Rumor: KINGS 2018-19 Season - The Luc and Rob ****show Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
What would be the issue ending up like SJ? They have a pretty solid roster as it stands. Their systems looks to be rather well stocked and they have been in the playoffs consistently. As long as you get to that ticket punched to the post season, anything can happen.

Is it because they haven't been able to get over the hump and win it all?

How is success measured once you have rebuilt or retooled the roster? Is it becoming a consistent playoff team and winning a round, maybe two? Or is it winning the Cup multiple times in a short time frame?

Curious as to what people's thoughts are.

SJ has always been the way they are now, cupboard stocked, what looks to be a good team, and they crash and burn, EVERY single time. People love to talk about culture, etc, Imagine this fanbase after that those performances, they would be chomping at the bit to get rid of everybody and everyone, and have nothing to show for it.

I don't know, a ton of people on here want to believe that Kings suck because of talent....I think it's lack of effort/loss of culture/identity.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
We all hate losing. When you are bad on purpose and have some young guys that give hope for the future, then it isn't as bad. When you are trying to be good and are awful? It is the worst. That's what we have now and I can't recall a season as discouraging as this one.

People also complain about tanking. When you're putting your best foot forward, and you still suck, there's some sort of intangible respect from that. Well, at least we didn't tank to get the best young players. We got them on merit. We tried, and we're just not good. If you tank, and it doesn't work, everyone laughs. If you tank, and it works, who cares, haters gonna hate. If you lose with pride, you get nothing for it, but good for you. If you win with pride, you can look back and say we did it the right way. The only thing that makes any decision right is winning, the rest is just justifications and rationalizations.

What would be the issue ending up like SJ? They have a pretty solid roster as it stands. Their systems looks to be rather well stocked and they have been in the playoffs consistently. As long as you get to that ticket punched to the post season, anything can happen.

How is success measured once you have rebuilt or retooled the roster? Is it becoming a consistent playoff team and winning a round, maybe two? Or is it winning the Cup multiple times in a short time frame?

It's the eternal debate in sports. Would you trade a decade of crap for 1 championship at the end of the decade? Or, a decade of contention, but no championship? If the championship is guaranteed, that's one thing. If it's not, that could be something else.

In all likelihood, we saw the best 3 years of Kings hockey we'll ever see. At least in a normal period of time. 30 years from now, if the league still exists, maybe they put something together for a year. Most teams don't luck out like Pittsburgh did with Lemieux/Jagr and then Crosby/Malkin within a decade of each other. Although their Cups came further apart than that.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
StL says, "um.... thanks for including us in your short list of Cup winning teams. Could you post something similar in the Blues forum? thanks..."

**** StL! :laugh:

:laugh:

I just meant in terms of you knew who the top contenders were, you knew they were all going after the same players, you knew that prices were going to be driven up by 5-6 teams going for it.

Now there's a fresh batch of teams ready to do the same.

100% f***ing this, absolutely.

The only fans who say "I'd rather be competitive for longer than win a Cup and flame out" are fans of teams who haven't won a cup in the last 40 years because they have no clue.

I would be absolutely livid if the Kings hadn't won a Cup this decade but were merely 2nd round fodder the entire time. I will never understand--other than from a playoff revenue, business sense standpoint--any argument that we'd rather be in the Ducks or Sharks position of being 'merely good' for ages rather than having won and supernovaed spectacularly, leaving a black hole behind.

I mean, do you see how mad people are that we haven't even won 1 round? Can you imagine a decade or two of that, with an extra round or two peppered in?

Reactions: TruKingFan

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Where I give the Sharks credit is being bold. Bringing in Evander Kane and Karlsson was bold. Dealing for and flipping Hoffman was brilliant. Sharks GM is working every angle to not just keep them competitive but keep them in the contender bracket. They are what three year removed from a finals appearance (forget if it went Pittsburgh vs San Jose than vs Nashville or the other way).

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The players are a big part of a team's culture/identity. If the players don't have enough character to play like professionals every night, then it's time to get some new players.

If we didn't have the issues with contracts we have today, based solely on character and trying to show the kids coming into the organization how to play with a crown tattooed on your ass, I would keep Brown, Lewis, Muzzin, and Doughty (if he could live through another rebuild -- that had to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard him say). The rest? Bye!

I would include Quick in the keep him category, but the Kings can't hold Petersen back much longer, and if you can get something for Quick now or in the off season, it has to be done.

Reactions: LAKings88

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
People also complain about tanking. When you're putting your best foot forward, and you still suck, there's some sort of intangible respect from that. Well, at least we didn't tank to get the best young players. We got them on merit. We tried, and we're just not good. If you tank, and it doesn't work, everyone laughs. If you tank, and it works, who cares, haters gonna hate. If you lose with pride, you get nothing for it, but good for you. If you win with pride, you can look back and say we did it the right way. The only thing that makes any decision right is winning, the rest is just justifications and rationalizations.

The fans of a team have nothing to do with this. It's not the fault of Kings fans that Kopitar, Toffoli, and Carter, etc. don't care most nights. That and outside of Muzzin and Doughty the Kings really aren't very good on the back end.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The players are a big part of a team's culture/identity. If the players don't have enough character to play like professionals every night, then it's time to get some new players.

If we didn't have the issues with contracts we have today, based solely on character and trying to show the kids coming into the organization how to play with a crown tattooed on your ass, I would keep Brown, Lewis, Muzzin, and Doughty (if he could live through another rebuild -- that had to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard him say). The rest? Bye!

I would include Quick in the keep him category, but the Kings can't hold Petersen back much longer, and if you can get something for Quick now or in the off season, it has to be done.

I assume you are talking just veterans, not kids such as Kempe, Walker, Wagner, etc....

If you are dealing solely on character, Forbort for me is in that list, as is Thompson

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
Dude, this has been going on since 2014...how much more time do they need to figure out how to deal with the situation? IT....IS....RIDICULOUS.
I think Voynov is a lost cause. The Kings are entering full rebuild mode and the old is making way for the new. If he ever gets back to the NHL, going to another team would be the best for all concerned.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think Voynov is a lost cause. The Kings are entering full rebuild mode and the old is making way for the new. If he ever gets back to the NHL, going to another team would be the best for all concerned.

I think he's a lost cause here, but that's a free asset that's continually depreciating for no visible public reason other than the NHL is just sitting on its hands, while Watson got an expedient solve.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Where I give the Sharks credit is being bold. Bringing in Evander Kane and Karlsson was bold. Dealing for and flipping Hoffman was brilliant. Sharks GM is working every angle to not just keep them competitive but keep them in the contender bracket. They are what three year removed from a finals appearance (forget if it went Pittsburgh vs San Jose than vs Nashville or the other way).

What's helped is a guy like Pavelski not falling off a cliff as he got older. He's had a $6m hit for the last 5 years, and right now he's looking at no less than 66 points in any of those seasons, and he's currently 34, and will be 35 in July. Thornton was 30 in 2009, and was pretty damn consistent from his early to mid 30's. Burns will be 34 in March, and his most productive seasons have come since turning 30, and this season might end up as his highest scoring season. Add that to guys like Meier and Hertl that have actually become that 2nd wave of young guys behind the vets. Plus Couture, Kane, and now Eriksson.

Had the Sharks won in 2009 or 2010, maybe it's all different. Maybe the Kings don't end up winning when they did, and today they have cheaper vets that are more hungry, while the Sharks have already broken down years ago and had to pay for their Cup(s).

It's funny how it's played out since the 0-3 comeback. The Sharks weren't exactly a young team in 2014, then missed the playoffs in 2015, then made the Final in 2016, then got worse and went out in the 1st round in 2017, and are 5th in GF this year, a hair away from 3rd overall. Somewhere in there I think Thornton was publicly telling his GM to shut up. I think that was after 2014 anyway.

The fans of a team have nothing to do with this. It's not the fault of Kings fans that Kopitar, Toffoli, and Carter, etc. don't care most nights. That and outside of Muzzin and Doughty the Kings really aren't very good on the back end.

The credit didn't go to fans when Kopitar, Toffoli, Carter, etc, did care either. Yeah, we fans have nothing to do with anything that teams do. I'm not sure what you're getting at. I meant between fan bases, there's some sort of honor if your favorite team doesn't tank, but can still manage to do something. When it comes to the trash talking. Fans of a team that wins by tanking don't care if the team tanked and ended up successful.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I think he's a lost cause here, but that's a free asset that's continually depreciating for no visible public reason other than the NHL is just sitting on its hands, while Watson got an expedient solve.

Was wondering yesterday if there is anything new on Voynov? Him not playing for a year definately hurts his value IMO

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I'm going to guess they've been waiting until this season because this was to be Voynov's last year on the contract. They'll figure out a way to make him a UFA after this year, and then we won't have to worry about whatever low value he has. Maybe they won't let the Kings profit from him, especially after Lombardi did his little practice thing.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
There is no one formula to win a cup.

You need to have at least a couple of game changers in one form or another tho.

So much has to come together for a championship.

Probably easier to say what you shouldn’t do.

Peter James Bond II

BRANDT CLARKE 23-24 CALDER
Mar 5, 2015
Was looking over Hagelin's stats....I recall he didn't do much in Anaheim and when he went to the Penguins during 2015-16, was looking at his stats....they were insane.

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
and then in the playoffs too...6 goals and 16 points in 24 games. And winning the Stanley Cup.

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
One crazy thing, of the 27 points in 37 games, ZERO PP points and 2 SH pts. Impressive. Most players scoring .8 pts per game, usually have about .2 ppg PP to
have decent numbers like that. Kopi has 31 pts in 46 games. .67 ppg. Hagelin's 2016 ppg .72 Crazy. Makes you wonder if they should put him on line 2
and put Leipsic back down to line 3. I don't think he's playing that great...but he wasn't doing much on the Ducks either and goes to Pens and goes on a sick tear.
(and NO, not everyone was scoring buckets of points on the Pens) Seriously, if I was asked, how many points do you think Carl Hagelin had, in the last 37 games
leading to Pittsburgh's Cup run? I would say...10? maybe 12? Not 27. 96 shots? Plus 18 in 37 games.
I'm impressed.

Reactions: KINGS17

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
It’s looking like the Jackets are going to trade Bobrovsky, which means they could use a goalie for their playoff run...who better fit than good ol Quickie? Since we don’t need Bobrovsky they’d have to send him elsewhere. Possibly 3 way trade? What could we possibly get from Columbus for Quick?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
It’s looking like the Jackets are going to trade Bobrovsky, which means they could use a goalie for their playoff run...who better fit than good ol Quickie? Since we don’t need Bobrovsky they’d have to send him elsewhere. Possibly 3 way trade? What could we possibly get from Columbus for Quick?

The Columbus management love their backup for some reason

Piston

Fire Luc and Blake
Jun 14, 2006
Santa Monica/Salt Lake

This looks like it could definitely happen. Columbus has a Cup window open now and needs cost certainty at the goaltender position as well as someone with experience in making a deep run. Quick fits the bill and is much cheaper than Bob and is better in the locker room. It frees up money for them to re-sign Panarin as well. Bob has apparently offered to waive his NMC for the right team. Toronto makes a lot of sense here for a rental for this year's playoffs. Kings can receive the BJs #1 pick this year, a #3 next year and a #3-5 prospect in their system in return.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I don't know a lot about the Blue Jackets prospects, but it doesn't appear they have any defensemen that are in the age range that should interest the Kings.

Maybe ask for Liam Foudy? Maybe Kevin Stenlund and a 1st round pick?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I don't know a lot about the Blue Jackets prospects, but it doesn't appear they have any defensemen that are in the age range that should interest the Kings.

Maybe ask for Liam Foudy? Maybe Kevin Stenlund and a 1st round pick?
They were rumoured to be shopping Jenner. He isn't the prospect I would be looking for but would be a good pickup. If LA had to take BOB back I think Edmonton would potentially overpay for him. Given Bob's contract expires at the end of the year LA could retain on him too.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Columbus has their own soon to be 25 year old RFA goalie. Someone on Bob's list also has to want to trade for him. Even though they could get him for nothing in the summer, should a team on his list even need a goalie come summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad