Kingdom Hearts 3

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Polygon ripped the game a new one, citing bland, lifeless worlds and a weak story.

I’d never fully trust a KH review, but stuff like that is concerning.
That polygon review sounds like it was written by a 21 year old hipster-doofus who needs to be raging about something. If anything is bland, lifeless and weak, it is his f***ing review.

Most outlets have reviewed it favorably. That is a good sign. I am still super excited.

Last edited:

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Polygon ripped the game a new one, citing bland, lifeless worlds and a weak story.

I’d never fully trust a KH review, but stuff like that is concerning.
Seems like the Polygon review is the odd one out, which is good. There always seems to be one differentiates from the norm. Ironically, Polygon seems to do it a lot.

A lot of review outlets still haven't received a code, so their will be reviews coming out for a good week.

Last edited:

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Yep agreed with both of you. Read some of the other reviews that were much more positive.

Complaining about the individual story pace in some of the worlds is pedantic and sounds like something that would come from a reviewer that wanted to hate the game from the start.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I need to hurry my play through of the previous KH games :) I did finish KH I when it first came out, but by the time KHII came out I wasn't gaming as much and money was quite tight at the time (about to get married then started a family...), and then my PS2 died. Now that we got a PS4 for Christmas and I got the KH 1.8 + KH II.8 remix I'm going through it all.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Yep agreed with both of you. Read some of the other reviews that were much more positive.

Complaining about the individual story pace in some of the worlds is pedantic and sounds like something that would come from a reviewer that wanted to hate the game from the start.
That was my take-away from the Polygon article. It's almost like the reviewer sat down and said "Kingdom Hearts isn't good, and I'm going to prove it." before he even popped in the disk.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I always thought it'd be fun to play Kingdom Hearts, but I never got around to it (partially because I didn't own a lot of the consoles) outside of a (very fun) few hours of the first one.

I tried to catch myself up on the story in case I decide to give it a go, and....what? :laugh:

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I always thought it'd be fun to play Kingdom Hearts, but I never got around to it (partially because I didn't own a lot of the consoles) outside of a (very fun) few hours of the first one.

I tried to catch myself up on the story in case I decide to give it a go, and....what? :laugh:
I wouldn’t worry about the story, haha. It’s a giant mess, and it isn’t all that good even if you can understand it.

The enjoyment that comes from KH is due to its gameplay and the Disney magic woven throughout it.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
I checked the PSN store. The store said that KHIII will Auto-Download sometime today (1/26/19). Is there a certain time PlayStation, Sony, or Square-Enix download the games?

Edit: I forgot to mention that I preordered the $59.99 version of KHIII.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I checked the PSN store. The store said that KHIII will Auto-Download sometime today (1/26/19). Is there a certain time PlayStation, Sony, or Square-Enix download the games?

Edit: I forgot to mention that I preordered the $59.99 version of KHIII.
You should be able to pre-load the game now if it hasn't already done so on its own.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Really wishing that I had got this digitally now, because I know this will be a game that I'll play more than just one time, but I had enough money from a trade at GameStop where I was able to just fully pay it off there and didn't think to just get PS Store cards.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
God. I'm regretting leaving my PS4 back home. I guess I'll watch walkthroughs. I don't have the willpower to wait for summer.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I have the game so far. Reached the first save point. Really good.

Totally. I’m impressed they got so many of the original voices from the movies to do the game.

My only gripes are too many intro cut scenes at the start and not being able to adjust settings until after the first tutorial battle.

Just once I’d like to have the original Japanese voices In the game with English subtitles.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The English script is also so weird because it has lots of odd pauses to try and sync the mouths.
I don't mind that having played many KH games. Im used to that and it's forgivable since it would be tough to reanimated. My biggest issue with KH cutscenes is the utter lack of any sort of ambient noise. I get that that's how it's always been done but it can be jarring at times. Like I was watching gameplay from this one and...well without spoiling anything, on Hercules world you'd really think there'd be some kind of background noise.

Reactions: romba and H3ckt1k

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
I don't mind that having played many KH games. Im used to that and it's forgivable since it would be tough to reanimated. My biggest issue with KH cutscenes is the utter lack of any sort of ambient noise. I get that that's how it's always been done but it can be jarring at times. Like I was watching gameplay from this one and...well without spoiling anything, on Hercules world you'd really think there'd be some kind of background noise.
I was wondering why the cutscenes felt so weird, and thats basically why. Although some of the dialogue seems a little off too, could just be the english translations.

Having a lot of fun with the actual gameplay though, the game feels good to play

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I was wondering why the cutscenes felt so weird, and thats basically why. Although some of the dialogue seems a little off too, could just be the english translations.

Having a lot of fun with the actual gameplay though, the game feels good to play
It looks incredible too from what I've seen.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I know people are just starting it but I'm wondering how it compares between KH 1 and 2. Personally I thought 1 was amazing, but 2 was okay but a significant let down. It was kind of a structural design thing in 2, the game starts off with that lengthy 'nobody' (?) section that takes about 10 hours to play before you finally get back to Sora Donald and Goofy, and then for the Disney world hopping they kind of rush you through it. With KH1 these were the game, with each world being fairly large and full of secrets you could back track too after unlocking new abilities. They were well crafted levels that meshed well with the local Disney story and rewarded you for taking the extra time to explore.

KH2 on the other hand seemed to have more of a MMO design, where would maybe consist of 3 zones that existed to fight mobs in and then the story advances. At this point you'd get the impression that Square was far more interested in telling it's own whacky story and the Disney part of it was something they had to reluctantly oblige so they tacked on some half assed levels.

I don't know what the actual fanbase thinks of it but that was my own untainted opinion of KH2 anyways. I'm not sure if I'll ever get to play KH3 (maybe they'll release it on Steam?) but I'm still curious which way it seems.

Reactions: romba

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad