KHL Expansion part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

robwangjing

Jul 10, 2013
Beijing
Yes more meetings to come. On Friday with the Swede Håkan Södergren, absolutely someone that would say "-Go for it!" about this idea. He is the head chief/president of Elitehockey, which is the co-joint owner of all teams in the Norwegian league. Or something like that.

What has been said from KHL is that If a team in Norway wants to play in KHL next season they are welcome to, but they must decide before November 1 this fall.

What has been said from NIHF is that If a team in Norway wants to play in the KHL it's up to the club itself to decide. And that there will be more discussions the coming day(s?).

As of now there are more or less four arenas that have been approved, and one rejected by KHL.

Approved by KHL:
Hamar OL Amfi - Cap. 6 000, built in 1992. (Team: Storhamar Dragons)
HÃ¥kons Hall - Cap. 10 000, built in 1993. (No team today)
DNB arena - Cap. 4 500, built in 2012. (Team: Stavanger Oilers)

Rejected by KHL:
Kristin Ishall - Cap. 3 200, built in 1988. (Team: Lillehammer)

Rejected by Arena owner:
Spektrum Arena - Cap. 7 000, built in 1990. (No team today)

Also this text below got me very interested: Could there really be a Swedish team in discussion? It must happen as we speak, behind closed doors, as no media has reported on this.

From season 14/15 KHL will see an expansion of four teams. It's Jokerit, one Swedish team, most likely a team in Sochi and hopefully a team from Norway.

They also continue to say that now it's up for "Norway" if they want a team there, and also that it will most likely be a new team rather than one from the Norwegian league.

In my opinion it would be best to bring Spektrum Flyers back to life and have them play in Spektrum Arena. It's a big and fairly new arena located in central Oslo(capital city). And as mentioned before there is no current team playing there.

My next best choice is to renovate the arena of team VÃ¥lerenga(Jordal Amfi), it has a capacity of 5 500 but was built in 1975. It's in horrible shape, but if they renovate it and perhaps make it a little bigger this would also be ideal as it's located in central Oslo.

Third and fourth best choice is DNB arena in Stavanger, but is far from the capital. Best arena, best in everything, but with only a cap. of 4 500 as of today. Was built just last year and has extremely high standard. They could also try to max it out as much as possible. I think 5 500 is the limit for small adjustments. And also Hamar OL Amfi, which is fairly new and big. And located not too far from the capital city.

Last edited:

ed bruin

Feb 14, 2010
Newton
Is there a cap rule where a team has to have a minimal amount of players from the country the team is in or vice versa is there a rule restricting the number of foreign players?

I ask this because I'm looking at Zagreb's roster and they only have Croatian players and in fact a majority of their team are Canadians and this could potentially be a problem if new expansion teams, such as in Italy, would just serve as teams that would just pick up Canadians not in the NHL instead supporter their own country's players

robwangjing

Jul 10, 2013
Beijing
I don't know, but I think there is some kind of limit.

But how does it work in the NHL? If I look at Anaheim for example there are only 5 Americans and only one of them were born in California. The rest are 15 Canadians and 7 Europeans.

In Boston 2 Americans, Colorado 2, Dallas 1, Detroit 5, LA 5, NJ 5, Islanders 5 etc.

Is this a problem in USA? If not, neither in Europe.

People want to watch as good sport as possible and the higher the level the more will be interested. If the highest level of hockey in your city was watching some amateur players play hockey in a crummy small ice-rink I don't think many would pick up a stick of their own and start playing, compared to watching world class hockey in a big nice arena. Many kids would want to pick up a stick and being to play themselves, even if most of the players are foreigners.

But I would like to point out also that it's essential to have as many local/national players as possible.

My personal opinion. :nod:

Last edited:

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
KHL is running out of space: there are basically 1 place left in the league, it will be 29 teams after the Finns join next year.

IMHO, accepting Donbass was stupid. This is not a hockey city.

doctorgreg

Feb 11, 2013
Belarus
Is there a cap rule where a team has to have a minimal amount of players from the country the team is in or vice versa is there a rule restricting the number of foreign players?

As I remember, 5 players must be citizens of the country whose team they represent.

I don't know, but I think there is some kind of limit.

But how does it work in the NHL? If I look at Anaheim for example there are only 5 Americans and only one of them were born in California. The rest are 15 Canadians and 7 Europeans.

In Boston 2 Americans, Colorado 2, Dallas 1, Detroit 5, LA 5, NJ 5, Islanders 5 etc.

Is this a problem in USA? If not, neither in Europe.

People want to watch as good sport as possible and the higher the level the more will be interested. If the highest level of hockey in your city was watching some amateur players play hockey in a crummy small ice-rink I don't think many would pick up a stick of their own and start playing, compared to watching world class hockey in a big nice arena. Many kids would want to pick up a stick and being to play themselves, even if most of the players are foreigners.

But I would like to point out also that it's essential to have as many local/national players as possible.

My personal opinion. :nod:

I agree. Shame that many teams doesnt understand this. For example Dinamo Minsk this year, they signed many belarusian players (absolutly not KHL level, not even VHL level frankly speaking), and this year they will try not to be last in the whole KHL.

doctorgreg

Feb 11, 2013
Belarus
KHL is running out of space: there are basically 1 place left in the league, it will be 29 teams after the Finns join next year.

Donbass has money and they are building new 12k arena. There are many other teams that can be relegated to VHL if better teams will join KHL.

Sucro

Rhymesayers Fanboy
May 11, 2013
Vienna
All the arena options in Norway would be temprorary anyways, as all of them are smaller that 10k. IMO the best would be to take traditional VÃ¥lerenga and move it to another venue, but if not, a new club would be better than a club with a lame American nickname.

robwangjing

Jul 10, 2013
Beijing
All the arena options in Norway would be temprorary anyways, as all of them are smaller that 10k. IMO the best would be to take traditional VÃ¥lerenga and move it to another venue, but if not, a new club would be better than a club with a lame American nickname.
I think so too, the standard should be set at 10 000 capacity. But to be a little realistic I think 5-7 000 would be enough for a team in Norway for at least 5 seasons.

In 2022 Oslo might get the winter Olympics. If so there will be built two big a nice arenas in Oslo, one 10 000 and one 12 000 if I remember correctly. I think the team could even wait until then(9 years) to move to a bigger arena. And for the meantime just play in for example Hamar OL Amfi for 9 years. If the team get a lot of attendants in the coming years they can upgrade the arena.

American nickname; you mean as Dragons, Oilers and Flyers? I think this is still very popular in Scandinavia, and I don't think the name matters that much really. But it's very silly names I agree with that.

But, Oslo Viking?:sarcasm:

brec7

Nov 28, 2006
Sydney, NS

The KHL would never say it, but I think they probably know and are even planning on teams dying off in order to allow for all these new markets. If they want to go Europe wide going to Norway is probably a good strategy, there's enough hockey interest there that the KHL could draw and it's a huge step up from the current league- where as in Sweden and Finland it may be a step up from the local league, but not enough to overcome the tradition of the Swedish & Finnish leagues.

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town

Im sorry but u are so wrong. Jordal amfi is one of the worst arenas in Norway. Its old and rotten. Its impossible to get anything done in the city of Oslo because of all the bureaucracy, so u can forget a new and bigger arena. And who is gonna pay for that arena? VÃ¥lerenga? No they are planning a new football stadium and wont spend alot of money on an indoor arena. The city of Oslo wont support the arena, because they wont spend money on sports.

Stavanger is the only option.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
They are?

It's not a good idea to set u p a hockey team in a city with a team like Shakter.

The only team that can be relegated to VHL is Yugra. Relegating others will raise bloody hell.

there are 5-7 russian clubs which can be and will be relegated to VHL. ;)

Ivan94

Jun 1, 2013
Germany
amur and admiral can be sent in the Asia League Ice Hockey. geografically a much better option than KHL.

Salavat Yulaev

Jul 20, 2013
Almaty
A Norwegean club made from scratch may join KHL next season. Gazprom will be a general sponsor and cover 60% of expenditures. Norwegean club owners already gave their permit.

So maybe next year Patric Toressen will be a cap of a new KHL team :)

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
some from sportbladet:

When Sportbladet reaches Swedish Ice Hockey Federation vice-president Peter Forsberg and ask if any Swedish team that will play in the KHL season 2014/15 he sounds surprised :

- I do not know anything about this. We can not KHL 's agenda , we only know that they are trying to expand the KHL in Europe. But you can never go against the union. We have to accept - but we have not been asked . They can not act freely .
" Will maverick "

How would you imagine to such a question?

- I can not imagine that we would be interested in placing a team to the KHL . We intend to stay together Swedish hockey.

But if it formed a new Swedish team that placed in the KHL ?

- When you live outside the Swedish Ice Hockey Federation rules. But we are making all sanctions

So you have not changed my mind since you turned down AIK ?

- No, we have the same opinion as then.

Can we count on the Swedish team in the KHL season 2014/15 ?

- I would not count on it , no. I'm surprised that Finland released Jokerit . But Finland has a different structure . Our best players are playing in the NHL , while Finland has very many players in KHL

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden
some from sportbladet:

When Sportbladet reaches Swedish Ice Hockey Federation vice-president Peter Forsberg and ask if any Swedish team that will play in the KHL season 2014/15 he sounds surprised :

- I do not know anything about this. We don't know about the KHL agenda , we just know that they are trying to expand the KHL in Europe. But you can't go against the federation. We have to approve - but we have not been asked . They can not just run around wild.

How would you react to such a question?

- I can not imagine that we would be interested in releasing a team to the KHL . We intend to keep Swedish hockey together.

But what if a new Swedish team was created and placed in the KHL ?

- Then they would live outside the rules of the Swedish Ice Hockey Federation. But we are making all the sanctions, that team would be some kind of political maverick.

So you have not changed your mind since you turned down AIK ?

- No, we have the same opinion as then.

Can we count on the Swedish team in the KHL season 2014/15 ?

- I would not count on it , no. I'm surprised that Finland released Jokerit . But Finland has a different structure . Our best players are playing in the NHL , while Finland has very many players in KHL

Fixed some strange translations.. ;)

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Source: Tonight announcement of swedish club joining KHL.

I asked you, really?

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden
Source: Tonight announcement of swedish club joining KHL.

I asked you, really?

An announcement tonight? Hmm.

If it is an existing team within the swedish system, that team would need some big balls if they don't care about any federation decision.

Malmö?
Percy (former eccentric club owner/president) making a grand comeback with the backing of Hugo Stenbeck? ;) :D

robwangjing

Jul 10, 2013
Beijing
Not much new but I will try to point some interesting stuff out.

http://www.aftenposten.no/100Sport/...a-gi-kjapt-KHL-svar-394858_1.snd#.UkQc7tKtxN9

According to Smirnov:
- A 7 000 arena is what KHL wants, but a smaller arena can be okay to start with.

- City is of no importance.

- Sweden and Norway is of very high priority for KHL.

- KHL has already spoken to potential Norwegian sponsors that could cover the rest of the budget.

- If "Norway" says no or can't find a solution there are several other alternatives, one is Poland.

- KHL wants 4 new teams to join 2014/15, the league will then be complete.

robwangjing

Jul 10, 2013
Beijing
Hockeynytt is as legit as any other hockey magazine in the world.

And Dima Smirnov whom works at Hockeynytt has been the negotiator between KHL and NIHF in this matter, as he speaks Russian and Norwegian. He if someone should know what he is talking about if any reporter. :nod:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad