KHL Expansion Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

KTl

Apr 11, 2019
Since 2018 we have heard about negotiations with the German side. Tripcke & especially Reindl are very active from the German side.

If you are asking about DEB & KHL joint project, go to the KHL website or statements of the KHL´s officials in media. I will help you, the statement was done just a month ago.

Gernot Tripcke is Managing Director of DEL. He has no authority and no interest in discussing a German KHL expansion team.

About Franz Reindls statement, I would like to remind you about the reply you got from DEB on Twitter:

Reactions: Jussi

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
No European person wants to join. Look at the dead corpses of teams: Poprad, Praha, Medvescak, Slovan. Look at the failed attempts. There's too many to count.

Medvescak was a victim of a Croatian business fraud that put the country in recession(but was inherently unstable). Poprad I never understood, Prague was a backer/political issue, Slovan incompetence.

t0ny

Apr 8, 2008
For what is worth, regarding a KHL team in France, last time i heard Tardiff spoke about it he said there was nothing serious.
The french federation still batling where the hypothetical team may be located: Paris or Marseille

I don't believe there will be a khl team in France in the near futur, atlas the KHL subventionned it heavily.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
For what is worth, regarding a KHL team in France, last time i heard Tardiff spoke about it he said there was nothing serious.
The french federation still batling where the hypothetical team may be located: Paris or Marseille

I don't believe there will be a khl team in France in the near futur, atlas the KHL subventionned it heavily.

a KHL team in Marseille would be so cool. obviously paris as well. If they could get some kind of association with OM it might be a hit

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
All the problem with expansion is that people do not follow all informations. Yes, there was news about locations a year ago, including Paris or Marseille. But it is not a question anymore, it is already decided the team will be in Paris (if joins the KHL). And Total S.A. CEO expressed his readiness to finance the club.

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016
All the problem with expansion is that people do not follow all informations. Yes, there was news about locations a year ago, including Paris or Marseille. But it is not a question anymore, it is already decided the team will be in Paris (if joins the KHL). And Total S.A. CEO expressed his readiness to finance the club.

And can you corroborate that with credible sources, which also aren’t exclusively from Russia?

t0ny

Apr 8, 2008
Yep i don't follow the infos like you are but i try to keep in touch with everything related to hockey in France, i even read what u wrote i guess ( https://allbeardnoteeth.com/international-development-of-the-khl-and-league-games-in-paris/ )

Of course Paris got the team, that was a sure thing, i don't think pro hockey could survive in Marseille anyway. First have few KHL games in Paris then will see how it goes.

For the record, iam all for a KHL team in Paris and iam sure there is a public for pro hockey in Paris but i don't think it will happen in the next 2 years for example

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
It is fine if ordinary fans do not follow all the statements. Especially if they are not translated from Russian to their native language.

Even a pure translation is not enough. You need to know all personalities like Chernyshenko, Medvedev, Fetisov & others who comment on the expansion. And you need to know why they comment it and how. Plus you need to follow topics not related to hockey. It is very difficult to make conclusions on the topic.

I said it many times, but I can repeat it again. Chernyshenko has never talked "fairytales," he is a personality who comments only facts. If there are no facts available, he chooses not to comment on anything. Or he says ordinary phrases like we are in touch with many European clubs and we will inform media when agreements are signed.

If I remember, "French talks" started to appear in media when Timchenko commented it for the press. He usually does not comment on anything, so he had a reason for such behaviour. Later, Chernyshenko said that talks with French are happening, he said the location is not chosen yet. Even Tardif commented it when being in Russia because journalists asked him. Then French business had a meeting with Putin, where the Russian President proposed them to finance the French KHL club. There is even a video for it. Total S.A. CEO immediately said he supports the idea & will discuss it with Timchenko who was sitting next to him. And there was a statement from French side they support Paris as a based city.

Of course, you can verify it and consider if all said is true or not. I just comment on the process of negotiations. They are not easy, especially if you negotiate with the French government, arena owner, sponsors, French hockey federation & others.

There is little information for Germans, but it is clear for me that negotiations are happening. We need to wait for results, but negotiations are a fact. It is not even difficult to predict the city, but let's wait.

As said by Chernyshenko, the league needs strong financial guarantees from the club, strong support from government & hockey federation. The KHL does not need to expand just to expand, they need to get a strong team. And it does not matter if this happens next year or five years later. They are not in a hurry.

The KHL negotiates just with clubs and countries who want to join the league.

Last edited:

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
What kind of a weird language is that, vorky? You went from a biased journalist to a cult member in no time. OK, we get it, we mere mortals are too stupid to understand the glorious Chernyshenko group. I really don't understand why you keep pushing the same narrative. KHL is not profitable. Nobody is interested in joining as of yet. The league wants to expand but it has no concrete plans. We'll see what happens in the future. Why is it so difficult to accept that? It's not like this is a very embarrassing thing to say or admit. Something that should be hidden. We already see it. The league is not going anywhere. If it can hold onto the teams it already has, then I'd take it as a win. This cult-member-like rhetoric of "You know nothing" is getting out of hand.

Reactions: vtmx, KTl and Jussi

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
You do not need to be personal here.

Tell me please that there have not been any negotiations with anybody. Just say this if you think so.

All I say is that negotiations are happening. That is all I say. If you think the opposite, I am fine with your position.

Regarding Chernyshenko. Politely I will remind you why I described Chernyshenko´s style of work. As you know, his style of work is the opposite of Medvedev´s style of work. I just wanted to point it out, because it is very important in the case. But I am sure that every fan of the KHL is aware of it, so yes, nothing new in my words.

How do you know that "The league ... has no concrete plans."? Give me proof and its source.

I will politely remind you your earlier words on Arena Omsk. You accused Avangard´s management from "doing nothing with the arena." I believe you listened to Krylov´s interview where he replied such Avangard´s fans, "yes, they think we are doing nothing with arena because the old venue is still in place, no works. But meantime we have done a lot with the project of the new venue, we attended many venues in the world, we secured the financing, agreed with FHR & IIHF the WJC to be played in Omsk. That is a lot of work not seen by fans." Of course, that is just from my head, not a direct translation, you can verify it, but you get the point. Even if you do not see the results right now, it does not mean the process is not happening behind the closed doors.

So, I can ask you again. Tell us there are no negotiations with anybody if you think so.

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016
It is fine if ordinary fans do not follow all the statements. Especially if they are not translated from Russian to their native language.

Even a pure translation is not enough. You need to know all personalities like Chernyshenko, Medvedev, Fetisov & others who comment on the expansion. And you need to know why they comment it and how. Plus you need to follow topics not related to hockey. It is very difficult to make conclusions on the topic.

I said it many times, but I can repeat it again. Chernyshenko has never talked "fairytales," he is a personality who comments only facts. If there are no facts available, he chooses not to comment on anything. Or he says ordinary phrases like we are in touch with many European clubs and we will inform media when agreements are signed.

If I remember, "French talks" started to appear in media when Timchenko commented it for the press. He usually does not comment on anything, so he had a reason for such behaviour. Later, Chernyshenko said that talks with French are happening, he said the location is not chosen yet. Even Tardif commented it when being in Russia because journalists asked him. Then French business had a meeting with Putin, where the Russian President proposed them to finance the French KHL club. There is even a video for it. Total S.A. CEO immediately said he supports the idea & will discuss it with Timchenko who was sitting next to him. And there was a statement from French side they support Paris as a based city.

Of course, you can verify it and consider if all said is true or not. I just comment on the process of negotiations. They are not easy, especially if you negotiate with the French government, arena owner, sponsors, French hockey federation & others.

There is little information for Germans, but it is clear for me that negotiations are happening. We need to wait for results, but negotiations are a fact. It is not even difficult to predict the city, but let's wait.

As said by Chernyshenko, the league needs strong financial guarantees from the club, strong support from government & hockey federation. The KHL does not need to expand just to expand, they need to get a strong team. And it does not matter if this happens next year or five years later. They are not in a hurry.

The KHL negotiates just with clubs and countries who want to join the league.

So that’s a no on the sources then? Ok, got it

You do not need to be personal here [...]

How do you know that "The league ... has no concrete plans."? Give me proof and its source.

[..]

So, I can ask you again. Tell us there are no negotiations with anybody if you think so.

Yup are kidding right? You don’t supply any sources of your own, just the the same two sentences and justify it with „Chernyshenko said so, so you know it’s true“, but demand sources for everything from everyone who doesn’t agree with you?

Also, you ask members, I assume Hansomreiste in this case, to come out and state that he thinks there aren’t any negotiations going on (which him and Barclay Donaldson have repeatedly done with coherent arguments and sometimes sources of why they think it ain’t happening).

Reactions: Jussi

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
@mkev400

I said that Chernyshenko speaks publicly only about things which are based on facts.

When there are many reports indicating the negotiations are happening, I am just curious what are his sources saying the opposite. That is all.

I do not demand sources for obvious news, which are available to every KHL fan. But that is not this case.

KTl

Apr 11, 2019
Sorry, it is difficult for me. Which city do you predict?

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Sorry, it is difficult for me. Which city do you predict?

The only ones available without something extremely drastic changing are Frankfurt and Hamburg.. I believe.

A German KHL team is not something I think will happen anytime soon though.

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016
The only ones available without something extremely drastic changing are Frankfurt and Hamburg.. I believe.

The only likely city is Hamburg. Frankfurt May not be in the DEL, but have been putting in their application to move up to the DEL from DEL2 for a number of years, if someone were to drop out, in the same way Bremerhaven was promoted when Hamburg failed.
Hamburg as a city has no team in the pipeline with the crocodiles struggling financially in the lower tiers of I recall.

However, as Rigafan said, it’s very unlikely to happen anytime soon

Reactions: Rigafan

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010

Hamburg is a very interesting place, DEB recommended that city to the KHL. Let us wait.

How many years is "anytime soon"?

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016
Hamburg is a very interesting place, DEB recommended that city to the KHL. Let us wait.

Got a source for the recommendation? All I can find on the DEB saying anything about Hamburg and the KHL is from the Hamburger Abendblatt in 2016 (German). Among others the Article says that the KHL was looking at Hamburg as a location for a relocated Swedish Team that could be playing out of Hamburg in the KHL (Sounds a lot like Crowns) and in terms of the DEB mentioning Hamburg, this is stated in the article:

Ohnehin ist man beim DEB nicht gewillt, einen Präzedenzfall zu schaffen und einem deutschen Team die Freigabe für eine Teilnahme an einem ausländischen Wettbewerb zu gewähren. „Es gibt keine Anfrage. Damit ein deutsches Team in der KHL spielen kann, müssen der Weltverband IIHF, der DEB und die Deutsche Eishockey-Liga (DEL) zustimmen, was sie aber nicht beabsichtigen“, sagt DEL-Sprecher Matthias Schumann.

"In any case, the DEB is unwilling to set a precedent and grant approval to a German team for participation in a foreign competition. "There has been no inquiry/request. For a German team to play in the KHL, the IIHF, the DEB and the DEL must agree, which they do not intend to" DEL spokesman Matthias Schumann said"

So according to the most recent article that I could find on the subject, neither the DEL or the DEB are willing to make it happen as reported in the media, and any focus on Hamburg is by the KHL and a Russian Millionaire/Billionaire.
If you have evidence (sources we all can see) that provide the contrary, Id be happy to be proven wrong as I liked going to Freezers games and would live to seem them come back.

Reactions: Jussi and Rigafan

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe

I think one mayor obstacle is the Arena in Hamburg being owned by AEG. I don't see a US Company allowing a KHL team to use their arena for the majority of nights per year. I mean, somebody could buy it from them tomorrow and put a team next year, if so then cool, I'd like to see hockey back in Hamburg, but I feel like it would be further down the line because of AEG being in the way.

The other issues being what @mvkev400 explained.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I think one mayor obstacle is the Arena in Hamburg being owned by AEG. I don't see a US Company allowing a KHL team to use their arena for the majority of nights per year. I mean, somebody could buy it from them tomorrow and put a team next year, if so then cool, I'd like to see hockey back in Hamburg, but I feel like it would be further down the line because of AEG being in the way.

The other issues being what @mvkev400 explained.
Fair point, plus there is another issue with the arena - the ice surface.

@mkev400
Your article is from 2016. So many things have happened since 2016. I can recommend you to read the statement by Kobylyanski in July 2019.

Гамбург - хорошее место, его нам советовала Федерация хоккея Германии. Там играл клуб "ДЕЛ", который, к сожалению, разорился.

Hamburg is a wonderful place, the German ice hockey federation (DEB) recommended us that city. There was a team playing the DEL, but the club ceased to exist.

Just to make it clear. Nobody saying the KHL will soon expand to Hamburg. There is only the fact that DEB has talked to the KHL about their projects & recommended Hamburg. That is what we know right now. Perhaps we will know more in the future.

Last edited:

KTl

Apr 11, 2019
Just to make it clear. Nobody saying the KHL will soon expand to Hamburg. There is only the fact that DEB has talked to the KHL about their projects & recommended Hamburg. That is what we know right now

Again, Kobylyanskis statement is about one game, not a KHL team.

Regardless, I wonder who at DEB suggested Hamburg to KHL. Everyone in DEB knows that the ice machines in Hamburg were sold over a year ago. So this was either a very stupid recommendation or someone had a laugh (or Kobylyanski was referring back to – also non-confirmed – talks with DEB 2016).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia