Post-Game Talk: Kill It With Fire Leafs Win 5-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
the last few cup winners have had terrible PP’s but have had outstanding PK’s don’t think they are mutually exclusive. Especially when you’re not getting as much PP’s to begin with.

How many or how few PP's there are doesn't matter. For every PP, there's a PK on the other side. If PP is important, so is PK. If PP is not important, then neither is PK. The idea that PP isn't important but PK is, just doesn't compute.

For the record, I think they're both important. But that's another story altogether.

Reactions: Northernguy10

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
sorry to post this here, but something i just realised. Somehow Freddy the goat was a mainstay in our bottom six over the last few years playing 70 and 61 games respectfully. He then signs with Arizona and has only played 2 games. Why the hell were we playing that bum so much did we honestly have no better solution?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
the last few cup winners have had terrible PP’s but have had outstanding PK’s
Where did you get that idea? Last year, Tampa was 5th in both in the playoffs. In 2019, St Louis was 12th in both. In 2018, Washington was 2nd on the PP, and 10th on the PK. In 2017, Pittsburgh was 5th on the PP, and 9th on the PK.

Reactions: mix1home

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
It seems to me that PP and PK are equally important. What am I missing?

Yeah I don't buy that considering in the last 2 series we played against Boston, we controlled the game on ES but lost on specialty teams. We couldn't score on PP and we couldn't stop Boston from scoring.

I am okay if the PP is average in the playoffs but that PK better be top notch.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yeah I don't buy that considering in the last 2 series we played against Boston, we controlled the game on ES but lost on specialty teams. We couldn't score on PP and we couldn't stop Boston from scoring.

I am okay if the PP is average in the playoffs but that PK better be top notch.

TBH, I'm not OK at all with an average PP. With our talent, I fully expected us to be killing it, like we were early in the season.

Goals are hard to come by in the playoffs, it helps a ton if you have a PP that teams fear. Not only does can it get crucial goals for you but it also helps prevent teams from taking liberties with our stars.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I think it's safe to say that Matthew's wrist is healed, eh?

That or Leafs Special Forces finally found that voodoo doll and burned it.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Unfortunately our games start really late here in Portugal, so i rarely get to see a game live.
Can somebody tell me how well did we play?
We won, and that´s all that matters, but we are getting close to the PO´s and i need to know how are the boys doing on the ice.

There were times where we looked like that dominant team that started the season, and there were time's where we chased the puck and let Calgary dictate play. You can see glimpses of an elite team, you can also see glimpses of a team that has some bad habits. Campbell looked human last night, let in 2 bad goals, thank god AM was shooting the stars out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mentat

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I think it's safe to say that Matthew's wrist is healed, eh?

That or Leafs Special Forces finally found that voodoo doll and burned it.

LOL voodoo doll..

Yep he looked like the AM that started on at goal per game tear at the beginning of the season

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Listen, Ill take a won all the way to the bank. That said, these last 2 werent as much a product of the leafs playing amazing (solid d coverage for the most part, but alot of lazy plays) rather its more an indictment of how poorly calgary is playing. Gotta play tighter leading into the playoffs. In any event GLG

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I think Wayne Simmonds deserves some major credit for giving this team a backbone. They cough up a 2 goal lead, the first goal of which off of an absolutely atrocious non-call slew foot. A script that would normally cripple this team. Simmer finds a way to bury one to make it 3-2, and he gave life back to that bench. Look at the celly, it speaks volumes. Even though they ended up coughing that lead up as well, off of a shorty that again would normally cripple this team. They came back out and burried on the same PP. Matthews was absolutely fired up. And he was equally fired up when JT got the insurance goal. This was by all intents and purposes a meaningless game. Not much in way of implications for the standings in the grand scheme of things. When Simmonds shows that passion, it reminds the rest of the team that it is still 2pts that we could really use. So nice to see the rest of the team match that passion. I really think a guy like Simmonds is huge for that. Something we desperately missed when he was out IMO. Ya his game has been a touch shaky since returning from injury. To be expected. But his play has been much better in the last 2 games. His value is so much greater than what shows up on a stat sheet

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I thought Campbell was a little off last night that 2nd goal can't go in but the boys picked him up and they should do that from time to time because he's more than pulled his weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad