Rumor: KINGS 2018-19 Season - The Luc and Rob Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I don't think the Leafs would be looking for a defenseman like Muzzin as part of a return for Nylander IF they decide to deal him. Muzzin has 2 years left on his deal and is going to be 30 in February.

Think more along the lines of Brandon Montour, Brett Pesce/Jacob Slavin or Colton Parayko. Guys in their mid 20's, already tied to long term contracts that are palatable.

Don't think they would have a keen interest in Toffoli. I think at some point this season, they will give Andreas Johnsson a shot at the top 6. He had a rough start to the season but is beginning to settle in. Was fantastic for the Marlies last season in their run to the Calder Cup. Nice offensive upside.

They also have Timashov, Engvall and Trevor Moore sitting on the farm who could be contributors in the next year or two.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Any interest in Todd McLellan now he's available? Seen a Twitter post stating John Shannon saying Kings might be interested.

He's so good but we're so nice we'll let him out of his contract for a 3rd round pick.
:wg:

F no!!! Sutter outcoached McLellan throughout his tenure in LA. McLellan is not what we need in LA. We will take a 2nd from Edmonton hire him for a season and get you out of the contract.

Reactions: yankeeking

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Re: Blake

Every day, AEG should require a daily report submitted by 5 PM, in which he must state what the 3 main problems are (they may change daily) and what he has done this day
to address these 3 problems. What players should be moved and why. Why do the players have no emotion, urgency, or the effort required to win. What can be done about this?
What GMs has he spoken to TODAY and synopsis of what players he is targeting . What (college / CHL) free agents are being scouted currently.

By December 1, he must submit a full evaluation of: coaching staff, scouting, all development team, a brief overview of EACH PLAYER, what Adam Oates has done so far, and give an analysis / critique
of his own job. And finally, a blueprint of what must be accomplished this season, from this point. And a 1 year plan, a 2 year plan and a 3 year plan. Including what is the Vision.

I had a boss like this once...while not having to do a daily report, sure made you do your job...no excuses. No one to blame. Accountability!

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I think the problem may go higher than Robitaille and Blake. Dan Beckerman is their boss and oversees both the Galaxy and the Kings. In the time he has been in charge each franchise has gone from the penthouse to the outhouse.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Robitaille has any business being in his current position, but Beckerman is the man who put him in that position.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Re: Blake

Every day, AEG should require a daily report submitted by 5 PM, in which he must state what the 3 main problems are (they may change daily) and what he has done this day
to address these 3 problems. What players should be moved and why. Why do the players have no emotion, urgency, or the effort required to win. What can be done about this?
What GMs has he spoken to TODAY and synopsis of what players he is targeting . What (college / CHL) free agents are being scouted currently.

By December 1, he must submit a full evaluation of: coaching staff, scouting, all development team, a brief overview of EACH PLAYER, what Adam Oates has done so far, and give an analysis / critique
of his own job. And finally, a blueprint of what must be accomplished this season, from this point. And a 1 year plan, a 2 year plan and a 3 year plan. Including what is the Vision.

I had a boss like this once...while not having to do a daily report, sure made you do your job...no excuses. No one to blame. Accountability!

Considering Blake's boss (Robitaille) insists this team is a contender, I don't think the long term vision is of any consequence.

Also, considering the fluidity of sports, expecting daily reports and how to resolve problems is not a realistic expectation, in my opinion.

I think Blake and Robitaille need to have an honest assessment of the state of the team and how they plan to construct the team with how they actually want the team to play. Because right now, the team is not capable of playing the way Blake wants them to, and at best we can expect them to play better next season after they've had more time to play an uptempo game.

This isn't me excusing the team, mind you. I just don't think it was realistic to expect this core who has played a certain way to change drastically in one off season to match the higher speed demands. They had Terry Murray teach the X's and O's on offense, and when he had run his course, Sutter adjusted a different attitude but maintained a similar structure, which led to great success. After Sutter ran his course, Stevens made another adjustment to tweak the execution, and the star players responded, but it was still focused on making defense the primary objective.

This year, they wanted the Kings to play faster, have more open ice, and allow more opportunities against. Changing the way you play takes longer to be executed properly compared to building off of the way you play.

This is even considering Blake's goal is to have a fast team. Damacles brought up a good point that while Kopitar has lost weight to try to gain speed, he's been muscled off the puck easier. Of course, Kopitar's play is not acceptable, but I think we all know he's better than this. Doughty, too.

The players need to play better, no doubt, but Stevens was not the right coach to try to enforce a more uptempo game. Blake should have kept him as an assistant coach to help with the defense, where he excelled, and never promoted him to head coach in the first place. Now Blake needs to examine his roster and determine who he wants to keep to actually execute the style of play that he wants. Right now, he's essentially told a mostly held together core since 2014 to change how they play and expecting them to be able to do so.

Lombardi identified issues with the locker room when he first game in. He traded away Pavol Demitra, for example, because he missed games when he was hurt versus missing games because he was injured. He wanted a team that was tough to play against, so he brought in players like Thornton.

I was willing to give Blake a pass last season to see who was on the roster who was able and willing to play the way he wanted to play, and then after they were swept by Vegas, he thought he would just sign a free agent and tell the players to do the same thing, only differently, and expect the same results. Trading for Hagelin is one move to bring in a player to execute a faster game, but it's not enough to right the ship.

I can only hope Blake realizes this is pretty much a lost season, and he trades some players who need a change of scenery and brings in young players and picks that he can build around and mold into his own vision.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
F no!!! Sutter outcoached McLellan throughout his tenure in LA. McLellan is not what we need in LA. We will take a 2nd from Edmonton hire him for a season and get you out of the contract.

So the Kings would now be paying 4 contracts to coaches? If
McLellan sucked with all that talent in both EDM and SJ how would he help the Kings? P.A.S.S.

Reactions: yankeeking

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
John Hoven few days ago mentioned Todd McLellan.
Screenshot_20181124-021008_Twitter.jpg

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Meanwhile, Kupari is rising. These days will pass and a year from now, the Kings will be a completely different team, with Kupari, Vilardi, and one of: Hughes, Dach, Kakko, Cozens, JAD and Brickley and Clague...and 1-3 players from the trade deadline deals.

as posted by SuperAlmeida
From Twitter:

"Rasmus Kupari showing that he has just got this season started. Best player on ice by a mile right now. Solid frame and high end skater shows his work ethic constantly and seems so much more confident than before, making great plays ecery shift and oh scored a beauty #GoKingsGo"

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Meanwhile, Kupari is rising. These days will pass and a year from now, the Kings will be a completely different team, with Kupari, and one of: Hughes, Dach, Kakko, Cozens, JAD and Brickley
and Clague...and 1-3 players from the trade deadline deals.

From Twitter:

"Rasmus Kupari showing that he has just got this season started. Best player on ice by a mile right now. Solid frame and high end skater shows his work ethic constantly and seems so much more confident than before, making great plays ecery shift and oh scored a beauty #GoKingsGo"

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I am all for turning the page. Blake needs to remove the players with the "just glad to live in LA" attitude though.

On Thanksgiving weekend here is an indication of how bad this Kings team sucks: No NHL team other than the Kings is more than two games under .500. The Kings are SIX games under .500. These players truly do not care. Quite a few of them, and some with huge contracts, can't get shipped out fast enough for my liking.

Reactions: King Trouty

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Meanwhile, Kupari is rising. These days will pass and a year from now, the Kings will be a completely different team, with Kupari, and one of: Hughes, Dach, Kakko, Cozens, JAD and Brickley
and Clague...and 1-3 players from the trade deadline deals.

From Twitter:

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Amen-brother-gif.gif

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
And just like the situation here, how much of it is on the players? I'd say a lot.

I do think McLellan has gotten a little bit of a bad rap for the Sharks not being able to get over the hump, yet you have to admit considering the kinds of talent he's had to work with, you can't really say he's been amazing either.

I think he'll find another job, but hopefully it's not here. But his systems aren't problematic like some others imo. He likes an upbeat game, and remember he was a big proponent of that 'chaos' that SJ and CHI used on us with great effectiveness.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
San Jose choked before, during, and after McLellan. I think he's one of the better coaches out there, he's always been about accountability and is a straight shooter. I'm not sure if he's the best coach for this Kings team going forward, but choking in the playoffs is the least of our worries right now.

I found this interesting (since 2002)

Points per game over tenure:

Regular Season:

Wilson - 1.22
McLellan - 1.27
DeBoer - 1.21

Playoff win %

Wilson - 54%
McLellan - 48%
DeBoer - 55%

Not a ton of variation there, McLellan is slightly better in the regular season and slightly worse in the playoffs. It doesn't really matter who their coach is, apparently.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Watching the Pens - Cbus game. Tanner scored his 3rd goal. So I need to get the 'King Projection Conversion Chart' done and get it to Blake.
So he can send this ANONYMOUSLY COVERTLY to GMs, (from a Saskatchewan address) to show the actual value of his players, by how much better they are off of the Kings.

170118-9
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
So you can project how good a King players production will be off the Kings.
Since Pearson had 0 goals on the Kings, there's no multiple to work with, unfortunately, but its a very
conservative projection to use 2x to work with current Kings.

Kovalchuk
Kings
2159146-12
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Off Kings
211018286-6
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Toffoli
Kings
2157120-5
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Off Kings
211014240-2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Doughty
Kings
211111210-9
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Off Kings
212222410-4
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Carter
Kings
21461010-7
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Off Kings
218122010-3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Kopitar
Kings
206392-2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Off Kings
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Iafallo
Kings
214598-3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Off Kings
21810188-1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Blake on phone with GM "Yes, I have seen this chart too...same person sent it to me. It's a sick joke, in a way.
I was not amused...."well, last time we spoke about Tyler...is there a way we can make this work?" Blake "well you and I both know, Tyler scores 30 goals with you, So yes, add your #1 pick"

Last edited:
Reactions: BringTheReign
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad