Post-Game Talk: Kill It With Fire Leafs Win 5-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbgobie

Sep 19, 2009
Goals are hard to come by in the playoffs, it helps a ton if you have a PP that teams fear. Not only does can it get crucial goals for you but it also helps prevent teams from taking liberties with our stars.

If our Pp stayed as dominant as it was earlier in the year it wouldn't help in playoffs coz the refs would make sure we don't get any. By lulling them into a sense they can actually call some fair penalties cause we won't blow a game open, we'll win more games because we're so damn good we can score when we need it.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I thought Campbell was a little off last night that 2nd goal can't go in but the boys picked him up and they should do that from time to time because he's more than pulled his weight.
in fairness, the subtle deflection off of Dermott's skate was the big reason that got past him. I said it in another thread that Campbell's style leaves him a bit vulnerable to 5 hole shots, because he is not a true butterfly tendy. One pad almost always hits the ice slightly before the other. he does it to cover a bit more of the gap between his blocker/trapper and pad where most goalies are most vulnerable. It relies on reading the shot off the tape really well, but also leaves for a bit bigger 5 hole. Jack reads shots very well, so it hasn't bit him yet. But it was a bit of an unfortunate redirection that finds itself under the pad. Something that would likely not occur for a traditional butterfly goalie. But all n all, jack was very good last night i thought. A little scrambly early on, but was really tidy the rest of the way. Mad a ton of saves through traffic. which has been a huge sore spot all year for Freddy. And he made some huge huge saves when they were up 5-3 that cemented the win.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Listen, Ill take a won all the way to the bank. That said, these last 2 werent as much a product of the leafs playing amazing (solid d coverage for the most part, but alot of lazy plays) rather its more an indictment of how poorly calgary is playing. Gotta play tighter leading into the playoffs. In any event GLG

Calgary is due for a tear apart and a rebuild, Monahan and Gaudreau are shadows of themselves. With the exception of Tanev, their off season signings have grossly underperformed. Pretty much anything their GM does is a bad move, I doubt the GM has a job in June. If I was Calgary, everyone with the exception of Tkachuk is avail, sell sell sell

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Soupy did what he had to do with 3 beautiful glove grabs late in 3rd ... that is all anyone can ask of a tender make da key saves that team needs to win

Rielly OMG someone teach that guy how to play a 2 on 1 as a D ... f*ckin brutal ... ok so you miss da pass across ok but don't trip over your skate and let your man score on an easy tap in ... this is a move a peewee D gets benched for folks OMG pppphhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu that stunk ... Keefer I am watching u man ... yep vets get some rope for sure but common brother don't play favs it will cost u ... and take that guy off PP#1 he is useless at it ... da only good thing is he is playing himself off this team ... good to see Muzzy get a shot last night

Matty and Zach OMG wow both just hard workers last night ... and Mik man he can fly as a big man ... and Wayner is back baby ... you could start to see it 2 nights ago but his skating amped up to another level again last night ... good to have a guy we can insert on 2nd or 3rd line again who can hit, forecheck and create havoc

Winning ugly games is sign we got a decent team here folks

OddyOh

Really, Healy?
Aug 18, 2010
Regina, SK
If our Pp stayed as dominant as it was earlier in the year it wouldn't help in playoffs coz the refs would make sure we don't get any. By lulling them into a sense they can actually call some fair penalties cause we won't blow a game open, we'll win more games because we're so damn good we can score when we need it.

100%. So sad that this twisted logic is exactly accurate!

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Basically the Muzzin puck flip was the end of the Flames season. Weak constitution on that team.
The puck flip started it, but I think it has more to do with Tkachuks meltdown afterwords. A cancer grew in that locker room after that.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
maybe it's just a genius possum play by Keefe?

TMLisSRYinGerman

Aug 4, 2020
Calgary is due for a tear apart and a rebuild, Monahan and Gaudreau are shadows of themselves. With the exception of Tanev, their off season signings have grossly underperformed. Pretty much anything their GM does is a bad move, I doubt the GM has a job in June. If I was Calgary, everyone with the exception of Tkachuk is avail, sell sell sell

Nah these players are still young and might bounce back next year. Bad seasons can happen.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Id keep mangiapane and tanev as well. Dispite the team record, from what ive seen from him this year has been very solid (tanev). This doesnt seem like the draft year to blow it up though, next year they should go full tank for wright.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Id keep mangiapane and tanev as well. Dispite the team record, from what ive seen from him this year has been very solid (tanev). This doesnt seem like the draft year to blow it up though, next year they should go full tank for wright.

I dont disagree with you but if they were to tear it down, you might as well go right to the bones. Tanev has been great and Mangiapane on a good team would be a 3rd liner, not disagreeing with you that he has value, this is why I would include him in any trade.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Nah these players are still young and might bounce back next year. Bad seasons can happen.

They have been an underachieving team for years now, you look at teams in the West like Colorado, who ran rough shot over them in the playoffs, they are simply not in the upper end of teams in the West. This is the level they need to attain, they are no where near that, they are more like at the level of a team that might make the playoffs or might not, not really in the Class of LV, Colorado this is where they need to get to have a chance. They remind me a lot of Toronto during the Burke years, the GM assess they are better than they are, they go out and make a number of big moves, (Markstrom, Tanev, etc.) and they follow up that season with a big ole goose egg. Teams can absolutely have bad season but this core has been underperforming for a few years now. Johnny Hockey has one year after this then he is a UFA. To lose him for nothing would be a really bad asset management move.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
in fairness, the subtle deflection off of Dermott's skate was the big reason that got past him. I said it in another thread that Campbell's style leaves him a bit vulnerable to 5 hole shots, because he is not a true butterfly tendy. One pad almost always hits the ice slightly before the other. he does it to cover a bit more of the gap between his blocker/trapper and pad where most goalies are most vulnerable. It relies on reading the shot off the tape really well, but also leaves for a bit bigger 5 hole. Jack reads shots very well, so it hasn't bit him yet. But it was a bit of an unfortunate redirection that finds itself under the pad. Something that would likely not occur for a traditional butterfly goalie. But all n all, jack was very good last night i thought. A little scrambly early on, but was really tidy the rest of the way. Mad a ton of saves through traffic. which has been a huge sore spot all year for Freddy. And he made some huge huge saves when they were up 5-3 that cemented the win.

Thanks for that analysis of Campbell's style. I've no idea how those fellas do what they do, I just respect the crap out of them for doing it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad