New York Islanders: Kieffer Bellows Returned to Bridgeport

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
We're gonna find out tonight, but I have to believe if Lou and Trotz, who have seen him up close, didn't think he could skate at the NHL level, they wouldn't bring him up.

At this point, I feel they are simply sticking to their core ethos, which is ultra conservative, keeping young mistake prone players on a super short leash.

With the playoffs now in jeopardy, they do not feel it is time to experiment or let young guys learn. I know Ladd has a wrist shot, we all know that....

The question is, how valuable is dependability when mobility is questionable? Trotz has gotten so much out of this group by getting them to play his system and it seems he values adherence to the system over anything else, including skill.

Hopefully the roster is tweaked over the summer as the inbalance is evident.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
There’s no forcing Trotz hand. Bellows won us the game vs the Kings.

No young player with such little NHL experience will be mistake free. I thought the pros outweighed the cons. Remind me, how many goals has this team scored in the last 5 games?
They're not going to burn years off the ELCs of their most promising prospects at this point. Doesn't make sense to do so. They had to with Dobson for reasons known to all or otherwise he'd have gotten 9 and been down too. Btw, watching Makar the other night, wow. Dobber is going to be good, but Makar, 14 months older, looks like he's been in the league for 10 years. Big gap.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Ladd handles the puck better than 90% of the guys on our roster. He sees the game as well as anyone. His trouble is he can't skate anymore.

Turn him around so at least he's facing the right direction to backcheck . . . then he can get off the ice

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
There’s no forcing Trotz hand. Bellows won us the game vs the Kings.

No young player with such little NHL experience will be mistake free. I thought the pros outweighed the cons. Remind me, how many goals has this team scored in the last 5 games?

The same as Bellows individually

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
This team is just plugging holes until they pull deals off for Kovy and Pageau in the next couple of days, I think at this point these 2 could help better than the AHL types or Badd

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
They're not going to burn years off the ELCs of their most promising prospects at this point. Doesn't make sense to do so. They had to with Dobson for reasons known to all or otherwise he'd have gotten 9 and been down too. Btw, watching Makar the other night, wow. Dobber is going to be good, but Makar, 14 months older, looks like he's been in the league for 10 years. Big gap.

Damn right. I am big on Dobson, but at this stage I don't consider him untouchable. Makar, Dahlin, they are untouchable. Let's see how he develops but if Dobson+1st+Something else returned a top flight offensive talent that was either RFA or locked up I'd listen.

Reactions: Capt Obvious

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Damn right. I am big on Dobson, but at this stage I don't consider him untouchable. Makar, Dahlin, they are untouchable. Let's see how he develops but if Dobson+1st+Something else returned a top flight offensive talent that was either RFA or locked up I'd listen.
Dobson isn’t the same level of offense that Makar is but I think Dobson may end up more along lines of 30-40 point 25 minute a night top guy.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Trading Dobson would be a Milbury move. It's a dumb idea to even entertain.
How can you say that without knowing what might be on the other side of the transaction? And why think that way? Because we drafted him? Ridiculous thinking. The way some fans become immediately wedded to high draft picks and believe that they must be the next great thing is crazy. If their is better value or a better fit, you do it. I'm not saying there is in Dobson's case, but you always keep an open mind.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
How can you say that without knowing what might be on the other side of the transaction? And why think that way? Because we drafted him? Ridiculous thinking. The way some fans become immediately wedded to high draft picks and believe that they must be the next great thing is crazy. If their is better value or a better fit, you do it. I'm not saying there is in Dobson's case, but you always keep an open mind.

Any mention of Dobson being moved yields this reaction. I get it, he's a blue-chipper and I'd prefer to keep him ... that being said, if he returned a top flight center or sniper, it is worth considering.

It doesn't mean shop him , it doesn't mean that at all. There is a love affair with Dobson no doubt about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad