Kingdom Hearts 3

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Riku’s Keyblade being a car key absolutely baffles me design wise. Like it is distracting levels of ridiculous, which is saying something in regards to this series.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I know people are just starting it but I'm wondering how it compares between KH 1 and 2. Personally I thought 1 was amazing, but 2 was okay but a significant let down. It was kind of a structural design thing in 2, the game starts off with that lengthy 'nobody' (?) section that takes about 10 hours to play before you finally get back to Sora Donald and Goofy, and then for the Disney world hopping they kind of rush you through it. With KH1 these were the game, with each world being fairly large and full of secrets you could back track too after unlocking new abilities. They were well crafted levels that meshed well with the local Disney story and rewarded you for taking the extra time to explore.

KH2 on the other hand seemed to have more of a MMO design, where would maybe consist of 3 zones that existed to fight mobs in and then the story advances. At this point you'd get the impression that Square was far more interested in telling it's own whacky story and the Disney part of it was something they had to reluctantly oblige so they tacked on some half assed levels.

I don't know what the actual fanbase thinks of it but that was my own untainted opinion of KH2 anyways. I'm not sure if I'll ever get to play KH3 (maybe they'll release it on Steam?) but I'm still curious which way it seems.

When was the last time you played 1? I replayed it not too long ago in the 1.5 rerelease.

A lot of the levels were really rough around the edges, with some sketchy platforming, and way too much backtracking. Plus the combat is a lot more primitive, more so after playing a much smoother 2.

The overall charm of the concept is what glued the 1st one together. 2 improved upon the gameplay aspect in every way IMO. 3 even more so.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
When was the last time you played 1? I replayed it not too long ago in the 1.5 rerelease.

A lot of the levels were really rough around the edges, with some sketchy platforming, and way too much backtracking. Plus the combat is a lot more primitive, more so after playing a much smoother 2.

The overall charm of the concept is what glued the 1st one together. 2 improved upon the gameplay aspect in every way IMO. 3 even more so.

Yeah Kingdom Hearts 1 hasn't aged...poorly per se. If anything, playing it back again it really is amazing how much they were able to accomplish given the technical limitations of the day. But within that, it's also painfully obvious to see where the limitations held it back in relation to even the PSP and 3DS games.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I really only played the games once. Kingdom Hearts 1 I initially missed then played it a number of years after it came out, fairly close to the release of Kingdom Hearts 2 I was more on the ball. So I ended up playing both for the first time pretty close together.

Like I said outside of the series being loved I don't know how the two games are considered among the more dedicated community, and maybe I don't have the best recollection of it, but I like the type of level design found in 1 while in 2 it felt like it was rushing me through the Disney sections. Also I never played the DS game which I believe came out inbetween (?) so that would also leave some holes in the story.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Yea KH2 is night and day better than KH1; especially in the PS4 collections. KH1 is pretty rough, and has aged poorly. The combat/gameplay in KH2 is still very good at this time.

Supposedly KH3 is a huge step in every way possible. I'm away until next week, but my copy is waiting there for me. Avoiding spoilers has been tough.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
So i bought this game on a total whim having not played the series prior (I couldn't resist the heavy Pixar representation) and all i've gotten out of it so far is the story is a bunch of nonsensical garbage while the gameplay is absolutely stellar.

Enjoying it a ton.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
So i bought this game on a total whim having not played the series prior (I couldn't resist the heavy Pixar representation) and all i've gotten out of it so far is the story is a bunch of nonsensical garbage while the gameplay is absolutely stellar.

Enjoying it a ton.

Note that they got a lot of the original voice talent from the movies to be In the game (with the exception of the A-List voices).

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The budget Tim Allen and Tom Hanks do well in the Toy Story world, but the budget Billy Crystal for Monsters Inc is rough.

The secret ending is kind of ridiculous. Not a fan of how much the game’s plot has to do with the mobile game.

Anyone else finding the attraction moves OP?

Reactions: Lias Andersson

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com

Enjoying it a ton.

This is exactly what I did, and how I feel so far!! Me & the family are big Disney fans, so it seemed like a no-brainer despite that I don't have a clue what the games are actually about.

I tried to read an article summing up the story, but it was like 6 pages long. I need the really short version.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
So, I am finishing KH II before I start KH III as its been 13-14 years since I played the original. Now I remember why I disliked II so much as compared to I. I felt like that they cheaped out on II. The highest Keyblade strength was 7 on the Fenrir, not like the first one where Keyblades actually mattered. They artificially made the game more difficult with so many stupid objective battles.

For the love of god, I hope that III does a better job of having a nice Keyblade selection and significantly fewer objective battles. I am hoping to be able to start III this weekend.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
So, I am finishing KH II before I start KH III as its been 13-14 years since I played the original. Now I remember why I disliked II so much as compared to I. I felt like that they cheaped out on II. The highest Keyblade strength was 7 on the Fenrir, not like the first one where Keyblades actually mattered. They artificially made the game more difficult with so many stupid objective battles.

For the love of god, I hope that III does a better job of having a nice Keyblade selection and significantly fewer objective battles. I am hoping to be able to start III this weekend.

I couldn’t stand the grinding to earn munny. Made me stop playing the game.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Attraction moves are hugely OP. It's just too easy to get them. It seems like you can trigger an attraction almost every single battle and considering that the attractions usually wipe out everything it's definitely sapping the challenge from the gameplay. I'm considering just not activating them anymore after seeing them once or twice.

Reactions: Morozov

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
KH2 is so much better than KH1 it's crazy. I just replayed both and it's not close. The combat in the first is awful, while the combat in the second game still holds up today.

I'm home in a couple days so I finally get to play but from what I've seen it's a huge step up in every way compared to all the other games.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Attraction moves are hugely OP. It's just too easy to get them. It seems like you can trigger an attraction almost every single battle and considering that the attractions usually wipe out everything it's definitely sapping the challenge from the gameplay. I'm considering just not activating them anymore after seeing them once or twice.

I just don't trigger them most of the time now. It's easy enough without them, when you use them it is as you say the challenge is gone completely.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Well bad news is there isn’t a large keyblade selection. It’s just the Disney World Keys. They cut all the non-Disney ones. The special moves take all the challenge, and honestly fun out of the combat system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad