Rumor: KINGS 2018-19 Season - The Luc and Rob ****show Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piston

Fire Luc and Blake
Jun 14, 2006
Santa Monica/Salt Lake
Hey now give Luc some respect. While Lombardi was piecing together a mini-dynasty, Luc also played a pivotal role. That jersey didn’t design itself.

Anything that the Kings have accomplished is in spite of Luc, not because of him, IMO. He strikes me as a not too bright behind the back schemer who has gotten by with a friendly personality and charm. I doubt there is much business sense there. How he has convinced AEG to let him essentially take control of the team is beyond me. Then again, PA is an old man who seems disengaged and who has already accomplished all his goals in downtown Los Angeles. Our only hope is that Dan Beckerman cares enough about his job and legacy that he brings in a New President.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
But trading him could be a more likely venture when he's at 8.5 as opposed to 10.

Which is easily rectified with retention, if this organization is at the point where they're trading Kopitar the cap becomes irrelevant. This ship's not being turned around in a year, Kovalchuk, Carter, Phaneuf, Muzzin, Martinez will all be gone by the time we're competitive again and the spoils of our rebuild/retool/refool are hitting 2nd/3rd contracts and we need to start thinking about the cap again.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I see your pessimism but am unsure where it stems from. There are no other Stanley Cup winning goalies out there with a Conn Smythe and a very palatable salary after 2020. Muzzin may be the best D-man available at the deadline, and he is signed for another season also at a very reasonable rate. There will be at least a #1 for each of them coming back if not more.

Everything has to break perfectly regarding Quick, Muzzin, and Carter which is unlikely to happen.

Quick has a good pedigree but the market for goalies right now among the serious SC contenders is pretty limited. The Columbus G situation is very fluid right now and I don't think it helps the Kings leverage. And as many have mentioned (and history shows), goaltenders tend not to get the best returns compared to position players. [edit] If Quick is traded it is probably going to be at the draft where more teams will be looking at their roster longer term. Still don't see him getting a 1st though unless it is full of conditions.

Muzzin should get a very good return likely to be a late 1st and a prospect that is perhaps 6-10 on another team's list. More than anyone on the team, though, if they trade Muzzin they are looking at a 5 year rebuild. The D will be very bad for a very long time and I'm not sure that is something Blake can stomach.

Carter would be lucky to return a late 2nd. The only team that sort of makes sense is Colorado since they are pretending to be contenders this year and have cap space available. Cap strapped teams (which is most of the contenders) will likely go nowhere near Carter due to his cap hit of over $5 million for the next 3 years. I suppose Buffalo is another option as well.

Anyway, not criticizing you just pointing out that things are not likely to break as neatly as you outlined.

Last edited:

Piston

Fire Luc and Blake
Jun 14, 2006
Santa Monica/Salt Lake
31 Thoughts: Buyers, sellers emerging ahead of NHL Trade Deadline - Sportsnet.ca

"11. Unless an absolute game-changer drops into their lap, expect Colorado to be patient. They’ve got Cale Makar and Ottawa’s first-rounder. They know they’ve got plenty coming."

Would you do Doughty for Makar and Ottawa's #1? Avs are in win now mode, we clear DD's contract off the books. Would hate to lose Drew but we aren't winning with him in the next 2-3 years.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
31 Thoughts: Buyers, sellers emerging ahead of NHL Trade Deadline - Sportsnet.ca

"11. Unless an absolute game-changer drops into their lap, expect Colorado to be patient. They’ve got Cale Makar and Ottawa’s first-rounder. They know they’ve got plenty coming."

Would you do Doughty for Makar and Ottawa's #1? Avs are in win now mode, we clear DD's contract off the books. Would hate to lose Drew but we aren't winning with him in the next 2-3 years.

The relevant question is whether Colorado would do that trade and I really doubt they would. Their core is young and Makar and the pick would solidify their roster for the next decade. Especially knowing the pick could be 1OA or 2OA. And saying Colorado is in "win now" mode really is quite a stretch. They are nowhere near in win now mode.

Reactions: KingsFan7824

Piston

Fire Luc and Blake
Jun 14, 2006
Santa Monica/Salt Lake
Everything has to break perfectly regarding Quick, Muzzin, and Carter which is unlikely to happen.

Quick has a good pedigree but the market for goalies right now among the serious SC contenders is pretty limited. The Columbus G situation is very fluid right now and I don't think it helps the Kings leverage. And as many have mentioned (and history shows), goaltenders tend not to get the best returns compared to position players. [edit] If Quick is traded it is probably going to be at the draft where more teams will be looking at their roster longer term. Still don't see him getting a 1st though unless it is full of conditions.

Columbus is precisely the team where Quick could end up. They need to get rid of Bob who has shown a poor attitude and won't re-sign with them, and they get cost certainty with a SC winning goalie plus money freed up for Panarin. They just need to find a place to park Bob where he'll wave his NMC.

Muzzin should get a very good return likely to be a late 1st and a prospect that is perhaps 6-10 on another team's list. More than anyone on the team, though, if they trade Muzzin they are looking at a 5 year rebuild. The D will be very bad for a very long time and I'm not sure that is something Blake can stomach.

I think we are looking at a 3 year rebuild minimum with or without Muzzin. Jake turns 30 soon and won't be as good when we are ready to compete. Get what we can- Toronto seems like a great landing spot given Jake is signed for a reasonable cap hit for next year and Gardiner is leaving. More money for them to re-sign matthews and Marner.

Carter would be lucky to return a late 2nd. The only team that sort of makes sense is Colorado since they are pretending to be contenders this year and have cap space available. Cap strapped teams (which is most of the contenders) will likely go nowhere near Carter due to his cap hit of over $5 million for the next 3 years. I suppose Buffalo is another option as well.

Here is where we disagree. Winnipeg needs another center, so does Pittsburgh. You can always park him in the AHL for the last two years of his contract when the cash payments are really low.

Anyway, not criticizing you just pointing out that things are not likely to break as neatly as you outlined.

I don't take this as criticism, only honest debate which helps me see the other side of the coin.

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
As always, it's the 8 years that are the real issue. Five years and $45M or even $50M, fine.
Right. But then again, there's no chance Kopi or any other elite player leaving 3 years on the table on a UFA deal. So it goes back to, do you give him 8 years or trade him? And like I said, a trade wasn't really an option at that point.

Reactions: crassbonanza

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Right. But then again, there's no chance Kopi or any other elite player leaving 3 years on the table on a UFA deal. So it goes back to, do you give him 8 years or trade him? And like I said, a trade wasn't really an option at that point.
Trade him during the summer before the contract was signed. It's not that hard.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Many mistakes:

1. Not using compliance buyout on Richards.
2. Giving into Kopitar's contract demands. No reasonable deal by Aug 1, time to make a trade.
3. Never should have signed Lucic.

Dean got too wrapped up in the idea of family. His reticence regarding the Kopitar contract shows his instincts were correct, but I think he got to overthinking it. I also think Robitaille got involved somehow in the negotiation, but I can't be sure.

Write the book Dean. :)

He didn't sign Lucic

Reactions: deaderhead28

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015

I live 7 miles from Pepsi Ctr and go to a few Avs game and the 2 times the Kings are here. The Avs apparently took my name and contact off their site, when I purchased tickets
and they called me the following week and wanted to know about my experience and if I wanted a mini plan, for the balance of the season...I chose to just talk hockey and that
I'm a Kings fan that moved here in 2006 and just go to a few games. I told him its a great fan experience at pepsi and it's fun to watch MacKinon, Rantanen and Landeskog -
I then also brought up "when is Cale Makar going to sign? After this year?"...the guy fully went off on how high the Avs are on him and how he's the best player in college
hockey now...of course, it's just a rep hyping a prospect...but it's pretty much true. Cale Makar has the makings of a #1 defenseman and I do not think they are trading
him...also think if the Avs moved a pick, it would be theirs and not the Ottawa one.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

I hope St. Louis is this dumb.

12. A number of contenders were liking how many teams were giving up on the season, hoping it meant a buyers’ market as some clubs worried they wouldn’t be able to deal unwanted assets. If you’ve got a true difference-maker, that’s one thing, but how many of those are truly available?
The crazy race for the second wild card in the Western Conference has altered this somewhat, as a few of those teams might sit a little longer to see if they gain momentum.

One of those who might choose to wait is St. Louis. Missing the playoffs in 2017–18 was very hard on their ticket renewals, and this was supposed to be a rebound season. Instead, it’s been a nightmare. That said, they’ve crept within four points of Minnesota currently in the final playoff position.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Yeah, if they can find a way to fix the goaltending the Avs are going to be a formidable team for the next 8 years. I have not seen Makar play much since UMass isn't on a ton, but most everyone who follows college hockey closely says he is going to be a 1st pairing guy right away (possibly this Spring), with franchise defender upside. So they will have him and whoever they get this year on ELC's for three years likely as big contributors, couldn't ask for a better situation. That is why Quick would likely be very appealing to the Avs. Or anyone else who isn't signed super long term but may be a little overpaid.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON

The one thing here is it’s likely the cap continues to go upwards so if your looking down the road, his number doesn’t look as bad.

So how many years do you really have to absorb his cap number? Maybe 2, you could buy him out in the final year or maybe flip him to a team with cap space looking to get to the floor.

I would tend to agree regarding the return, I can’t see more than a 2nd plus another pick or prospect. To be honest, I would be ok with that as you are getting his number off the books and he’s no spring chicken.

Reactions: YP44

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
very much so.

At the time I liked the deal. A backup goalie and a 1st for a retained presumed top line LW. Issue was the NHL became a speed league and Lucic's game could not keep up.
The real issue was Lucic played a style which wore his body down, he was 27 years old at the time of the trade, and way past his prime.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
The relevant question is whether Colorado would do that trade and I really doubt they would. Their core is young and Makar and the pick would solidify their roster for the next decade. Especially knowing the pick could be 1OA or 2OA. And saying Colorado is in "win now" mode really is quite a stretch. They are nowhere near in win now mode.

I was under the impression that the Avs are a budget team, so adding an 88 million dollar contract might not be an option for them. Plus they're looking at having to sign Rantanen who might suddenly be their highest paid guy.

Reactions: KingsFan7824

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I think its very unrealistic to ask for Ottawa's pick from the Avs. Highly doubt they'll give away a potential top 5 pick

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I was under the impression that the Avs are a budget team, so adding an 88 million dollar contract might not be an option for them. Plus they're looking at having to sign Rantanen who might suddenly be their highest paid guy.

We agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad