Kings @ Avalanche - 1/22/2013

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Doughty played good overall, but he had too many shots blocked tonight. He waits too long to get his shot off, and players just clog the lanes while he's lining it up.

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
PS, I didn't like re-signing Penner and I still don't. I don't think he's good, at all. It's time to find someone to replace the guy, maybe Gagné or call up Toffoli, at least he's in shape and in midform.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
If it makes any of you feel better, there are other teams with high expectations that are looking like crap. Namely the Flyers and Rangers. I guess it was expected for the Red Wings to struggle but they've been pretty miserable as well. Misery loves company.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
We've never been good without Willie Mitchell, no joke. Can someone please find our record in the last two seasons with him and without him? I'm pretty sure there's a HUGE difference, this guy means more to our team than people think. One of, if not the most underrated player on the Kings.

It's bad.

Something like 12-28 when he is out of the lineup.

And 43-12 when he is in it.

Something like that, A Kings fan around this board has the numbers.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I still believe the odd season schedule, lack of WM, and Davis Payne still adjusting are the main problems. All will be worked out in time. Go Kings Go!

Bernier, Brown, Clifford, King, Kopitar, Lewis, Martinez,Muzzin, Nolan and Voynov played meaningful hockey during the lockout, while the rest were mostly idle. It certainly shows, doesn't it?

Yes it does.

bobafettish*

looks like carter and richards literally have a stanley cup hang over.......

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
- This team could still use a skilled winger in the top six. Time is running out on Penner and Gagne. For Game #3, it's Penner's turn to sit.

Agreed on the top 6 part.

I think the playoff run made some people forget just how awful #25 and #28 were for all of last season. I was all for giving Penner another chance, and the 1 year deal was totally fine. Unfortunately #28 is locked in for three long ass years of disinterested and awful play.

It's only 2 games, but perhaps adding some new blood over the summer wouldn't have been such a bad idea. As others have pointed out, there are some guys out there who look like they spent the entire offseason and lockout sitting on their ***** enjoying the win, and forgot all the hard work it takes to do it again. Richards, Penner, Stoll and Williams immediately come to mind watching the game tonight, just constantly a step behind.

This team has a huge bullseye on its back. Teams are going to be hyped to play the Kings, especially in front of their home fans. That's a position the Kings have never been in before.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
(This is mostly tongue in cheek, picking up the tradition I observed last season...)

As of this moment, assuming that the San Jose/Edmonton score holds up, a total of 65 points gets the Kings into the playoff (64 to be at the mercy of tiebreakers)...

Meaning they need a record of 32-13-1 (a points percentage of .707) in the remaining 46 games.
(Yes, this is ridiculous this early in the season, but it worked out last year!)

AKAY47

Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
Agreed on the top 6 part.

I think the playoff run made some people forget just how awful #25 and #28 were for all of last season. I was all for giving Penner another chance, and the 1 year deal was totally fine. Unfortunately #28 is locked in for three long ass years of disinterested and awful play.

It's only 2 games, but perhaps adding some new blood over the summer wouldn't have been such a bad idea. As others have pointed out, there are some guys out there who look like they spent the entire offseason and lockout sitting on their ***** enjoying the win, and forgot all the hard work it takes to do it again. Richards, Penner, Stoll and Williams immediately come to mind watching the game tonight, just constantly a step behind.

This team has a huge bullseye on its back. Teams are going to be hyped to play the Kings, especially in front of their home fans. That's a position the Kings have never been in before.

Yup. I agree on Stoll and Penner. Those two have been horrible but a good playoffs and boom everyone forgets about how much these guys suck. I don't blame anyone, I mean even I was cool with the Penner deal but God, he's just so damn slow.

Btw, I didn't understand the whole hype about being able to bring back the same players. Why does it matter? Other teams around us are getting better, yet we're just staying the same. Never understood that one. Anyways, I'd like to see Toffoli get a call up if this stays this way and hopefully Mitchell plays soon, we need him

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Froim post game interviews at LA Kings Insider, Sutter's thought (Felt Kopi's line was the worst tonight)

Darryl Sutter
(on Kopitar’s line): “The line had a really tough night…Had tough time two games in a rowâ€
(on fourth line): “We’re working backwards, I mentioned that the other day. Fraser’s line has been the best, then Stoll’s, then Richards, then Kopitar’s tonight. The kids on the back end were really good tonight and Jonathan [Quick] was a lot better. But we need our top forwards to be a lot beter.â€

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Froim post game interviews at LA Kings Insider, Sutter's thought (Felt Kopi's line was the worst tonight)

Darryl Sutter
(on Kopitar’s line): “The line had a really tough night…Had tough time two games in a rowâ€
(on fourth line): “We’re working backwards, I mentioned that the other day. Fraser’s line has been the best, then Stoll’s, then Richards, then Kopitar’s tonight. The kids on the back end were really good tonight and Jonathan [Quick] was a lot better. But we need our top forwards to be a lot better.â€

It was really weird watching Kopi cough up the puck twice, that led to goals....

I mean he doesn't do things like that.

AKAY47

Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
#freetoffoli

Hahahaha yes!! I also don't think it's a coincidence that our 3 best players (arguably) have been playing during the lockout (King, Nolan and Clifford). Toffoli would bring some energy, spark. Way more than Penner

MxH0CKEY

Aug 27, 2008
Planet Earth
On a side note..... Nucks, Pens, Rangers, Kings are the top 4 in chances of winning the cup this season. 3 of those 4 teams have not won yet. I think Philly can join the group as well. CHILL everyone. And yes, I still hate Penner.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I am prepared for 5-10 games ranging from tepid to suck as they get back in the groove.

A fuse blew in my brain when we won the cup, so I'm not too shaken up by a losing streak right after to start this season when so many players are shaking off the doldrums.

Either that or I don't give a **** like I used to because of recent success. Regardless, the motto is "ah well, on to the next one."

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
some good things clifford nolon some ok things muzzin and dewiski play Kopitar look ok drew as well but ur not going to win with a pp going 0-6

invisable to me penner richards brown williams theses players need to show up more

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
The Kings don't look anything close to in game shape.

Neither do a lot of players on most NHL teams. You cannot replicate in 5 days of practice what 3 weeks of traiining camp and preseason games give you. Even then it takes a few games to get your legs and timing back.

It's gonna take the Kings a few more games to regain regular season form. Clifford had the right attitude, 'keep it simple'. They did okay for 2 periods but lost their gas (Kopi mentioned how tired they were by the third) in the 3rd.
It'll come back and being on the road playing every other day will do that. As bad as it is (and I'm suffering thru and 0-3 Flyers start) and as bad as seems, the only way to get your legs, timinjg and form back is to play youir way thru it.
They were better tonight then they were on Saturday and will be better on Thursday. It sucks but as long as nobody else gets hurt, you have to play your way out of it.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Game 1 we may have played half a period of hockey
Game 2 we almost played a solid 2 period of hockey
Game 3 we're bound to play a full 3 periods and get our first win.

And some of the guys really look like they needed more than a few preseason games to get going. Aside from that one chance Richards had on the pp, the second line looks pretty bad and not in sync at all.

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
As annoyed and upset as I am.. I just have to keep telling myself that a lot of these guys haven't played hockey in a looong time. So, it is going to take awhile for them to get back in the groove. How much time? I have no idea. They played much better in the first and the second. Which is a good sign. They're almost there and I'm sure it didn't help that they had 2 days off before their next game. I still love this team! GO KINGS GO!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad