KHL Expansion part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

brec7

Nov 28, 2006
Sydney, NS
I still can't believe the shortsightedness of people talking about the watering down of talent of the league. Did the NHL suffer long term when they moved from the original 6? Expanding top level hockey to new hockey markets will grow the sport, which in turn will grow player development. Tapping into established hockey markets will also do this. Don't forget that these KHL teams now come with MHL junior teams too. Player development is like a Pyramid scheme. The wider the base the better. The only thing that prevents a Sidney Crosby from Andorra or a Ovechkin from Moldova is opportunity and infrastructure. The KHL is bringing that infrastructure.

The Moscow team thing has been addressed. Vityaz is going to Sochi.

Please explain how developing a strong and unified European hockey system and integrating Russian teams into it is contradictory?

From the NHL point of view, I think the whole "there was only 6 teams in the NHL so it was really strong" argument is overused. There was way more internal corruption in the NHL the O6 era, way more politics keeping teams strong/teams weak, way less scouting all which lead to many great players undiscovered. That was fixed when they brought in the universal draft-things went a bit wild in the 70's when the WHA came along but that was rectified with a merger. You'll find the odd uncovered gem but these days the best players are almost all identified. Basically, the NHL's expansion to 12 to coincided with the league becoming less bush league so that's why quality didn't take a big hit.

Currently, the KHL has 21 teams in Russia and Vityaz's relocation doesn't change that. If you're going to make a pan-European league that represents all the true hockey nations in Europe (including expanding into non traditional markets like Italy which has already been discussed), then really Russia should make up at less than half of that league. When done expanding this puts you at league that probably has at least 50 teams in it- I don't know how that's easily managed as one structure.

Again, my point of view is admittedly that out of an outsider, but it seems to me that people in Europe have concerns of this expanded KHL still being Russian dominated and are expressing as such in these forums. Three choices seem to be to either have a very Russian dominated KHL (which is the status quo, but an understandable one at the moment because it's still a growing structure), a streamlined truly representative 32ish team KHL with way less Russian teams replaced by teams elsewhere, or a MASSIVE KHL with all current teams + a bunch of new ones.

robwangjing

Jul 10, 2013
Beijing
Back in the game again?

http://www.tv2.no/sport/ishockey/khl-bekrefter-sakavickas-var-vaar-mann-i-norge-4127999.html

KHL confirmed in an e-mail to the Norwegian ice hockey federation Friday morning that they had actually sent Antanas Sakavickas to Norway to look at the possibilites to establish a Norwegian KHL-team

- KHL-office has confirmed today that Sakavickas represents them, and that he was officially sent here by Alexander Medvedev, exactly as he has said himself from the start. And that Sakavickas is working on a pre-project for them.

brev_1077796a.jpg

This is the document Sakavickas had with him to Norway.

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Medvedev just signed the bunch of papers w/o reading. He is in Vladivostok. They set him up.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
@VladNYC

I agree with your posts for last 2 days. On the other hand I can imagine the scenario I wrote. KHL might have a plan to reduce number of russian clubs. We will see.

VladNYC*

I will listen to my friend Vladimir NeXT time :)

Vladimir_Putin_in_KGB_uniform.jpg

And plz dnt hurt my Family

LOL!

Hey if you are from Norway can you answer my questions about the 10k person Hakons Hall? It seems like a good solution till a new stadium can be built in Oslo?

VladNYC said:
Littlehammer is 2 hours from Oslo give or take. You can take the Train from Oslo no prob. Will people do that on the weekends to watch hockey? Will a week day game draw enough spectators from Oppland?

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
A source from the Swiss national league confirmed rumours that Servette Geneva is looking into the possibility of joining the KHL.

Chris McSorley (Geneva owner and manager) told newspapers that its not true, however knowing McSorley that means nothing. :naughty:

No timetable has been mentioned but Geneva would definately make sense, nice city (one of the biggest in Switzerland) and planning to open a new arena in 2017.

Jokeri

Jul 1, 2013
IMHO if KHL wants to be succesfull in places like Finland, Sweden or maybe Czech they should include biggest rivalrys from there, example Jokerit/HIFK, Sparta(not Lev)/Slavia and Djurgården/AIK
I just dont know does KHL want add ****** klubs like HIFK in their brand:)?

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
LOL!

Hey if you are from Norway can you answer my questions about the 10k person Hakons Hall? It seems like a good solution till a new stadium can be built in Oslo?

HÃ¥konshall is a rly bad idea. Lillehammer is a small town with a population just above 10000 inhb. I doubt people from Oslo would travel to Lillehammer to watch a KHL game.

hc3a5kons20hallrevweb.jpg

Telenor arena is alot more realistic alternative. Its close to Oslo and its one of the largest indoor arenas in Scandinavia. Telenor arena is a 15000 all seater arena built for football (Soccer). I believe it can be expanded to at least 17000 for hockey and perhaps even more.

telenor.jpg

Telenor_Arena_86551a.jpg

Telenor_Arena_panorama.jpg

Another alternative is to expand DNB arena in Stavanger.

DNB_Arena.JPG

dsc_4827.jpg

jaco

Oct 21, 2011
A source from the Swiss national league confirmed rumours that Servette Geneva is looking into the possibility of joining the KHL.

Chris McSorley (Geneva owner and manager) told newspapers that its not true, however knowing McSorley that means nothing. :naughty:

No timetable has been mentioned but Geneva would definately make sense, nice city (one of the biggest in Switzerland) and planning to open a new arena in 2017.
Wow..... Is that for real? I thought only a new team (Helvetics) would be possible. Pulling out a team from NLA doesn't look easy to me

ult

Sep 21, 2009
There is less than 0 chance that football stadium will be accommodated for home arena. And I don't see how they can convert it to 17000 and preserve any kind of visibility, without spending the amount of money that would suffice to build a new arena from scratch.

Still, I find it strange that Oslo doesn't have a big modern arena, being the capital and whatnot.

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
There is less than 0 chance that football stadium will be accommodated for home arena. And I don't see how they can convert it to 17000 and preserve any kind of visibility, without spending the amount of money that would suffice to build a new arena from scratch.

Still, I find it strange that Oslo doesn't have a big modern arena, being the capital and whatnot.

They just need to start digging.

Edit: Indoor sports are not very popular in Norway.

Last edited:

robwangjing

Jul 10, 2013
Beijing
Telenor arena is alot more realistic alternative. Its close to Oslo and its one of the largest indoor arenas in Scandinavia. Telenor arena is a 15000 all seater arena built for football (Soccer). I believe it can be expanded to at least 17000 for hockey and perhaps even more.

It sounds great, but my biggest worry about this is that there will be a lot of empty seats and very expensive. I don't even think that any team in Europe could fill a 17 000 arena if it wasn't some special game.

Maybe could hope for an average of 3 000 in the first season, is that possible you think?

How many people attend games in GET-liga on average per season, and how many attend at most in play-offs?

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
It sounds great, but my biggest worry about this is that there will be a lot of empty seats and very expensive. I don't even think that any team in Europe could fill a 17 000 arena if it wasn't some special game.

Maybe could hope for an average of 3 000 in the first season, is that possible you think?

How many people attend games in GET-liga on average per season, and how many attend at most in play-offs?

Hockey is the most popular indoor sport, but i share Your sceptisism. Still i believe that Telenor Arena is the most realistisc alternative. The owner of the arena has stated earlier that he is very interested in WHC at Telenor Arena :)

Another important thing to mention is that the new goverment will build a new metro line from Oslo to Fornebu. It will take about 12 min from the city centre to Fornebu (metro).

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
If only it were that simple. I doubt the stadium was designed with that kind of stuff in mind, it won't be safe. Really, it's not an option.

Why wouldnt it be safe. The arena has hosted a Bieber concert, eurovision, football etc without problem. Its alot of free Space outside, so its easy to enter and exit the arena.

U just need to make some adjustments like Barcleys center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad