KHL pre-season 2015

loppa*

:laugh: Are you even aware of how many top scorers in various European leagues have turned out complete no-shows in international play?

The answer will be short and to the point. No, I am not. Not at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Hockey in July just seems wrong, what happened to taking the summer off... are these the regular club players dressed for these games or are they just rookies, and fill-ins?

Unlike the real wrong, the we're-always-right NHL, the KHL tries to adjust to the international schedules. It is also not really "hockey in july" unless you call what's going on in the NHL now(i.e. rookie camps) that. Most teams are just having tryouts with rookies, newcomers nad so on. For expample SKA regulars haven't hit the ice until yesterday. Also the KHL pre-season works dirfferently from the NHL. There is not a tight schedule of pre-season games for all teams. Every team makes it's own agreements with other teams, also teams from other leagues. Some KHL teams played against national teams. And that is all spread over a month of pre-season preparation. Most teams will send the regulars in consecutive games much closer to the start of the regular season which is by the end of August.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Are these people forced to retire at 35 too?

They are so forced to retire as millionaires. Such a pity, really. A lot of people dream of such a life. Don't be such a hypocrite. The players have a tough job entertainig us and they re being paid a lot of money for it. The can survive a couple of weeks less of vacation.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
This reminds me of lockout discussions where everyone is complaining players are greedy and millionaires anyway, they should just give in and play.

You say they can survive without a few weeks of vacation because they are being paid to entertain but do you feel like a winner in this situation? Do you gain anything? Do you feel more entertained because of it? What's at stake here, exactly?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The answer will be short and to the point. No, I am not. Not at all.

For example, Finnish league top goal scores in the 90's, Petri Varis, Pasi Saarela and Kai Nurminen, were irrelevant on the international level.

loppa*

For example, Finnish league top goal scores in the 90's, Petri Varis, Pasi Saarela and Kai Nurminen, were irrelevant on the international level.

That is not Finnish.

1 - that's just one country. Furthermore, the other question is did they have minor roles on the national team and hence less contribution with less ice time.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
1 - that's just one country. Furthermore, the other question is did they have minor roles on the national team and hence less contribution with less ice time.

I don't even know why did Jussi go with such alternative choices, he could have easily gone with Mozyakin who is pretty much a poster child of what he said.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

No, they got all the chances in the world to show what they could do. The pace and/or physicality of international hockey was just too much for them. The late great Arto Javanainen was one of the best goal scorers in Finnish league history and still holds the single season goal scoring record (47 goals in 44 games in 87-88 season) but he only had 3+3 in 15 WC games. A fresher example from defense would be Ville Lajunen, who put great offensive numbers for Espoo Blues and Färjestad yet has only 1+5 in 39 international games.

There have also been Swedish players that lit up the Elitserien but couldn't produce for Tre Kronor.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
This reminds me of lockout discussions where everyone is complaining players are greedy and millionaires anyway, they should just give in and play.

You say they can survive without a few weeks of vacation because they are being paid to entertain but do you feel like a winner in this situation? Do you gain anything? Do you feel more entertained because of it? What's at stake here, exactly?

You are brilliant as always. The last playoff game in the KHL was on 19th April. The regular season ended on 24th February. That makes 3-4 months of time for the players to recover. Come on tell me more about lockouts(what does this has to do with anything here?:help:) and how maybe a couple of weeks less of vacation will spoil the 3 months of recuperation and well deserved rest for the players.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
You are brilliant as always. The last playoff game in the KHL was on 19th April. The regular season ended on 24th February. That makes 3-4 months of time for the players to recover. Come on tell me more about lockouts(what does this has to do with anything here?:help:) and how maybe a couple of weeks less of vacation will spoil the 3 months of recuperation and well deserved rest for the players.

Well to me it's not about how long they can rest but at what time. Frankly, to me, it's not even about them but about me. Who the hell thinks it's a good idea to start season in August and end it in February? Probably same people who came up with that great KHL schedule where we have 10 games at the same time but only every second day.

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Well to me it's not about how long they can rest but at what time. Frankly, to me, it's not even about them but about me. Who the hell things it's a good idea to start season in August and end it in February? Probably same people who came up with that great KHL schedule where we have 10 games at the same time but only every second day.

They start the season on 24th August. So one can put August into perspective. Yes, I doubt there will be full arenas at the end of August, but there will be in September, which is one week into the season. To me it's totally irrelevant after all. The first home game is in mid-September for me, so I actually don't care personally. I will watch the away games though.

The schedule is made to fit with the WC in May and I understand that and can live with it. Your demand for having the games exactly when you want them is understandable, but unrealistic. You can't get everything you want. More games in a season is a good thing for the KHL while 60 is a good number. I doubt we need more. There are actually voices overseas advocating less games in the NHL. But if we hve to have 60 games we still need to fit the schedule with the international tournaments. If we won't, we are no better than the NHL egotists. Over time things might change and there might emerge a better solution for all parties, but the KHL schouldn't act like king of the hill.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Well to me it's not about how long they can rest but at what time. Frankly, to me, it's not even about them but about me. Who the hell thinks it's a good idea to start season in August and end it in February? Probably same people who came up with that great KHL schedule where we have 10 games at the same time but only every second day.

The question we should really be asking is that since all the European top hockey countries focus heavily on their national teams and the Worlds, how much benefit is there in having a post season that lasts almost two months? The regular fixtures for the national teams won't have been palying competitive games for over two months before the Worlds or will be pretty beat up if they make to the semifinals or finals. Some Finns playing in the KHL already said this year during Team Finland's training camp (which begins a couple weeks after the regualr season is over in Finland) that it's hard to keep your form when you haven't played a competitive game since February and the Worlds are still so far away and your mind and body are longing for the off-season. Would it be better for all if the KHL at least maed the first round (or even the second) of the playoffs a best of 5 series? I mean we've already established that the Russian clubs don't care about revenue and profit so what's the point in prolonging the season? To copy the NHL for the sake of copying?

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
In terms of watching hockey in July, I much prefer meaningful AIHL (Australia) games to KHL preseason. The northern hemisphere season will be here soon enough, no need to rush it and hurt both the players and the quality of play once the KHL games begin to count.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
The question we should really be asking is that since all the European top hockey countries focus heavily on their national teams and the Worlds, how much benefit is there in having a post season that lasts almost two months? The regular fixtures for the national teams won't have been palying competitive games for over two months before the Worlds or will be pretty beat up if they make to the semifinals or finals. Some Finns playing in the KHL already said this year during Team Finland's training camp (which begins a couple weeks after the regualr season is over in Finland) that it's hard to keep your form when you haven't played a competitive game since February and the Worlds are still so far away and your mind and body are longing for the off-season. Would it be better for all if the KHL at least maed the first round (or even the second) of the playoffs a best of 5 series? I mean we've already established that the Russian clubs don't care about revenue and profit so what's the point in prolonging the season? To copy the NHL for the sake of copying?

Did it occur to you that there is a direct correlation between the number of games and the amount of revenue? The more games, the more revenue. Its as simple as that. I can't imagine how this concept is even discussed.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Did it occur to you that there is a direct correlation between the number of games and the amount of revenue? The more games, the more revenue. Its as simple as that. I can't imagine how this concept is even discussed.

But as I said, several Russian posters have made it very clear that revenue/profit doesn't matter in the end to club bosses. They care about winning only.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
Regulars. The league thought it would be a smart idea to have the season start in August already when naturally everyone in Europe is so excited about hockey!

I do find this a bit humorous when so many Europeans love to trash having the Canada / World Cup in late August.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
But as I said, several Russian posters have made it very clear that revenue/profit doesn't matter in the end to club bosses. They care about winning only.

Totally different issue! Completely irrelevant to the length of the season or when the season starts.

IamherefortheFinn

ObsessedWithTheLion
May 24, 2015
Trio Areena
I'm going to the Jokerit - Ska preseason game on Thursday. It seems a bit weird to see ice hockey this early in the year, a lot of people are still on their summer vacation.

Having said that it also feels weird to watch NHL games as late of the year as in June.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Having said that it also feels weird to watch NHL games as late of the year as in June.

Yeah, its crazy. Way too many regular season games at 82 & the season itself far far too long. They should start late September & be done no later than mid-April..... Yet the KHL? And I understand why so early a start, thats equally insane. Both leagues messing up, losing eyeballs, fan interest, new customers, all kinds of inventory (seats) going unsold as a result.

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki
oh I got the sarcasm. I find it funny since I've seen Russian poster talk at length about how awful hockey in August is in the context of the Canada / World Cup, but now their own domestic league is starting in July.

These are friendlies/preseason games. The league starts in late August. That's pretty early too, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad