Post-Game Talk: Kings 2, Canucks 0: Just five more games, friends

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
I know you're not alone with this opinion, but dam, Edler was pretty freaking solid in this game. He set up countless players for great looks at the net, was generally sound defensively and played a fairly physical game ... for a team that's out of the the playoff picture.

What exactly do you expect? :popcorn:

"Just barely enough". :)

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Great points, and I hear ya;

Can you honestly say he has given his all: his best, this year?

He's just putting in 'just enough' of an effort in the end.
IMHO.

Well, if you're voting for team mvp, you can't put him lower than 4th. I think people get annoyed that he never looks annoyed. If you feel he's been mailing it in, I guess you just think of him more highly than most. If this is Edler coasting, I guess he's a top 10 dman, I just don't think that's true.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Well, if you're voting for team mvp, you can't put him lower than 4th. I think people get annoyed that he never looks annoyed. If you feel he's been mailing it in, I guess you just think of him more highly than most. If this is Edler coasting, I guess he's a top 10 dman, I just don't think that's true.

Just my thoughts, but if we start rating people starting around fourth..

Not annoyed, just looking at the big picture.

Love your passion concerning the big Ed. I really do.

He is a lazy, complacent, cancer-causing player on our roster, that has no desire to win, but just to get paid. IMHO.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Pretty apparent Goldy will be in the AHL next year....don't expect him to start the season with the Canucks....looking more and more like another 'Emerson Etem' acquisition.

But playing the guy with Sutter, you might as well have sat him out......supposedly Sutter is a centre, but the guy can't set up anyone......and tell me again what Chaput adds to the Sedin line?

But doesn't much matter anyway....five more games and then out comes the broom....guys needs to pay the price with their jobs for this sorry season.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Definition of futility. Canucks didn't their best to do something against a team that looked totally disinterested. Looked like Kopitar thought he was wearing a blue jersey the way he was passing the puck to us all game. Couldn't have set up Horvat any better in the slot. Actually LA might be in worst shape than us moving ahead. Got a ton of money (like around 16 mill.) tied up in Kopitar and Brown for several years.

New guy Milano looked liked a speedy college player. (I guess b/c that what he is). These types whiz around but rarely get anything done. Can't see this player having any impact but who knows. Is another player that makes the team smaller.

Stecher and Tryamkin had periods of good play and are probably as good as we got right now on the back end. Tanev looks hurt again (a major reason to consider a trade) and needs to be sat down. But I guess Willie won't do anything till Tanev is throughly beaten into a pulp. Every team goes right after Tanev and bangs him around but the team never does anything to stop it.

Liked Boeser. Smart with the puck. Too bad he missed that shot

Guys like Boucher and Baerschi are really fading.

Goldobin wasn't good and neither was his line. Looks like Sutter has packed it in.

Thought I heard Biega say that you don't know whose watching and you wonder if he'd like being picked up in the ED.

Imagine the tank thread will be up on Day 1 next year. Maybe in the pre-season

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Definition of futility. Canucks didn't their best to do something against a team that looked totally disinterested. Looked like Kopitar thought he was wearing a blue jersey the way he was passing the puck to us all game. Couldn't have set up Horvat any better in the slot. Actually LA might be in worst shape than us moving ahead. Got a ton of money (like around 16 mill.) tied up in Kopitar and Brown for several years.

New guy Milano looked liked a speedy college player. (I guess b/c that what he is). These types whiz around but rarely get anything done. Can't see this player having any impact but who knows. Is another player that makes the team smaller.

Stecher and Tryamkin had periods of good play and are probably as good as we got right now on the back end. Tanev looks hurt again (a major reason to consider a trade) and needs to be sat down. But I guess Willie won't do anything till Tanev is throughly beaten into a pulp. Every team goes right after Tanev and bangs him around but the team never does anything to stop it.

Liked Boeser. Smart with the puck. Too bad he missed that shot

Guys like Boucher and Baerschi are really fading.

Goldobin wasn't good and neither was his line. Looks like Sutter has packed it in.

Thought I heard Biega say that you don't know whose watching and you wonder if he'd like being picked up in the ED.

Imagine the tank thread will be up on Day 1 next year. Maybe in the pre-season
Nice and insightful, as usual.

Care to dip your toews in the 'lazy Edler' chat? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Great points, and I hear ya;

Can you honestly say he has given his all: his best, this year?

He's just putting in 'just enough' of an effort in the end.
IMHO.

Edler plays 25 hard minutes every night against the other teams top lines. He has understandably looked gassed these last few weeks but looked good tonight.

And he ain't no cancer that's for sure, he has done wonders for Stecher and his development. One of the quiet leaders for us.

With that being said he needs to go at the Draft and we need to continue making moves like we did at the trade deadline.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Edler looks like a battle scared and shell shocked vet. Punches in, punches out and goes about his job in a work-man like way. However, you rarely get the feeling he's a truly inspired player. Probably seen too many goals go in and too little chance of winning over the last few years.

I think he probably cares quite a bit and I don't think lazy exactly fits him (although he can give off that impression at times) . Might be a stretch but has kind of an Eeyore appearance and is simply expecting things to go bad. And who can blame him.

As far as trading him, there are times you get so frustrated that you want to take a heavy duty sledge hammer and smash this team (and organization) down to its foundations. Just get Edler and rest the hell out of here and start from scratch. But that is likely to do no good.

There do have to be players to build around. And on the back end that someone is probably Edler. That said, any consideration of his present stats and the likelihood that this is as good as it gets for Edler does make you think trade (if you can get around the NMC).

I don't think it is easy decision but in the short term I think you keep Edler.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
TZ7B7C0.png

AJPHDjO.png

loPvvRp.png

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
I think he probably cares quite a bit and I don't think lazy exactly fits him (although he can give off that impression at times) . Might be a stretch but has kind of an Eeyore appearance and is simply expecting things to go bad. And who can blame him.

As far as trading him, there are times you get so frustrated that you want to take a heavy duty sledge hammer and smash this team (and organization) down to its foundations. Just get Edler and rest the hell out of here and start from scratch. But that is likely to do no good.

Very well put. He does have a womp womp woooomp kinda face but yea, 25 minutes of strong play from a passive looking guy is hardly a problem on this squad.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Edler looks like a battle scared and shell shocked vet. Punches in, punches out and goes about his job in a work-man like way. However, you rarely get the feeling he's a truly inspired player. Probably seen too many goals go in and too little chance of winning over the last few years.

There do have to be players to build around. And on the back end that someone is probably Edler. That said, any consideration of his present stats and the likelihood that this is as good as it gets for Edler does make you think trade (if you can get around the NMC).

I don't think it is easy decision but in the short term I think you keep Edler.

I think Edler's just broken here. Too many failures, too many broken hearts, too many bad memories.

I think back to the LA series in 2010 (wow, that's a long time ago in NHL terms). Just a beast. It's like he was never off the ice. Dominant in every zone...but I've never seen that from him again. It's so frustrating seeing what he could be but isn't. It's clear he needs a change of scenery and program to become anything greater.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I think Edler's just broken here. Too many failures, too many broken hearts, too many bad memories.

I think back to the LA series in 2010 (wow, that's a long time ago in NHL terms). Just a beast. It's like he was never off the ice. Dominant in every zone...but I've never seen that from him again. It's so frustrating seeing what he could be but isn't. It's clear he needs a change of scenery and program to become anything greater.

Comparing a 23 year old, pre-****ed up back, not coached by a brick wearing a suit, surrounded by ascendent elite offensive and defensive talent Alex Edler to today is ridiculous.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Edler as Eeyore is just too perfect of an analogy. Spot on.

I don't feel like repeating myself on the coaching front, so I'm not going to comment on WD's oddities in last night's game other than to say there were many.

Liked the "Killer B" line - thought Boeser had more jump and generally looked stronger than the game vs. ANA, was unlucky not to score on his open net opportunity. Chuckled at how reluctant Edler seemed to be to pass him the puck with the extra man.

Daniel Sedin actually looked pretty strong, that one play where he dangled to the net...where the hell did that come from? I think he finished with 6 shots on net? Maybe LA brings out the best in him.

Molino actually looked half decent on the forecheck. If he had some physicality to go with those wheels, he'd be a much more effective player, though.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Molino is really, really fast. And seems to have a good motor and keep his feet moving, which should allow him to be a serviceable defensive player. Whether he can actually do anything with his speed remains to be seen.

Edler was probably our best player last night. The criticism he's taking is absurd.

Biega is my favourite player to cheer for on this team right now. I'm sure he'd love to be playing defense - and he deserves to be - but his attitude and effort level are off the charts. Need more people like him.

That was Boeser's best game of the 3 I've seen him play. His skating definitely needs work but he gets in positions to get his shots off and will score goals in this league. And while he struggles a bit defensively at times, he's at least checked in and trying to do the right things. Unlike Goldobin.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
That was Boeser's best game of the 3 I've seen him play. His skating definitely needs work but he gets in positions to get his shots off and will score goals in this league. And while he struggles a bit defensively at times, he's at least checked in and trying to do the right things. Unlike Goldobin.

I said it at the time, but the risk with the Goldobin trade was that he is at the point in his development curve where he needs to be making an NHL impact, and failing which, his potential is seriously in question. He should be producing at a 15tg/15a type level by next year IMO. While it is still very early, Goldobin is certainly looking like he may be a Benning special. Has a Vey like feel right now (without the favourable ice time).

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Right now Edler, the Sedins, (in fact, most of our veterans) look like they're playing on one of our dismal 80's team. No hopers running out a string in a league that is light years ahead of us.

I remember guys like Pederson and Lidster and Gradin at the end of yet another futile season... just out there punching the clock while the Gretzky's, Messier's and Coffey's of the world padded their stats in some mean nothing game... buy hey, young Jim Sandlak looks like he might amount to something.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Goldobin reminds me a great deal of Baertschi when we traded for him - a very raw talent that needs work on the fundamentals of his game. Baertschi went straight down to Utica (which at the time was a strong team), and benefitted from a big playoff run and time with Travis Green before coming up full time the following season.

Methinks Goldobin would benefit from something similar. As Botchford pointed out, he sure as hell isn't going to benefit playing 9 minutes a night on the wing of the offensive black hole that is Brandon Sutter.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
As insipid as the Sedins have been at times this year, you really have to wonder how much better they'd have done and how much more they would have produced if they hadn't been chained to one of Sutter/Megna/Chaput for 60% of this season at ES, and stuck with Sutter on the PP for the entire season.

Not consistently playing with competent linemates has probably cost them at least 10 points this year. As much as Willie puts most of his kids in positions to fail, he's done the same with the Sedins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad