KHL Expansion Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016
No idea. Tried to do a search but I can't find any information.

The only thing I could see is Reading FC is owned by Chinese businessman Dong Yongee (from Harbin!) and Reading is a hub for major tech companies.. I mean that is a REAL push and rubbish speculation but I don't see who else would have that type of money in a town like Reading.

To me that bit reads just like smoke and mirror to give the rumor a bit more credibility as non-London centric, maybe. From here in Ireland it seems that whenever any development in the UK is announced, half the people (from London) moan that London doesnt need it (especially when it comes to entertainment venues) and the other half of the country is moaning that any development only happens in London when every single spot outside it needs the development.

The other problem with this rumor is, that its all based on the Daily mail (or whatever crude version of the name you prefer). That paper is about as trustworthy and accurate when reporting on any information as a Nigerian EMail Scam...

Reactions: Rigafan and KTl

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
To me that bit reads just like smoke and mirror to give the rumor a bit more credibility as non-London centric, maybe. From here in Ireland it seems that whenever any development in the UK is announced, half the people (from London) moan that London doesnt need it (especially when it comes to entertainment venues) and the other half of the country is moaning that any development only happens in London when every single spot outside it needs the development.

The other problem with this rumor is, that its all based on the Daily mail (or whatever crude version of the name you prefer). That paper is about as trustworthy and accurate when reporting on any information as a Nigerian EMail Scam...

Nothing put in the Daily Mail should be trusted unless specific references are posted with it!

My mention of the Chinese business guy was me really digging for information. There is nothing tieing him to hockey other than being from Harbin...

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016
Nothing put in the Daily Mail should be trusted unless specific references are posted with it!

My mention of the Chinese business guy was me really digging for information. There is nothing tieing him to hockey other than being from Harbin...

I will admit that after the conversation drifted away into Chernyshenko factoids (May have somewhat contributed to that), I only grabbed the latest post on the discussion of tying the KHL to the UK to voice my opinion on it ;)

That’s some impressive digging, though. Clearly indicates a lot of smoke and mirrors though if that’s the closest „logical“ connection that can be made. Safe to say we both agree that this is a daily h...Ehm...Mail nothingness.

Reactions: Rigafan

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
I will admit that after the conversation drifted away into Chernyshenko factoids (May have somewhat contributed to that), I only grabbed the latest post on the discussion of tying the KHL to the UK to voice my opinion on it ;)

That’s some impressive digging, though. Clearly indicates a lot of smoke and mirrors though if that’s the closest „logical“ connection that can be made. Safe to say we both agree that this is a daily h...Ehm...Mail nothingness.

Exactly! and Reading? I mean its a population of around 110k people. Normal small commuter town that is in a different county to London so you couldn't call them 'London' and get away with it it wouldn't make sense. There is no chance any team goes to Reading.

London, who knows? Reading no way at all.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
I was running some numbers for a KHL team at Wembley:(all in £)

Hall rental(33 dates @29.9k): .957mm
Charter costs: 3mm(being generous)
Wages, equipment & whatnot: 10mm
Front office: 1mm
Back office & game night: 2mm

So a total of £17mm in costs.

If you sold out every game at Wembley at an average £30 ticket: £11.25mm
Concessions:8mm revenue, 5mm profit

Being generous:
Dasher ads: 2mm
Sponsors(local): 3mm
Other arena ads would have to be split with arena management.

Then what they get from the league sponsors. They would have to get a separate TV deal from the KHL Premiere Sports package.

Man, that’s cutting it close.

Last edited:

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
I was running some numbers for a KHL team at Wembley:(all in £)

Hall rental(33 dates @29.9k): .957mm
Charter costs: 3mm(being generous)
Wages, equipment & whatnot: 10mm
Front office: 1mm
Back office & game night: 2mm

So a total of £17mm in costs.

If you sold out every game at Wembley at an average £30 ticket: £11.25mm
Concessions:8mm revenue, 5mm profit

Being generous:
Dasher ads: 2mm
Sponsors(local): 3mm
Other arena ads would have to be split with arena management.

Then what they get from the league sponsors. They would have to get a separate TV deal from the KHL Premiere Sports package.

Man, that’s cutting it close.

Looking at it through Western European eyes it is yeah! Bit its not even pocket change to a company like Gazprom!

Section Netherlands

Feb 8, 2019
Looking a bit att Dinamo Sankt Peterburg vs Buran. Decent crowd as discussed before. What stands out however, is that the production around the game is much better than I would have expected. With marketing and bigger budget this could become a good product. SKA needs some local competition.

Reactions: EvilDead

singlesliceofcheese

May 9, 2018
I have an honest question for all, let's assume Humo does gain entry into the KHL somewhat soon. In this hypothetical, who do you think would be next on the list? (Excuse my Western ignorance)

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I have an honest question for all, let's assume Humo does gain entry into the KHL somewhat soon. In this hypothetical, who do you think would be next on the list? (Excuse my Western ignorance)

It is difficult to say. There are not many places where the city and arena and ownership is each prepared, like in Tashkent. The only somewhat realistic stories after this are a second St. Petersburg team or a team in UAE in Arabia. The KHL has actually taken steps to get fewer, but more healthy teams in recent history. Rapid expansion outside of Tashkent is not something to expect in the future.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
We need to wait for Rene Fasel to take his role in the league. Read here & here, plus if you wish, I can provide you with the links in Russian.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Also, regarding the 2nd team in Peter, correct me if I'm wrong but there wasn't really any talks about it outside of fan/media speculation about how it could be done. I don't think SKA would allow it to happen.

Section Netherlands

Feb 8, 2019
Also, regarding the 2nd team in Peter, correct me if I'm wrong but there wasn't really any talks about it outside of fan/media speculation about how it could be done. I don't think SKA would allow it to happen.
You are likely correct. But it is easy to dream about, especially when other expansion news are scarce.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
So Fasel is going to be the new point man for expansion? He has some pretty big shoes to fill! Do you guys think he can be even half as successful with Pan-European expansion as the 3-D Chess playing super-genius Chernyshenko was?:dunno:

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
I read a lot of comments on the HUMO expansion and the general theme was "how can you exclude Lada but include this".

As nice as the exotic expansions are, and HUMO seem to be doing well so fair play to them. There are some VHL teams what would be nice to take the step up. Although I guess they'd need new arena's first.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I read a lot of comments on the HUMO expansion and the general theme was "how can you exclude Lada but include this".

Lada's arena has 6,600 capacity and Tashkent's arena has 12,500 capacity. Tolyatti's population is less than 3/4 million. Tashkent's population is 2.5 million. The KHL is trying to increase revenues with big arenas. They don't need to add more small cities with small arenas.

Reactions: singlesliceofcheese

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
So Fasel is going to be the new point man for expansion? He has some pretty big shoes to fill! Do you guys think he can be even half as successful with Pan-European expansion as the 3-D Chess playing super-genius Chernyshenko was?:dunno:

Besides the obvious sarcasm, no. He doesn't have Kummola keeping him in check anymore.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Dubai has to be the next expansion team. I imagine it won't be hard to bring players from the NHL there, plus it brings a good footprint for the game of hockey and what else I know is there are tons of Canadians who work out there that would love to watch hockey games there.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Dubai has to be the next expansion team. I imagine it won't be hard to bring players from the NHL there, plus it brings a good footprint for the game of hockey and what else I know is there are tons of Canadians who work out there that would love to watch hockey games there.

No way. Dubai has the money, but it's a terrible place to put a hockey team. There's too many issues in the United Arab Emirates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->