KHL Expansion Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The way Azerbaijan is throwing money at everything it was only a question of time when will they get around to the KHL. Another dumb project from the big picture perspective but this one is definitely doable.

Reactions: Witte49

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Lmfao this is getting out of hand

It's approaching this:

DisfiguredEdibleAlligatorsnappingturtle-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Exarz

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Talking about potential markets, today's Barys game in Almaty gathered 11k people.

If I recall correctly, this was discussed here some years ago and I remember being told that the main problem with a team based in Almaty is Kazakhstan not having good enough players to feature at KHL level with two Kazakh teams. Not sure how accurate this is, just wanted to point it out. Personally speaking, I never understood why KHL doesn't try harder for Krasnoyarsk and Almaty. It makes much more sense than Paris or London.

Last edited:

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Those are two of the biggest bandy towns in the former Soviet Union which may play a role.

Obviously, I'm not from a town where hockey or bandy is big so I can't speak about the psychology of the locals but wouldn't it be actually easier to attract crowds in a city with such a long history of winter sports? They know what it is about. They like it. KHL is a much more prestigious tournament than bandy championship and the games are not even that different from each other. Moreover, Krasnoyarsk and Almaty have a combined population of more than 2.5m people. I want to believe that it shouldn't be a huge deal to fill up two arenas every three or four days. It's not like bandy lovers need to go to hockey games, there should always be someone else to go watch it.

Again, maybe KHL has good reasons in order not to venture into Krasnoyarsk & Almaty market or they simply see no interest at all from the cities themselves but I would love to see two teams based in these cities. Westwards expansion is not that difficult, to be honest. KHL has always been obsessed about it. However, when it comes to eastwards expansion, you have limited options for a high-quality team. If they don't want another abomination like Kunlun, I'd say they really need to look into Krasnoyarsk and Almaty. Big cities with good enough arenas, history and culture of winter sports etc... There is no better candidate than those two. Two eastern KHL teams is more than enough for a healthy expansion. Find one or two stable western clubs as well, implement hard salary cap and voila, now you got a really decent league everyone can be kinda proud of.

Reactions: CPFC

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Obviously, I'm not from a town where hockey or bandy is big so I can't speak about the psychology of the locals but wouldn't it be actually easier to attract crowds in a city with such a long history of winter sports? They know what it is about. They like it. KHL is a much more prestigious tournament than bandy championship and the games are not even that different from each other. Moreover, Krasnoyarsk and Almaty have a combined population of more than 2.5m people. I want to believe that it shouldn't be a huge deal to fill up two arenas every three or four days. It's not like bandy lovers need to go to hockey games, there should always be someone else to go watch it.

Again, maybe KHL has good reasons in order not to venture into Krasnoyarsk & Almaty market or they simply see no interest at all from the cities themselves but I would love to see two teams based in these cities. Westwards expansion is not that difficult, to be honest. KHL has always been obsessed about it. However, when it comes to eastwards expansion, you have limited options for a high-quality team. If they don't want another abomination like Kunlun, I'd say they really need to look into Krasnoyarsk and Almaty. Big cities with good enough arenas, history and culture of winter sports etc... There is no better candidate than those two. Two eastern KHL teams is more than enough for a healthy expansion. Find one or two stable western clubs as well, implement hard salary cap and voila, now you got a really decent league everyone can be kinda proud of.

Eastward expansion seems to make much more sense, to me at least. The talk of Almaty not having enough KZ players isn't fair. Look at Kunlun.. They can just use Russians/Imports and it will work out. Kazakhstan seems to enjoy hockey, they have a decent domestic league, good talent overall and a government that supports it, it'd only make sense to try and take advantage of that.

I think I know what you mean with the KHL being more prestigious? Its a big professional league, its got money and media ect? But for instance the youngest team in the Russian Bandy Super League is 45 years old. Krasnoyarsk's team is 85 years old! I'd say that carries quite a lot of prestige!

I agree surely in a city with a history of winter sports it shouldn't be difficult to adopt hockey

Reactions: KTl and CPFC

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Eastward expansion seems to make much more sense, to me at least. The talk of Almaty not having enough KZ players isn't fair. Look at Kunlun.. They can just use Russians/Imports and it will work out. Kazakhstan seems to enjoy hockey, they have a decent domestic league, good talent overall and a government that supports it, it'd only make sense to try and take advantage of that.

I think I know what you mean with the KHL being more prestigious? Its a big professional league, its got money and media ect? But for instance the youngest team in the Russian Bandy Super League is 45 years old. Krasnoyarsk's team is 85 years old! I'd say that carries quite a lot of prestige!

I agree surely in a city with a history of winter sports it shouldn't be difficult to adopt hockey
bandy has no future, too expansive to built indoor rinks and fans are too spoiled to freeze their as...s off in the open air.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe

Found a video of Tashkent's last game. How do you think the attendance fared? I don't think it's awful for a new franchise playing in a second-tier league.

From the VHL

Место проведения: г.Ташкент ''HUMO ARENA"
2680 зрителей

So 2,680. Obviously the arena is decent sized but I don't think anybody is/was expecting them to be selling out games just yet. I'd agree its a good figure for them so far.

Reactions: singlesliceofcheese

singlesliceofcheese

May 9, 2018
From the VHL

Место проведения: г.Ташкент ''HUMO ARENA"
2680 зрителей

So 2,680. Obviously the arena is decent sized but I don't think anybody is/was expecting them to be selling out games just yet. I'd agree its a good figure for them so far.
Yeah, that's not bad for a country that has limited grassroots. I'm hoping the team can improve to gain more spectators, thus proving to be a decent spot for the KHL.

Reactions: Rigafan

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Some "news" on the KHL talking with potential teams in England again. London and Reading (this one is surprising because Reading is just a small/general town not sure how that would work out) - its the Daily Mail so don't take it too serious.

Kontinental Hockey League plots expansion to England | Daily Mail Online
I would not use the term "again", but "still" As I have said many times, the negotiations with European clubs have never stopped. Event hough some posters here claimed the opposite because of the political situation at the time. They tried to persuade us that the KHL is not interested in Europe anymore.

We need to understand the author was invited by the KHL for a press-tour in Moscow and St.Petersburg. As I followed the situation, his colleagues have so warm & positive feelings after that KHL trip. The meeting with Chernyshenko was a part of the trip.

What is new here? I quote: "I have been to England to talk to two possible franchises." Do you remember what I have said? Chernyshenko talks about facts and facts only. If there is no fact to reveal, he chooses to say nothing on the topic.

Regarding Reading. Who is that "a consortium keen to develop a new indoor arena complex based in Reading"?

The most important part of the interview is "I wouldn't like to put a time frame on it because we have to make absolutely sure we go with the right people. We would want them to be in this for the long-haul and I have to make sure they can make that commitment."

The global environment is totally different now than it was a few years ago. It much friendly mood for the KHL´s expansion to Europe. But it can take some time. Everything needs to be prepared.

And I would not only look at the UK, but there are also other countries.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Regarding Reading. Who is that "a consortium keen to develop a new indoor arena complex based in Reading"?

No idea. Tried to do a search but I can't find any information.

The only thing I could see is Reading FC is owned by Chinese businessman Dong Yongee (from Harbin!) and Reading is a hub for major tech companies.. I mean that is a REAL push and rubbish speculation but I don't see who else would have that type of money in a town like Reading.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
No idea. Tried to do a search but I can't find any information.

The only thing I could see is Reading FC is owned by Chinese businessman Dong Yongee (from Harbin!) and Reading is a hub for major tech companies.. I mean that is a REAL push and rubbish speculation but I don't see who else would have that type of money in a town like Reading.
Thanks

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
It's not that the KHL is not interested in Europe, it's that Europe isn't interested in the KHL.
You can think whatever you want.

Do you really mean that all KHL executive & other involved personalities are fools who do not know what they are doing? Because this is a direct explanation of your words.

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016
So, how would you characterise Chernyshenko & the style of his interviews if my description is not correct?

The word that I would use is reserved. He certainly seems to keep his cards close to his chest. But in all fairness, just because someone is reserved doesn’t mean that all they say is 100% true and should be treated as gospel either. All it means that when he speaks about a rumor, it’s likely going to get more traction in the media, cause he provides updates so rarely, and he has followed through on some radical plans in the past like the contraction to 24 teams.
In fact, he could be making up the most outlandish rumor in the world and passing it off as genuine, because he knows it can be portrayed as a serious proposal because he is so reserved (Saudi Arabia, anyone?? :) )
In reality i think it’s a happy medium, where he probably has realized that European expansion isn’t making any headway, despite it being a key concept since the leagues creation. He’s neither confirming nor denying any rumors and just keeps repeating stuff like „of course we are interested in [name a place in Europe]“. It keeps the door open, and maintains the illusion that progress is being made. Given the core idea of the league, one could argue that it’s a little job security as well, maybe... but that’s just my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad