Prust
Bartkowski
Weber
Vey
Miller
Sbisa
Sutter

$30M wasted right there.

We can free up another $5MM from Vrbata, and $4.5MM from Hamhuis (I would take Hamhuis back for another 2-3 years for sure, we'll need a vet back there)

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Yep pretty sad how quickly the fam base has turned on Burrows. And Horvat for that matter.

Burrows last year was an elite defensive winger contributing at a high rate offensively for his minutes at even strength. If he was overpaid it wasn't by much. This year he was one of our best players the first dozen games or so, then he hits a rough patch and the fans turn on him. Pathetic.

It's not because of Burrows and Horvat that this team stinks.

It's also not, not because of burrows and Horvat tho. They are part of the problem.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Really have to think about buying out Burrows/Higgins this summer. Both can be replaced from within at a much cheaper rate (Guance). Take the savings and put it towards a free agent under 30 (preferably a defenseman) that actually has some skating legs left.

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
Vey isn't good but it's not like we have anything else right now. Friesen has been hurt and Grenier is more of a winger.
Gaunce may be getting it together now as a winger, but right now the team needs his energy and size up the middle. Vey's the resurrection of Bryan McSheffrey....

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I'm a fan of possession/advanced stats but is out them about even, if not have Somi higher. Domi is definitely getting a luck of puck luck and Bo has been unlucky but I'd still take Domi if I had a gun to my head.

That's because if you had a gun to your head you wouldn't be thinking straight and use recency bias to justify your decision.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Really have to think about buying out Burrows/Higgins this summer. Both can be replaced from within at a much cheaper rate (Guance). Take the savings and put it towards a free agent under 30 (preferably a defenseman) that actually has some skating legs left.

Burrows has one more year left at 3m, but with a cap hit of 4.5m

That means to buy him out still carries a cap hit of 2.5m next year, and another 1m the year after. So you save 2m in cap space next season but have to carry a 1m hit the year after instead of having the contract off the books. Doesn't really feel worth it to me.

If were looking for buyouts id start with Miller, but then I would have bought him out after last season.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Burrows has one more year left at 3m, but with a cap hit of 4.5m

That means to buy him out still carries a cap hit of 2.5m next year, and another 1m the year after. So you save 2m in cap space next season but have to carry a 1m hit the year after instead of having the contract off the books. Doesn't really feel worth it to me.

If were looking for buyouts id start with Miller, but then I would have bought him out after last season.

well perhaps we can dump Burrows to a team looking to reach the salary cap floor. I would just prefer to see the roster turnover continue even If it means eating some money in buyouts or salary retention.

I'd love for Miller to get the boot out of town but we know that won't happen with Jimmy boy running things.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
so a offensive winger that hasn't hit PPG yet is better than a center that have won like 3 selke?
#OnlyHFboard

Hutton doesn't get beat wide easily
Horvat will be a 20 year NHL player
Yanick Weber is the devil
Vrbata/Hamhuis will get 1st round picks

Only on HFB

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Gaunce may be getting it together now as a winger, but right now the team needs his energy and size up the middle. Vey's the resurrection of Bryan McSheffrey....

Bryan McSheffrey! Are you sure you're not thinking of Richard Lemieux?

And yeah, bring on Gaunce at center. Might as well, at this point.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Need to go:

Burrows
Higgins
Dorsett
Prust
Bartkowski
Weber
Vey
Miller
Sbisa
Sutter

$30M wasted right there.

30M spent right would've guaranteed Aquaman some playoff money this year, maybe even some 2nd round action.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
30M spent right would've guaranteed Aquaman some playoff money this year, maybe even some 2nd round action.

Before we talk of an actual playoff series victory, maybe go back and look at the UFA pool last summer.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Vey isn't good but it's not like we have anything else right now. Friesen has been hurt and Grenier is more of a winger.

We told you about Biega for two seasons. We told you what was coming in Pedan since last March and he's still developing as a real serious hockey player, not a plug fighter! He has great hands, skatesd very well, is physical, passes well, and has a cannon for a shot, and is valuable on the rush either as the puck carrier or just becoming the extra man on the rush. Not many paid a world of attention, but act surprised when these guys can actually outplay regular roster players.

Well right now we have another one for you. There's a guy in Utica right now who puts Vey in the back seat with ease. He is currently the best forward on the Comets and that means better than all of the 1st rounders in town. He can play center (his natural position) and either wing, good forechecker, excellent in his own end, good stick handler, good play maker, great penalty killer. In his infinite wisdom Benning saw fit not to extend him a contract at the end of his first pro season last year (another Gillis signed player). Resign Mike Zalewski and get him to Vancouver in place of Vey. If Benning doesn't sign this kid, some other franchise will once his AHL contract runs out this spring. He's not a first liner, but he is NHL talent.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
We told you about Biega for two seasons. We told you what was coming in Pedan since last March and he's still developing as a real serious hockey player, not a plug fighter! He has great hands, skatesd very well, is physical, passes well, and has a cannon for a shot, and is valuable on the rush either as the puck carrier or just becoming the extra man on the rush. Not many paid a world of attention, but act surprised when these guys can actually outplay regular roster players.

Well right now we have another one for you. There's a guy in Utica right now who puts Vey in the back seat with ease. He is currently the best forward on the Comets and that means better than all of the 1st rounders in town. He can play center (his natural position) and either wing, good forechecker, excellent in his own end, good stick handler, good play maker, great penalty killer. In his infinite wisdom Benning saw fit not to extend him a contract at the end of his first pro season last year (another Gillis signed player). Resign Mike Zalewski and get him to Vancouver in place of Vey. If Benning doesn't sign this kid, some other franchise will once his AHL contract runs out this spring. He's not a first liner, but he is NHL talent.

That's not entirely fair. Many of us were excited to see what Pedan could do at the NHL level based primarily on reports on how he was doing in Utica.

As for Zalewski, I'm sure the Canucks are listening closely to Green in addition to scouting him themselves.

Brock Boeser

Mar 11, 2013
Burrows has been our swiss army knife basically all year being penciled into lines that take a hit on his offensive production. A guy like him should never be bought out. It's Burrowsssss people.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver

I know who Mike Zalewski is, I was here discussing it when Gillis signed him as a college UFA. I've watched his first NHL game. I know he's having a very good season.

The reason I didn't list him above is because he's not under contract with the Canucks, just Utica.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad