King Karlsson - The Captain and The Playoff Warrior

Dick Whitman

Feb 15, 2008
Ottawa
In his defense, Burns was elite in most of the regular season. He was even more dominant than Green in his 09 season.

Burns being a finalist for the Lester B. is a good indication that he has a real shot at the Norris. If the players think that highly of him, I imagine that the writers who vote on the Norris may have felt the same way. Still won't take away from the season Karlsson has had.

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
I laughed at the tweet saying how after Ottawa wins the cup they'll give the conn smythe to Drew Doughty.

KingBilly

Oct 18, 2008
At least you can't argue with Burns' numbers this year. I definitely doubt that he can reproduce them. It's not even natural really for a D-man to score so many goals. But you can't argue with the numbers. We'll see how it is next year. Against Doughty... you absolutely could.

It is frustrating, as a Karlsson fan, to see him coming out a close, controversial second in the Norris, when he doesn't win, and yet all these other guys, Keith, Weber, Subban, Doughty, Burns, are like the flashes in the pan, gone the next year, but Karlsson's right there every year. And we still debate who is the best D-man as if history began this year. Price doesn't get that treatment, as a goalie, for whatever reason.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Let's just appreciate Karlsson as a player. I feel like this thread is going to get side tracked (real quick) if people keep bringing Burns and Doughty into it.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Let's just appreciate Karlsson as a player. I feel like this thread is going to get side tracked (real quick) if people keep bringing Burns and Doughty into it.

Sens fans are the ones who keep doing it, like the poster above who called other elite dmen "flash in the pan" players, LOL. It's his own fans who are insecure.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
At least you can't argue with Burns' numbers this year. I definitely doubt that he can reproduce them. It's not even natural really for a D-man to score so many goals. But you can't argue with the numbers. We'll see how it is next year. Against Doughty... you absolutely could.

It is frustrating, as a Karlsson fan, to see him coming out a close, controversial second in the Norris, when he doesn't win, and yet all these other guys, Keith, Weber, Subban, Doughty, Burns, are like the flashes in the pan, gone the next year, but Karlsson's right there every year. And we still debate who is the best D-man as if history began this year. Price doesn't get that treatment, as a goalie, for whatever reason.
Um.....Two Norris, a Conn Smythe, and three Cups beg to differ.

EK is still in Keith's shadow in terms of accomplishments.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
If I had to put all my pennies on a single player this post season it would be on Karlsson.

He has been phenomenal. Through two rounds he's been the best player in the league.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
2 goals in the playoffs for Captain Clutch, 2 game winners.

Saves them for when it counts!

KingBilly

Oct 18, 2008
Sens fans are the ones who keep doing it, like the poster above who called other elite dmen "flash in the pan" players, LOL. It's his own fans who are insecure.

What I meant was in terms of Norris voting. Not that they aren't all great players generally. Karlsson's been 1 or 2 every year except the Matt Cooke injury year, and yet those guys flash for one year and then disappear in Norris voting the next. And it would not surprise me at all if Burns suffers the same fate.

They're all great players. But Karlsson's the only one finishing 1 or 2 every year. So why are we still debating best D-man in the league? Even in the years when he is 2, like this year?

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
It would be hilarious is Burns won the Norris now :laugh:

It's honestly inconsequential to me at this point. He's proven himself so thoroughly that he is the new narrative and will be for a long time. He might even steal a Norris or two that a Hedman/Burns/Doughty deserves over him.

I did laugh at your comment, though - EKs play has spoken for itself all year.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
He's the best player on the planet and he's doing it on one leg without another major superstar on the team.

Imagine the Sens with Chabot anchoring the 2nd pairing and adding another top line player to play with EK.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It would be hilarious is Burns won the Norris now :laugh:

The Norris is an award based on the performances over 82 games of one regular season. I'm not debating in the slightest that Karlsson is the best defenseman in the NHL, but over the course of this regular season, Burns deserves the Norris slightly more than Karlsson; he dragged a depleted, old, injured Sharks team kicking and screaming into the playoffs. There is a reason that he was nominated by his peers for the Ted Lindsay Award.

On topic. It is amazing seeing what Karlsson is doing. He is making a serious argument for best player in the NHL, the only thing separating he and McDavid from being consensus best in the world is their lack of an elite, deep playoff run, and it looks like Karlsson is doing that. He is already top 30 in playoff points in one post season by a defenseman since 2005-2006.

Captain And Coke

Apr 29, 2011
It is amazing seeing what Karlsson is doing. He is making a serious argument for best player in the NHL, the only thing separating he and McDavid from being consensus best in the world is their lack of an elite, deep playoff run, and it looks like Karlsson is doing that. He is already top 30 in playoff points in one post season by a defenseman since 2005-2006.

And it's only been two rounds! What is he on pace for assuming the Sens push through to the Cup Finals?

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
And it's only been two rounds! What is he on pace for assuming the Sens push through to the Cup Finals?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. If he continues his pace through the next 4 games, he'll post 17 pts in 16 games.

But wait, if Karlsson puts up 4 points in the next 4 games the Sens will almost certainly win one.... :huh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad