Kylington made that game. Equating them as if it matters is a poor, poor argument.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
What if I told you Anderson’s actions and Kylington actions are independent of one another and both were bad? Andersson taking a selfish penalty has nothing to do with the two gaffs Kylington made that game. Equating them as if it matters is a poor, poor argument.

What if I told you that I never suggested they were not independent of each other?

Kylington did not have his best game. No one is saying he did, and any gaffes he did indeed happened.

He also was not the only Flames defenseman to not have his best game - Andersson and Hanifin were both awful and yet people seem content with expecting them to bounce back. It wasn't a well-played game by the team. More to the point, the opponent appeared to have scouted our systems and was countering it aggressively. It happens sometimes.

He's also not the only Flames defenseman to have an absolutely brutal game this season (not that that is a good description of his game last night). Hanifin, Giordano, Brodie, Andersson, and Valimaki have all had games where you're left scratching your head. Even Hamonic, who's been consistently good, cost Smith a shutout this week.

Brodie isn't the player you saw in the Rangers game.
Giordano isn't the player you saw in the Oilers game.
Andersson isn't the player you saw in the Blues game.

Guys need tape to watch at the NHL level to figure out what they're doing wrong, and they need a chance to bounce back.

What matters is the large body of work.

Last edited:

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
What if I told you that I never suggested they were not independent of each other?

Kylington did not have his best game. No one is saying he did, and any gaffes he did indeed happened.

Guys need tape to watch at the NHL level to figure out what they're doing wrong, and they need a chance to bounce back.

What matters is the large body of work.

First disagreeing with your assessment isn't an indictment on Kylington's overall talent level. The assertion you try to spin is that some here think Kylington is crap and I have seen nothing to support that thought pattern.

I agree totally with the "What matters is the large body of work." and that also means you can not dispute the larger body of work thus far Kylington has displayed since being drafted by the Flames organization. Nobody and I mean nobody can dispute the talent Oliver has but that also means individuals can not carry a revisionists account of Oliver's flaws in the AHL to this point. He is under the microscope because of 3 plus years he has been involved in the organization. This call-up should end up really benefiting Kylington's development because he will get to see the results of being under the microscope at the NHL level. He will go back to the AHL this year and come back next season ready to literally TAKE a starting spot from someone.

No d-man in the NHL is perfect and nobody here expects Oliver to be perfect but making gaffs because he is always pressing for offense when the Flames are up by 1 in the third period are not tolerable. Brodie, Valimaki, and Andersson have all been sat, moved down the depth chart, or benched. All the players making up the defensive core are more NHL ready than Oliver and that is not slighting Oliver, his talent or his work ethic.

I think Oliver one day could earn a Norris if he becomes more patient with his game by letting the game come to him. He will learn-- He is still very young but he will be a very important piece of the Flames moving forward. Fortunately we have the depth on the Flames to allow him to be his best when he does earn that spot in the line-up.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Kylington has had far more positive than negative to his game since being called up. It’s really important that we let him play through it. Benching him is what we’ve done to players in the past and it’s why Calgary has been awful at developing players. It’s same stuff with Tkachuk, yes all players gonna make mistakes and we need to give them rope so they can maximize their potential, we need to encourage their talent and what makes them great. The key is weighing if they’re more of a net positive than negaivtive. Kylington has been very good overall and see you the flashes of what he can be.

In saying that, this discussion can be resumed elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad