New York Islanders: Kieffer Bellows Returned to Bridgeport

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
If Bellows struggles to score up here that is not what will worry me. What will worry me is if he looks lost offensively such as MDC. I am hoping that Bellows brings some much needed DEPTH to the lineup. Last season the big difference in our consistency was that we were always able to roll a dependable third line out. Having Bellows be a dependable third liner will mean that Lou really needs to pick up one third liner at the deadline in order for the third line to be effective this season.

Brassard and MDC will have to switch on and off at wing though, they really need a center. I am very interested to see what MDC can do with another skilled forward on his line. Interested folks... No more hope left.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's earned it. Kind of ironic I was just reading this from another former young Islander when he was starting out in the NHL this afternoon.

“Coach, am I supposed to be on the wall?”
“Coach, when the puck is behind the net, am I in the right spot?”
“Coach….”
Finally, he’ll shut you up.
“Mike?”
“Yes, coach.”
“Mike, do you know why we brought you here?”
“Well….”
“Mike, we brought you here to score goals. Can you score goals for us?”
“Well.…”
“Mike, don’t bother me about your defense ever again. If I have anything to say about your defense, I’ll come and see you, O.K.?”

Maybe Trotz will give Kieffer the same instructions.

Reactions: beach

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
A huge improvement from what is the question? Double runners? Working in a Trotz system makes pretty much every forward a good defensive forward. They better be or they don't play, and that is doubly true if they can't score. The bottom line is that forwards who can bring what MDC brings are not hard to find.

Better than horrible, but not as good as bad?

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
If Bellows struggles to score up here that is not what will worry me. What will worry me is if he looks lost offensively such as MDC. I am hoping that Bellows brings some much needed DEPTH to the lineup. Last season the big difference in our consistency was that we were always able to roll a dependable third line out. Having Bellows be a dependable third liner will mean that Lou really needs to pick up one third liner at the deadline in order for the third line to be effective this season.

Brassard and MDC will have to switch on and off at wing though, they really need a center. I am very interested to see what MDC can do with another skilled forward on his line. Interested folks... No more hope left.
I doubt he’ll be a MDC simply because with his size he can still impact the game just by being around the net. Not to mention he has what MDC doesn’t have, which is an elite shot

Reactions: ekill08x

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I doubt he’ll be a MDC simply because with his size he can still impact the game just by being around the net. Not to mention he has what MDC doesn’t have, which is an elite shot

Bellows not only has a plus shot, but when I have watched him he shows a willingness to GO TO THE NET. I know I know.. Ol time hockey type talk from me.

That being said, if Bellows can score on NHL goalies by using his shot AND going to the net? He will do just fine.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Bellows reminds me of Okposo. When Okposo would play to his strength he was most effective. Use your big body to bang along the boards and be strong in front of the net. Mix that in with the skill and it’s a recipe for a productive power forward.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Not expecting much from this at all. Doesn't mean I don't have hopes for Bellows, just can't expect much from a guy being stuck with Brassard and MDC. Wish Brassard had been that answer at center but he's a zero there. Can only play wing these days.

Did we have a roster spot available? Did someone get injured?

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Bellows reminds me of Okposo. When Okposo would play to his strength he was most effective. Use your big body to bang along the boards and be strong in front of the net. Mix that in with the skill and it’s a recipe for a productive power forward.
Bellows has more of a physical edge than Okposo I think

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Not expecting much from this at all. Doesn't mean I don't have hopes for Bellows, just can't expect much from a guy being stuck with Brassard and MDC. Wish Brassard had been that answer at center but he's a zero there. Can only play wing these days.

Did we have a roster spot available? Did someone get injured?

There was an extra spot after they sent Ladd down and never brought anyone back up to replace him.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
A lot of expectations being expressed here, realistic and not so realistic IMO. As for myself, I'm not expecting much but I am excited so see some new blood out there. And though my expectations are tempered, I will cop to engaging in some wishful thinking. Hopefully he'll get some TOI.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Bellows talked about being more assertive on the ice after being sat down for 2 games this year. He said he started to carry the puck more and taking it to the net. It was a mindset reset, it may not sound like much, but if he can do that in the NHL. He may find success.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Further, I think Bellows has the pedigree to be a player for the Isles. More than Hosang, MDC had. He comes from great hockey genes, he has the size and tools to make an impact. If he can take the lessons he learned in his last 20 games in the AHL to the NHL. It's going to be fascinating to see him develop.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I just don't see the improvement from MDC that you're talking about.
I think he is defensively responsible .
It is unfair,but I have a hard time appreciating what he does bring because of the expectations I had when the isles drafted him.

Reactions: MJF

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Good for Bellows.Hopefully,he comes in produces.

I liked the way he responded to being benched. He worked harder and put up points.This is his reward.

I also don't mind that guys who have not been productive, will need to look over their shoulders and worry about ice time.

Reactions: MJF

norwegianislander

May 9, 2009
Hamar, Norway
Bellows with MDC I like. I dont like Brassard centering that line. He has been the biggest problem with the 3rd line. MDC will focus on the defensiv play and maybe that will give Bellows enough space to play to his strengths. Good god we need a new center for that line.

I agree that Tom needed to sit after the Canucks game, but so should Brassard.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017

The key as you mentioned is getting a center that can distribute, we haven't seen the shot that MDC was know for in junior, all the goals I've seen since he entered the league are goal mouth scrums and tip in's not his calling card from junior days. Bellows shot also impressive but can they generate the time and space needed for said center to find them? Some wings need a good center more than others, I feel these two more than most. So I don't see them on the same line for that reason .

crasherino

May 9, 2013
And when you consider who is being brought up instead of Ladd it's easy to see that Lou has put Ladd in his "retirement development program."
I’ve been hoping against hope that Ladd would bounce back to something of his former self but every passing day and every passing call up makes it more evident that just ain’t happening.

assuming he stays down the whole season, will be very interesting to see what happens going forward. He’s willing to play the good soldier now but for the next 3 years? Something’s gotta give eventually. Just not sure what that something is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad