Confirmed with Link: Kings announce signing kovalchuk to 3 year contract.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I like the breakaway part, but not sure on the quick. He's not a speed demon. Unless he's on the 2nd line and they use Carter as a decoy, that would work.
I think his biggest contribution will be on PP, and they need that.

Hope so but I seem to recall numbers showing that when he is on the ice during the PP, short handed goals seem to become more abundant. I think one of the posters showed a graphic displaying that. Forget what thread it was in but it didn't look all that pretty.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Hope so but I seem to recall numbers showing that when he is on the ice during the PP, short handed goals seem to become more abundant. I think one of the posters showed a graphic displaying that. Forget what thread it was in but it didn't look all that pretty.

He did play far too risky on the PP and it did lead to quite a few shorthanded ops. And I don't see that changing. It comes with his territory, the only way he knows how to play

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Not only does he take risks that lead to short handed chances against, but the PP's he's on usually aren't very good.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Really?

Plenty of players haven't walked out on their contracts because the taxes were too high. Actually, I can't think of any others aside from Ilya. You can't make the argument for him that he wanted to be closer to his family or wanted to play in a winning environment.

Whatever. Character clearly means little to some of you.

That's fine. I really hope to be wrong about this guy and his career as a King defines him.

I said name someone who isn’t “all about the money”, not name players that didn't walk out on their contracts.

Teachers?

Heh, they're about the money too... the appalling lack of it, sure. Still about the money though :)

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
I said name someone who isn’t “all about the money”, not name players that didn't walk out on their contracts.

Heh, they're about the money too... the appalling lack of it, sure. Still about the money though :)

Kopitar and doughty could have certainly found a bigger payday in free agency.

You really think all NHL players would skip out of a signed contract to make more money?

I have alittle more faith in humanity. I think most NHL players are stand up guys and will stand by their word.

Dumb argument. I don't see how you can argue this guy is kind of a jerk.

He's a king now so he can do no wrong until he stinks it up on the ice.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
I know plenty of teachers. Poor pay, over worked, bureaucratic interference throughout every level. Basically the only good teachers just really love teaching.

True statement, if the word "teaching" can be interchanged seamlessly with "indoctrination".

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Why would you teach unless you absolutely love it and the kids? You get crap pay, crap bureaucracy. Most people who would've taught in the past now choose other more lucrative jobs.

Two Words: Private School :)

If you aren't a good teacher, you'll be out in a short period of time. You are held to a high standard because parents are forking over a lot of money to educate their kids, and if you are terrible the admin will hear about it. They will usually give you every option to improve and train the crap out of you, but some just aren't cut out for it.

If you are a good teacher, you will flourish. You'll have plenty of support, cutting edge technology, and students that are good citizens (95% of the time). Private school pay scales are lower, but to keep you they will work around it by finding ways to add more years to your experience or pay you stipends to keep your pay competitive. And most importantly, none of the union vs. admin stuff that goes on in the public sector.

To be fair, I did do things the other way, with a more lucrative career first and then teaching after I had some options mature. The hours are great and I can watch my kids grow up in person, spending a lot of time with them.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Two Words: Private School :)

If you aren't a good teacher, you'll be out in a short period of time. You are held to a high standard because parents are forking over a lot of money to educate their kids, and if you are terrible the admin will hear about it. They will usually give you every option to improve and train the crap out of you, but some just aren't cut out for it.

If you are a good teacher, you will flourish. You'll have plenty of support, cutting edge technology, and students that are good citizens (95% of the time). Private school pay scales are lower, but to keep you they will work around it by finding ways to add more years to your experience or pay you stipends to keep your pay competitive. And most importantly, none of the union vs. admin stuff that goes on in the public sector.

To be fair, I did do things the other way, with a more lucrative career first and then teaching after I had some options mature. The hours are great and I can watch my kids grow up in person, spending a lot of time with them.
Well speaking for my wife, she's a Special Education teacher, private school isn't really an option.

Reactions: King Trouty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad